Start by marking “Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel

Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  41 reviews
What does it mean to be "saved by grace"? Now revised and updated, this classic reminds readers of the Reformation's radical view of God and his saving grace, the liberating yet humbling truth that we contribute nothing to our salvation. It lays out the scriptural basis for this doctrine and its implications for a vibrant evangelical faith. Horton's accessible treatment wi ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Baker Books (first published September 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Putting Amazing Back into Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting Amazing Back into Grace

Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols by John CalvinKnowing God by J.I. PackerSystematic Theology by Wayne A. GrudemThe Cross of Christ by John R.W. StottThe Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Reformed Doctrine & Theology
23rd out of 71 books — 31 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerKnowing God by J.I. PackerDesiring God by John PiperDon't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Best Books on the Gospel
68th out of 106 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Apr 12, 2012 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who really wants to get into the heart of the gospel.
Shelves: theology-books
Putting Amazing Back Into Grace is a rare treat in the realm of Christian reading. So many books in this genre which seek to expound upon the Christian faith are filled with paltry ideology -- lacking substance of any kind. Horton usually writes at a very high level because he is a systematic theology professor at WSCAL. (For instance, The Christian Faith -- which is excellent.) In this book, however, Horton steps down to reach the masses and shows his heart as a Reformed theologian. He mixes hi ...more
Brian
This book is of course not the only book out there that talks about grace and the doctrines that make up the 5 points of Calvinism, but this is one of the best I've read.
I was reformed for 6+ years and knew them pretty well but the way in which Horton expounded them and clearly laid out the gospel was astounding to my feeble mind. He wrote this book at a young age which is astounding in and of itself, and he deals with a lot of the questions, I would guess are on the minds of most every christia
Jessica
Jul 17, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book very much. Michael Horton writes in such a personal, down to earth, humble way that it helped me soak in all that he had to say! This is a wonderful book!
I've found a review of it that says exactly what I would to. Here is what the person said,

"This book gave me insight into what belief I had been raised up: one thing that I have learned as a Christian is that my parents' faith couldn't be my faith. I had to personally believe and take on my own faith. In the same way,
Wow what a great book! I cant believe I haven't read this sooner. Horton takes scripture and shows where truths are found that are being ignored. He leads us to the gospel of Christ through God's word. I had many questions about the image of God, and justification, but he showed in scripture what it is to be justified and what the image of God is and what it means to us.

The best part was the appendix. It was verse after verse making the case that salvation is a gift of God. That we exist for hi
Erik Lee
What a great introduction to Reformed theology!

Horton started writing this volume at age 13 and finally was able to finish it and get it published while in college (Biola University). True to his characteristic clarity, Horton weds exegetical and historical prowess to reveal how the Reformed tradition is grounded primarily in sound exegesis.

The text will warm your heart and hopefully fulfill its intended purpose: Horton wrote this in order to convince his family members (mainline Baptist) to s
Andrew
A good introduction to Reformed Theology
Chris J
If I could give fractional stars, I would rate it 3.8. It gets penalized .5 stars for its abominable dust jacket and horrendous title. I've chosen not read more than one book because of similar-looking covers - early-90s unfortunate. If this cover were a 1991 high school girl it would have enormous bangs and would be blaring Garth Brooks from its Fiero. And the title...who was the editor?!

The book was given me by a friend? I had no knowledge of Horton prior to this book. It's a fine read - a ref
Mark
excellent analysis of what it is to have God's grace.
Brett
A great introduction to Reformed Theology, Horton clearly and passionately explains the basics of the five-points of Calvinism, sanctification, sacraments, eschatology, covenant theology and more. More than anything, however, this work will be remembered for Horton's eloquently emphasize of God's sovereign grace in the process of salvation, making God the center, the source, and the purpose of His redemptive work. A great read and perhaps the best introduction to Reformed Theology that I've read ...more
Dana
Another great book by Michael Horton. Some of his writings can be a little difficult but this book is very entry level, easy to read. It mostly deals with the five points of Calvinism and includes a great chapter on sanctification and then wraps up with a bit on sacraments and eschatology. As always his teaching on the gospel, Christian living, and American Christianity are spot on. I especially loved his comments regarding vocation. Horton is my favorite Christian writer, hands down.
Thomas Kuhn
Overall a pretty solid explanation of the Reformed Tradition. Things I loved: chapter on the atonement, chapter on the sacraments, and chapter on the priesthood of all believers. Things I have reservations about: Horton comes across as super nit-picky at times and a couple of times he caricatures some movements within Christianity. I enjoyed the book a lot but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has just discovered the Reformed Tradition.
George Parker
This is a good entry-level layman’s introduction to Reformed theology. Horton’s book is very ‘reader friendly’. Horton examines such basic Reformed positions as the 5-points of Calvinism, the effect of the fall upon man, and free will. Horton also explains the Reformed views of baptism and the Lord’s Supper. One drawback is that Horton does not really examine covenant theology in this book.
Jacob Aitken
First book I read on Reformed theology. Offers the basic answers and presentation, yet does so in a particularly winsome manner. Of particular importance in this book is not the answers for Calvinism (those are a dime a dozen), but in how Horton structures the Covenant and its implications for church life.
Michelle
My friend (and pastors wife) suggested I read this as a starting point with my teens. WOW. Incredible! Micheal Horton really clarified a lot of things I never understood. I cannot tell you how many times he straightened out some of my heretical beliefs.

I like it so much, I am re-reading.
Dianne
I absolutely loved this book. It definitely reflected my view of faith. It was told as a reflection of the author's attempt to understand her religion. Because it came from the eyes of a child, it was very moving rather than coming off as being a lecture. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Matthew
This book is a good introduction or review of the doctrines of grace. I found it to be a little basic but in reality there is nothing basic about God's sovereign, electing, merciful grace. I would recommend it for anyone looking to see how "Calvanism" really enlivens the gospel.
Richard Minor
I greatly enjoy reading Michael Horton and this book was no different. It is an excellent introduction to reformed theology and a great read for people trying to understand many of the ways we can forget just how amazing the grace of God really is.
Lauren
Reading this one a second time...looking forward to 'refreshing' since reading it the first time about 12 years ago. Got about 1/2 way through this time...will have to shelve it to do some other reading a finish it in a few months with a friend.
Frank
He makes the doctrines of Grace easy to understand. The only place where we might disagree is on the sacramental nature of baptism and communion and on infant baptism. Aside from that, easy to read and a grat book.
William Wingate
Loved this book. Highly recommended. However, I think the chapter on the sacraments was more confusing than helpful. I wish Horton had spent a little bit more time on that section.
Todd
Do we truly know what it means to be saved by grace? Horton's outstanding and pastoral treatment of the doctrines of grace stands as one of the most pivotal books I have ever read.
Nathan Carter
Agree with 95% of what he said (he's a paedobaptist); good reminders; not a picture of elegant prose (few theologians are); like listening to The Whitehorse Inn better...
Thomas
One of the best introductions to Reformed Theology that I have ever read. It provided me with new insights into a faith that has been home to me my entire life.
Eli
A good introduction to Reformed theology for Christians who are tired of mainline staleness and predictability, though I disagree with Horton's amillennialism.
Glyn Williams
We tend to take the grace of God so casually these days. Michael Horton gives us much to think about in this challenging treatise on grace.
Andrew
Pretty good book on Reformed Theology. The book is a very easy read. Horton wrote the book in a very entertaining style.
Steven Wedgeworth
A good primer for its day, this one feels dated and is limited by Horton's peculiarities. Not the worst, but not the best.
Jenny
Good, clear writing that is sensitive but bold in covering the expanse of Reformed tenets.
Dawn
Before I became a Lutheran, this book ALMOST made me a Calvinist...but not quite. :-)
Jason Rivera
A Must read for all Christian young and old where ever you are in your walk with Christ
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses
  • Systematic Theology
  • Concise Theology
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Doctrine of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
Dr. Horton has taught apologetics and theology at Westminster Seminary California since 1998. In addition to his work at the Seminary, he is the president of White Horse Inn, for which he co-hosts the White Horse Inn, a nationally syndicated, weekly radio talk-show exploring issues of Reformation theology in American Christianity. He is also the editor-in-chief of Modern Reformation magazine. Befo ...more
More about Michael S. Horton...
Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology The Gospel Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World For Calvinism

“Election does not exclude anybody from the kingdom of God who wants in. Rather, it includes in God’s kingdom those whose direction is away from the kingdom of God and those who would otherwise remain forever in the kingdom of sin and death.” 1 likes