Start by marking “Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel

Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel

What does it mean to be saved by grace? Many believers are confused and intimidated by the doctrine of salvation, and as a result are missing out on the freedom of God's grace. This title lays out the scriptural basis for this doctrine.
Published May 1st 2002 by Baker Books (first published September 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Putting Amazing Back into Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting Amazing Back into Grace

Michelle
Aug 09, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
My friend (and pastors wife) suggested I read this as a starting point with my teens. WOW. Incredible! Micheal Horton really clarified a lot of things I never understood. I cannot tell you how many times he straightened out some of my heretical beliefs.

I like it so much, I am re-reading.
Kathy
Apr 12, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who really wants to get into the heart of the gospel.
Shelves: theology-books
Putting Amazing Back Into Grace is a rare treat in the realm of Christian reading. So many books in this genre which seek to expound upon the Christian faith are filled with paltry ideology -- lacking substance of any kind. Horton usually writes at a very high level because he is a systematic theology professor at WSCAL. (For instance, The Christian Faith -- which is excellent.) In this book, however, Horton steps down to reach the masses and shows his heart as a Reformed theologian. He mixes hi ...more
Brett
Mar 05, 2012 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
A great introduction to Reformed Theology, Horton clearly and passionately explains the basics of the five-points of Calvinism, sanctification, sacraments, eschatology, covenant theology and more. More than anything, however, this work will be remembered for Horton's eloquently emphasize of God's sovereign grace in the process of salvation, making God the center, the source, and the purpose of His redemptive work. A great read and perhaps the best introduction to Reformed Theology that I've read ...more
George Parker
This is a good entry-level layman’s introduction to Reformed theology. Horton’s book is very ‘reader friendly’. Horton examines such basic Reformed positions as the 5-points of Calvinism, the effect of the fall upon man, and free will. Horton also explains the Reformed views of baptism and the Lord’s Supper. One drawback is that Horton does not really examine covenant theology in this book.
Andrew
Mar 02, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
A good introduction to Reformed Theology
Drake
Feb 08, 2017 Drake rated it it was amazing
This is easily the best introduction to Reformed Theology I've ever read. Horton does a magnificent job of contrasting the shallowness of our modern "Americanized" theology with that of the Reformers and, ultimately, of the Bible itself. While I don't agree with everything he writes (particularly his chapter on the sacraments), his overall portrayal of God's sovereign grace from creation to the Second Coming is both powerful and practical for everyday life. If you're wanting to learn more about ...more
Jay Lloyd
Feb 05, 2017 Jay Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope for the laodicean church we are in today.

This book is worth reading multiple times. It encourages us to keep the first things first and reject the idolatrous practices so common in Americanized church practice.
Luke Thompson
Feb 15, 2017 Luke Thompson rated it really liked it
On the first edition: Good popular introduction to the doctrines of have written very, very early in Horton's career. As casual as the book is, the section on the atonement was a bit too perfunctory.
Andrew Zoll
Jan 02, 2017 Andrew Zoll rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Full of great insight. Compelling argument for the sovereignty of God. Very weak argument for infant baptism.
Jessica
Sep 17, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book very much. Michael Horton writes in such a personal, down to earth, humble way that it helped me soak in all that he had to say! This is a wonderful book!
I've found a review of it that says exactly what I would to. Here is what the person said,

"This book gave me insight into what belief I had been raised up: one thing that I have learned as a Christian is that my parents' faith couldn't be my faith. I had to personally believe and take on my own faith. In the same way,
Brian
Jun 18, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
This book is of course not the only book out there that talks about grace and the doctrines that make up the 5 points of Calvinism, but this is one of the best I've read.
I was reformed for 6+ years and knew them pretty well but the way in which Horton expounded them and clearly laid out the gospel was astounding to my feeble mind. He wrote this book at a young age which is astounding in and of itself, and he deals with a lot of the questions, I would guess are on the minds of most every christia
Feb 06, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great book! I cant believe I haven't read this sooner. Horton takes scripture and shows where truths are found that are being ignored. He leads us to the gospel of Christ through God's word. I had many questions about the image of God, and justification, but he showed in scripture what it is to be justified and what the image of God is and what it means to us.

The best part was the appendix. It was verse after verse making the case that salvation is a gift of God. That we exist for hi
Riley Sheehan
Dec 29, 2014 Riley Sheehan rated it really liked it
Great introduction to reformed theology, written in wonderfully accessible, devotional language. This, I think, is the book's strongest point. Though the book is both theologically and historically deep, it never seemed overly academic or purely informational. Each chapter builds beautifully and worshipfully on the previous. I love Horton's writing style.

As a Baptist, the chapter on sacraments seemed weaker to me (specifically the support for infant baptism), but this is to be expected.

Overall,
Erik Lee
Feb 04, 2013 Erik Lee rated it it was amazing
What a great introduction to Reformed theology!

Horton started writing this volume at age 13 and finally was able to finish it and get it published while in college (Biola University). True to his characteristic clarity, Horton weds exegetical and historical prowess to reveal how the Reformed tradition is grounded primarily in sound exegesis.

The text will warm your heart and hopefully fulfill its intended purpose: Horton wrote this in order to convince his family members (mainline Baptist) to s
Chris J
If I could give fractional stars, I would rate it 3.8. It gets penalized .5 stars for its abominable dust jacket and horrendous title. I've chosen not read more than one book because of similar-looking covers - early-90s unfortunate. If this cover were a 1991 high school girl it would have enormous bangs and would be blaring Garth Brooks from its Fiero. And the title...who was the editor?!

The book was given me by a friend? I had no knowledge of Horton prior to this book. It's a fine read - a ref
Dana
Dec 10, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Another great book by Michael Horton. Some of his writings can be a little difficult but this book is very entry level, easy to read. It mostly deals with the five points of Calvinism and includes a great chapter on sanctification and then wraps up with a bit on sacraments and eschatology. As always his teaching on the gospel, Christian living, and American Christianity are spot on. I especially loved his comments regarding vocation. Horton is my favorite Christian writer, hands down.
Connie
Jun 10, 2016 Connie rated it liked it
Horton writes a good, basic overview of the doctrines of grace. But I must say, I enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second half since the first half was more doctrinal than the second half. Towards the end he briefly touches on other topics like Gnosticism, dispensationalism, certain sacraments, eschatology, etc... While it was interesting to read, I rather he stayed on the doctrinal side of things. Overall, the book is a good intro to the reformed view of the Christian faith.
Thomas Kuhn
Jul 05, 2013 Thomas Kuhn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a pretty solid explanation of the Reformed Tradition. Things I loved: chapter on the atonement, chapter on the sacraments, and chapter on the priesthood of all believers. Things I have reservations about: Horton comes across as super nit-picky at times and a couple of times he caricatures some movements within Christianity. I enjoyed the book a lot but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has just discovered the Reformed Tradition.
Jill
May 28, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
I've read this book multiple times. It articulates God's grace and God's sovereignty better than any book outside of the Bible that I've ever read. I've read all the authors (Sproul, Packer, etc) and have not come across a more modern, easy to understand and succinct articulation of "hard things" than I have here in this book. I'm only sorry that I lent the book out and have never gotten it back so I will probably have to purchase a few more copies (mostly to lend)
Jessica Halt
Apr 21, 2016 Jessica Halt rated it liked it
Content was good and somewhat eye-opening. A few things I disagreed with made it hard to want to keep going. And there were so many quotes and references it was distracting....and made it like reading a research paper. If it wasn't required reading I wouldn't have made it through chapter one! Thank goodness it is over!
Isaiah Jesch
Mar 09, 2015 Isaiah Jesch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A classic within our own time, this work is among those books which will find a permanent place on my shelves and in the hands of those I give books as gifts.

Dr. Horton writes in an easily approachable manner, with conviction, passion, and personality. His explanation of theology is compelling and convicting.

I highly enjoy and would certainly recommend this work.
Jacob Aitken
Jul 28, 2013 Jacob Aitken rated it it was amazing
First book I read on Reformed theology. Offers the basic answers and presentation, yet does so in a particularly winsome manner. Of particular importance in this book is not the answers for Calvinism (those are a dime a dozen), but in how Horton structures the Covenant and its implications for church life.
Isaac Barton
Nov 30, 2014 Isaac Barton rated it really liked it
Sat on the shelf for a year before I read that last chapter. Helpful book though I quibble with the theology. Horton is always a little brash for my taste but he makes it clear where he stands. A solid helpful four stars.
Lauren
Jul 11, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one a second time...looking forward to 'refreshing' since reading it the first time about 12 years ago. Got about 1/2 way through this time...will have to shelve it to do some other reading a finish it in a few months with a friend.
Matthew
Nov 06, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This book is a good introduction or review of the doctrines of grace. I found it to be a little basic but in reality there is nothing basic about God's sovereign, electing, merciful grace. I would recommend it for anyone looking to see how "Calvanism" really enlivens the gospel.
Dianne
Mar 29, 2010 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I absolutely loved this book. It definitely reflected my view of faith. It was told as a reflection of the author's attempt to understand her religion. Because it came from the eyes of a child, it was very moving rather than coming off as being a lecture. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Richard Minor
Sep 18, 2013 Richard Minor rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoy reading Michael Horton and this book was no different. It is an excellent introduction to reformed theology and a great read for people trying to understand many of the ways we can forget just how amazing the grace of God really is.
Doctor VanNostrum
Dec 22, 2015 Doctor VanNostrum rated it it was amazing
An early work by one of the premier Reformed theologians of the early 21st century. Accessible to the beginning reader in theology, and perhaps a helpful read for those dissatisfied by frothy and vapid church life that is bereft of doctrinal substance.
Frank
Feb 20, 2008 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He makes the doctrines of Grace easy to understand. The only place where we might disagree is on the sacramental nature of baptism and communion and on infant baptism. Aside from that, easy to read and a grat book.
Sean
Aug 30, 2016 Sean rated it it was amazing
Great book. Michael Horton is a superb theologian and very accessible writer. He addresses the nature of God's grace, not shrinking back addresses the issues and putting forward his perspectives with sound biblical arguments difficult to disagree with. Loved it!
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • Systematic Theology
  • Concise Theology
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 2: God and Creation
  • No Other God: A Response to Open Theism
Dr. Horton has taught apologetics and theology at Westminster Seminary California since 1998. In addition to his work at the Seminary, he is the president of White Horse Inn, for which he co-hosts the White Horse Inn, a nationally syndicated, weekly radio talk-show exploring issues of Reformation theology in American Christianity. He is also the editor-in-chief of Modern Reformation magazine. Befo ...more
More about Michael S. Horton...

“Election does not exclude anybody from the kingdom of God who wants in. Rather, it includes in God’s kingdom those whose direction is away from the kingdom of God and those who would otherwise remain forever in the kingdom of sin and death.” 1 likes
“Religion is, for the most part, our way of covering ourselves, a means of sewing respectability, morality, and charity into a patchwork garment that can hide our nakedness.” 0 likes