Start by marking “Blood Royal” as Want to Read:
Blood Royal

Blood Royal

Lady Cecily Fitzhenry was ruined in the South Sea Bubble. Her husband, whom she was forced to marry by her archenemy Sir Robert Walpole as punishment for her support of a Stuart rebel, has speculated with her dowry. The only property left to her is a crumbling public house on the Great North Road. Cecily makes it into one of the great coaching inns, spies for the 'Old ...more
Published 1999 (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Royal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Royal

Louise
Jul 01, 2015 Louise rated it really liked it
Wow. A wild rollercoaster of a book! I've read all of Diana Norman's books under the name Ariana Franklin but this was very different. Very intense with almost nonstop action.
Rhode
Dec 22, 2012 Rhode rated it really liked it
Shelves: historic-fiction
Really enjoyable and feels more historically accurate than most books. An interesting perspective on Bonny Prince Charlie and the long term fallout from the rebellion of 1715 - from the English side. Includes insights into the importance of love versus laws and society, How the south sea bubble stock market crash affected people, what it was like to be a highwayman (6 month lifetime career expectancy), the rise of money over blood in high society, why the Hanoverian kings were able to stay in ...more
Bee
Nov 29, 2014 Bee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recs
This is really a blanket rec for everything Diana Norman has ever written. Her books are entertaining, so well researched, led by amazing female protagonists, and I love all of them, but Blood Royal was the first one I ever read and might still be my favorite (closely followed by Shores of Darkness).

Forced into a distasteful marriage and then ruined by her husband's speculation in the South Sea Bubble, Lady Cecily Fitzhenry vows revenge on everyone who has wronged her. Nothing if not spirited,
Ruth
Mar 28, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it
I have had this book sat on my bookshelf for years, and for some reason it's never grabbed me - not sure if it was the cover picture or the summary on the back cover that put me off!

However, I found it an enjoyable read, (Although I didn't like any of the male characters in the book!)
In the first half of the book the background story is strung out for too many pages, however the main action finale is whizzed through too quickly at the end. Parts of the story seemed unfinished and some of the cha
MB (What she read)
I really enjoyed this book. I think I am almost liking the books she wrote as Diana Norman better than the series she authored as Ariana Franklin. (Although they require a little more patience and effort than the typical mass-market reader may want to put in.)

But seriously, this was a super book if you like historical fiction. And there was a very satisfying romance tucked in, if you like that. (I do.)

Highly recommended by me!

Jody
Mar 15, 2015 Jody rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've enjoyed by this author and I'm hooked (the first being The Vizard Mask). I love how rich the characters are, especially the plucky, sometimes infuriating Cecily Fitzhenry. If you liked Gone with the Wind, the romantic aspect of this book is comparable. I like my historical fiction with a lot of history and a side of romance. This book blends them perfectly.
Prestoni
Jul 13, 2015 Prestoni rated it really liked it
Love Diana Normans writing, although the main character of this book I didn't find to be particularly likeable. lady Cecily Fitzhenry eventually made good (sort of, depending on who's telling of history you subscribe to) but it was quit the slog.
Still love how the author tells a story and will look forward to any remaining books of hers to be found.
Kristen McDermott
I'm so happy to have the chance to catch up with the great Diana Norman's earlier novels, even if I must content myself with e-books that are carelessly scanned and proofread. The occasional typo can't detract from the warmth and brilliance of Norman's prose, her humor, and her memorable heroines.
Janice Russell
Sep 09, 2012 Janice Russell rated it really liked it
An aristocratic woman falls upon hard times when she becomes involved in a plot to help a childhood friend. I liked this, but not as well as some others by the author.
Heather
Mar 07, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
I usually love this author but I couldn't get past the first few pages with the confusing language and flow of the book.
Kathy Garrelts
Kathy Garrelts rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2008
joni brown
joni brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Jelena
Jelena rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Gill
Gill rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Vivien
Vivien rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Adrien
Adrien rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Parentwm
Parentwm rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Amanda Myhre
Amanda Myhre rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Lucy Burgin
Lucy Burgin rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Eeva Doherty
Eeva Doherty rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2008
Michael Outlaw
Michael Outlaw rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Kanbus
Kanbus rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Kookleshu
Kookleshu rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Jewlzy
Jewlzy rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Imperial Purple
  • The Secret Diary of Eleanor Cobham
  • Liars and Thieves
  • The Master of all Desires
  • Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)
  • Sunrise on the Mediterranean (Time Travel, #3)
  • Root of the Tudor Rose
  • Margaret Pole: The Countess in the Tower
  • L'affaire Nicolas le Floch
  • The Devil's Ribbon
  • The Queen's Favourite

British journalist Diana Norman also writes as Ariana Franklin.

Born Mary Diana Narracott, she grew up first in London and then in Devon, where her mother took her to escape the blitz. At the age of 15, she left school, but with journalism in her background (her father had be
More about Diana Norman...