Start by marking “The Woman Novelist and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Woman Novelist and Other Stories

The Woman Novelist and Other Stories

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
There are 15 stories in this collection, all extremely varied but all sharing a sharp, sardonic quality characteristic of Diana Gardner’s work. Several of the stories in 'The Woman Novelist' are about women behaving badly, and many of them are uncomfortable reading.
Paperback, Persephone Book #64, 148 pages
Published 2006 by Persephone (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Novelist and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Novelist and Other Stories

Ali
Feb 14, 2016 Ali rated it it was amazing
Diana Gardner was a writer and artist who knew Virginia and Leonard Woolf; they were neighbours during the war. Whether Virginia Woolf ever actually read Diana’s work seems to be unknown – though she is reported to have scribbled a congratulatory note on the side of the Horizon pre-publication leaflet, which announced Diana Gardner’s story ‘The Land Girl’ would be included in the Christmas 1940 edition. The Land Girl is for me one of the best stories in this really quite superb collection. Gardn ...more
Tamara
I really do love Persphone Press. They are doing such a good thing. This book though, is probably not one of their best, at least for me. It's an anthology of short stories by Diana Gardner and most of them are quite sad or bitter. A few are kinda amusing and left me smirking to myself, which probably looked strange. But for the most part, I think it's safe to call this book melancholic. Which even though I love that kind of thing normally, this was like melancholy but with the taste of bitterne ...more
Elspeth
Mar 19, 2016 Elspeth rated it really liked it
As with most Persephone Books these are bitter sweet tales of women making the best of their lot. I truly love the publications that Persephone Books choose to print and this one was a gentle introduction to an author that I hadn't read before.
Sally Tarbox
Very, very enjoyable, June 14, 2014

This review is from: The Woman Novelist and Other Stories (Paperback)
Fifteen short stories from the 1940s, all of which I really enjoyed. The faithless mother abandoning her children...the title story of a strong woman, keeping her family going through her craft....There are a couple that keep you on tenterhooks, expecting a dreadful conclusion...And a couple of extremely funny ones, notably 'The Splash', where a young storm-trooper meets up with the author at
Cynthia Haggard
Mar 11, 2013 Cynthia Haggard rated it really liked it
Like GOODBYE MRS CRAVEN, Mollie Panter-Downes account of wartime Great Britain via short stories, Diana Gardner’s THE WOMAN NOVELIST AND OTHER STORIES, is also set in 1940s England.

But there the similarity ends, because Ms. Gardner’s stories have a very different quality from Ms Panter-Downes. Whereas the stories in GOODBYE MRS CRAVEN could best be described as a series of well-observed vignettes, the stories in THE WOMAN NOVELIST have more plot, and therefore more character development. THE LAN
Toast
Jul 13, 2014 Toast rated it really liked it
What a brilliant collection of short stories. I had heard that DG gives Chekhov a run for his money in the short story department but boy she is good! Not quite the master but I bet she had him worried.
A superb grouping of bitter-sweet gems, funny characters and period detail, all in a few pages -Genius!
Toast
Cathy
Jan 20, 2013 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: persephone-books
A delightful collection of superb short stories. I enjoyed each story, though a few stood out as quietly remarkable, eg: 'The Woman Novelist' and 'Land Girl'. For me a short story must be concise, like a shining, sea-smoothed shell - timeless, patterned with beautiful observation, delicate, direct and memorable. Short stories really are so much about the craft of writing as something quite magical and to write a few good stories in a lifetime is something to be admired.

I'll certainly look out fo
Rosemary
Jun 09, 2011 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: persephone
A lovely Persephone book with some perfect gold nuggets of stories from 1930s and 1940s England, very descriptive with a strong sense of place and character. Often, not much happens. If you like that kind of story, you will love these.
Meg
May 11, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it
The short stories that make up this collection are individual gems. Each one kept me interested in the characters/situation till the end and to be honest, some of them have stuck around even after that.
Mills College Library
fiction G2265w 2006
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Micah
Micah is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Cathy Coote
Cathy Coote marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Bookmusings
Bookmusings rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Bookmaniac70
Bookmaniac70 marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Bookguide
Bookguide marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Alba Türme
Alba Türme marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Laurochka
Laurochka marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Laurie Glassel
Laurie Glassel rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Jorie
Jorie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Elsa
Elsa rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Hilary Woolf
Hilary Woolf marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Trudie Bamford
Trudie Bamford rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2015
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015