A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two

A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Two-volume Anthology.
Volume two includes:
Brain Wave: Poul Anderson (novel)
Bullard Reflects: Malcolm Jameson
Magic City: Nelson S. Bond
The Morning of the Day They Did It: E. B. White
Letters from Laura: Mildred C...more
Published 1959 by Doubleday & Company

To ask other readers questions about A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume Two

Jewell Moreno
This is the second in the series, I haven't found a copy of the first one yet. A quick rundown of the stories offered.
Brain Wave (Poul Anderson) - what happens when humanity suddenly becomes smarter.
Bullard Reflects (Malcolm James) - A sports team uses their abilities to fight space pirates.
The Lost Years (Oscar Lewis ) - An alternative history in which President Lincoln survives his assasination attempt. This was one of my favorites in the book.
Dead Center (Judith Merril) - One families tragedy...more
Sean Randall
Welcome back, the appeal of the science fiction short story. I can't forget the hours and hours I had on Dick and Heinlein and Asimov as a teen, and many of these stories put me right back there as if I'd never left.

Brain Wave, by Poul Anderson, is a story I've read several times, and it never gets old. I really like the way Anderson progresses his intelligence, and the animal point of view is also explored which was pretty neat.

Bullard Reflects impressed me so much that it gave me the urge to s...more
Craig
This is the second half of a great classic collection. It includes terrific stories from Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Nelson S. Bond, and many others, all of them good, as well as two complete full-length novels, THE STARS MY DESTINATION by Alfred Bester and BRAIN WAVE by Poul Anderson, which are two of the best novels of the 1950's. It's a wonderful pair.
Steven Peterson
Volume 2 of Anthony Boucher's 2 book edited set. Great science fiction here!

In this work, my favorites: Poul Anderson, "Brain Wave," Arthur C. Clarke, "The Other Side of the Sky," Robert Heinlein, "The Man Who Sold the Moon," Alfred Bester, "The Stars My Destination."

Pretty cool to revisit these works. . . .
Tabetha Wallace
Rereading one of my favorite collections of Golden Era Science Fiction. Reminds me we need to really reignite the art of the science fiction short story.
Scott Holmes
See my review of Volume 1. Great stuff
Kevin Gallan
Dec 13, 2010 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
187/522
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Njh
Njh marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mary Reese
Mary Reese marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Peterpotomus
Peterpotomus marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nechama
Nechama marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Reg
Reg added it
May 04, 2014
Nora Cloud
Nora Cloud marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Adam Corvo
Adam Corvo marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Quote 1 6 Jan 16, 2009 07:17PM
Anthony Boucher (born William Anthony Parker White) (August 21, 1911 – April 29, 1968) was an American science fiction editor and author of mystery novels and short stories. He was particularly influential as an editor. Between 1942 and 1947 he acted as reviewer of mostly mystery fiction for the San Francisco Chronicle. In addition to 'Anthony Boucher,' White also employed the pseudonym 'H. H. Hol...more
More about Anthony Boucher...
A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction The Case of the Baker Street Irregulars Rocket to the Morgue The Strange Case of the Murderer in Wax/The Man (New Adventures of Sherlock Homes 14)