Start by marking “Treasure (Seed Savers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Treasure (Seed Savers, #1)

Treasure (Seed Savers #1)

Two kids, two bikes, and an idea they can change their world.

Published (first published April 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure

Rebecca Douglass
Dec 02, 2015 Rebecca Douglass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, sf-fantasy
The entire concept of the Seed Savers series is a bit chilling, primarily because, as the publisher's blurb states, it paints a future we can easily see coming our way. But the story itself is not edge-of-the-seat frightening, and would be suitable for most children of 9-12. Clare is a likable heroine, and if she and her little brother get along a bit unbelievably well, they have good reason to stick together, especially once they are on the run.

I found the beginning of the story a little slow.
Renee
Oct 31, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Claire (12) and Dante (7) are a sister and brother duo who live in a futuristic society where gardening is prohibited. The Green Resource Investigation Machine (GRIM) is the corporation in charge of policing the distribution and use of seeds. In fact, GRIM has been so effective in its job that even the language around seeds, planting, and gardening has been erased from the collective memory of society. In this society, nutrients and vitamins are distributed in tablet form instead, creating a ...more
Jemima Pett
This is a Middle Grade SciFi book about gardening. Actually it is about escape from totalitarian regimes and a return to fresh food and freedom of choice to grow it, but on the surface it is just about 12 year old Clare, her seven year old brother Dante and their friends Lily (same age as Clare) and Ana, who is substantially older – kind of my age. Their adventure is about growing food – in secret.

Seed Savers is what I believe in. In S Smith’s world, food choice has long gone, since the corporat
Victor Gentile
Nov 20, 2015 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S. Smith in her new book, “Treasure” Book One in the Seed Savers series published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform gives us a fast-paced future thriller.

From the back cover: It’s 2077. There’s no apocalypse, but some things are different. Things like the weather, the internet, and food. In twelve-year-old Clare’s world, blueberry is just a flavor and apples are found only in fairy tales.

One day Clare meets Ana, who teaches her about seeds and real food, despite suspicions that such
Kathryn Svendsen
In today’s worries over climate change and genetically modified foods, this book is very appropriate. Set in the near future, all home gardening is classified as illegal and food seems to come in some kind of pill form or chewable tablet at least. Everything edible is known as a sweetie, snack, protein or veggie and they are all square or round. Children think all food originates in the store.

When Clare, her brother Dante and their friend Lila meet an old lady named Ana who becomes their tutor a
Stacie
Oct 05, 2015 Stacie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Treasure is an inspiring middle grade novel that takes readers on a journey into the future where fresh foods are nonexistent and people survive on packaged processed food. However, there are those who remember the past and make it their mission to ensure it's not forgotten, they are part of a secret group known as The Seed Savers. Their work is dangerous, but if they succeed children can once again experience the delicious tastes and healthy benefits of homegrown unprocessed food.

When Clare, Da
Gabs
**A free copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

This is going to be a difficult review to write, because while I noticed some flaws in the book, it was a quick, fun read.

I'll start with what I liked. First, I think that this would be a nice dystopian for someone who would like to read something from this genre, but wants a tamer, non-violent story. The dystopian society is lighter than many of the societies in other dystopian books; it's not too differen
Gmr
Nov 26, 2013 Gmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers and beyond
Recommended to Gmr by: Author S. Smith
The three kiddos brought into this secret organization (the Seed Savers) of sorts are very brave and courageous…but as the story progresses they grow to be even more so. It’s not enough to defy the powers that be, you have to affect a change. Through their efforts, their sacrifices, their hard work and determination even at their young age, they are ushering in change. Even though this is only book 1 and there is much more to come, the simple acts and choices made here are bringing hope to those ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
One day, Clare brought back these things called seeds to her brother, Dante, and her best friend, Lily. She got them from Ana, a friend from church. Ana starts to teach them fruits, and vegetables, and what seeds do. They soon learn that saving seeds and growing your own food is illegal in the U.S.A. The only food allowed is the kinds you get from Stores. They decide to secretly become Seed Savers with the help of Ana. When the government finds out what Clare and Dante are doing, the kids flee ...more
Virginia Ripple
Sep 04, 2013 Virginia Ripple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of middle graders
I received this book free in return for an honest review.

The Good...

This was very fast read. In fact, I finished it in one afternoon, which, imho, means this would be the perfect length for younger readers. I also loved that the kids in the story weren't dumbed down, but neither were they "gritty." The use of scripture in the story was spare enough to feel necessary, yet used often enough to mark the book as Christian. Along with that is level of teaching. I feel that any young person who picks
Rachel
Jun 19, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Recently some writer friends of mine were discussing the fact that often children nowadays do not know where their food comes from. Panicked, I asked my 5 year old where a few items of food came from, and he answered correctly, however my 4 year old thought that milk came from the supermarket and that they made carrots there!

Just goes to show how lucky we are to be able to just buy our food, washed, prepared and ready to cook and eat.

Claire, Dante and Lily however live in a world where their fo
April
Sep 02, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written with a story that could actually be true someday in this crazy crazy world. This story also has plenty of lessons to be learned while reading. The Seed Savers are a group of people that refuse to let farming go the way of the wind. They do not want over processed flavorless items that people now call food. It takes the courage of a girl and her little brother to take on the world of the seed savers and start showing some need for such things. Where will it take them and will they ...more
Esther
Sep 03, 2015 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and its slight twist on the typical dystopian novel. The writing style was engaging and I felt as though the characters were developed as the storyline was, at a reasonable pace. I would definitely recommend.
Rebekah
Aug 31, 2014 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed getting to learn what life would be like if we didn't have fruits or vegetables of any kind. It was so shocking to find out about GRIM and the food police. It also makes me appreciate fresh fruits and vegetables that much more.
A.K. Klemm
Jun 07, 2012 A.K. Klemm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant piece of young adult dystopian society fiction! I loved it. Lois Lowry, watch out! The Giver has some competition - finally.

Melissa Ann
Nov 18, 2015 Melissa Ann rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very interesting book, like if 1984 had been aimed at a younger audience. I am excited to read the rest of the books in the series.
Tim Learn
Nov 30, 2015 Tim Learn rated it it was ok
Synopsis

Running into an old woman at church, Ana and her little group find out secrets about their world that many have tried to cover up: seeds. Even more so, they learn that all our food once came from them. The only problem now is the government wants to keep it that way.

Prose

Overall, the writing wasn't poor. There were a few good lines in there with the occasional botched simile or two. One in particular compared something to a lazy cat and I’m still unsure what the author meant by it. But,
Brianna C
Nov 30, 2014 Brianna C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, review
"Ana thought about the children. She knew she was putting them in danger by giving them seeds and teaching them, but what kind of future was she passing on if she didn't share her knowledge and her seeds?"

With all of the dystopians out these days, it's hard to come across one that is different. In this story, the big issues is the fact that the government has outlawed owning seeds and planting food. There are of course those who save the seeds-the Seed Savers. This story just dives right into th
Sally
I thought this was cute and fun, a nice dystopian future novel for younger readers, with a setting that feels chillingly possible!
Lisa Miller Chandler
DESCRIPTION:

Two kids, two bikes, and an idea they can change their world.

Then one day Clare meets an old woman who teaches her about seeds and real food. The woman (Ana) tempts Clare with the notion that food exists other than the square, processed, packaged food she has always known
Valerie Comer
Dec 28, 2013 Valerie Comer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a not-too-distant future, gardening is outlawed, and seed savers have gone underground in an attempt to preserve precious seeds for the day when the bans might be lifted. An old woman, Ana, fearing her secrets might die with her, trusts some knowledge and seeds to three young children: Clare and Lily, age 12, and Clare’s little brother Dante.

The children accept public after-school tutoring from Ana, but she teaches them more about seeds than about Math. They secretly plant a few seeds in Clar
Sarah Briggs
Sep 11, 2014 Sarah Briggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

This was a book that reminded me of books I used to read as a child. Even though I read a lot of grown-up books then, I enjoyed reading books aimed at my own age as well and they still have a special place in my heart.

I really liked the concept behind this book, especially since it's something I could easily see developing in reality. I especially liked the use of the Bible as a learning tool and th
Ashlee
Jan 12, 2014 Ashlee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Julia Nashif
I don't know whether this is a terrifyingly potential future or just plain ridiculous.

Thank you, NetGalley and Sandra L. Smith, for this free book to review!

The general idea is plausible. What if Americans no longer ate fresh food? What if they didn't even know what seeds are?

Except they do know what seeds are, because trees are still around and Clare's mom once tried to grow flowers.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy this book. How can the kids not understand basic farming techniques
Kathryn
Aug 16, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, r2r
*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. This review is also available on my blog*

The writing is fab, the story's not too bad, but I didn't feel connected to the characters at all.

The first half of the novel is slow, and the second half doesn't get much faster. The element of dystopia is strong, as there is quite a bit of world building, to 'set the scene' I guess.

The main problem for me, was the religious text. I felt that, by the author including passages from the Christian
Christy
Mar 15, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Treasure. It is scary how true this could be. With all of the small farms being shut down by huge agriculture, our food is being changed more and more and with all of the chemicals and GMOs, it could really happen.

I love all of the characters in Treasure. Clare is such a strong young lady. She is afraid, yet she does what she knows is right because it has to be done. I love Ana and the fact that she is so discerning in choosing Clare, Lily and Dante to pass her knowledge of seed
Alyssa Lacross
This story was cute and heartwarming, but felt too young to be a YA title. The main character is twelve. I liked the incorporation of seeds and the idea that kids don't know know that food comes from seeds and plants. Also, although there was conflict, the conflicts seemed to wrap up too easily. The lack of loose ends and the happily ever after ending aren't encouraging me to check out a next book in the series. Also, the incorporationg of Bible verses was interesting because of the connections ...more
Mary Ann
This story reminds me of something my son sent me years ago on how getting a patent on genetically modifies seeds is causing problems in maintaining purity of nongenetically modified seeds. This story does a good job of introducing that problem for further research. Unfortunately many people don'g know how to plant and maintain a garden, much less save seeds, and so far it isn't illegal. This doesn't make our future look so bright.
Joe Mahoney
Joe Mahoney rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Mikaela
Mikaela rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
  • Four Fiends
  • Halitor the Hero
  • The Secret of the Sacred Scarab
  • Zoe & Zak and the Tiger Temple (Zoe & Zak Adventures, #3)
  • Frankie Dupont and The Lemon Festival Fiasco
  • The Shadow of Atlantis (Shadows from the Past, #1)
  • A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1)
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc #1)
  • Fizz & Peppers at the Bottom of the World
  • Sons of the Sphinx
  • The Perpetual Papers of the Pack of Pets
  • The Ifs
  • Bravo Victor (The Princelings of the East, #6)
  • Insanity
  • The Dragon and Princess Madeline
  • Shirley Link & The Treasure Chest (Shirley Link, #3)
S. Smith grew up on a farm with a tremendously large garden. Though she lives in the city now, her love of growing vegetables and flowers endures. Her first published series, Seed Savers, was born from this desire to plant each spring.

A licensed ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, Ms. Smith has enjoyed teaching students from around the world.

She gardens and writes at her home in the beauti
More about S. Smith...

Seed Savers (5 books)
  • Lily (Seed Savers #2)
  • Heirloom (Seed Savers, #3)
  • 28 Days - A Smoky Mountain Christmas (Seed Savers)
  • Keeper (Seed Savers, #4)