Start by marking “Fup” as Want to Read:
Fup

Fup

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,896 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
First published in 1983, this story is set in the coastal hills of Northern California between 1880 and the present. The tale revolves around three characters: two humans and one duck. Jim Dodge is the author of "Not Fade Away" and "Stone Junction".
Published January 1st 1987 by City Miner Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Fup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fup

Frankenstein by Mary ShelleyForfeit by Dick FrancisFoundation by Isaac AsimovFirefight by Brandon SandersonFinale by Becca Fitzpatrick
One Word Titles - F
23rd out of 56 books — 8 voters
Dubliners by James JoyceAs You Like It by William ShakespeareOthello by William ShakespeareShōgun by James ClavellLost Horizon by James Hilton
Jim Jams
74th out of 151 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

MJ Nicholls
A short fable, immaculately designed and packaged, with illustrations from legend Harry Horse. It's not particularly compelling until the oversized duck Fup turns up, and at 100 short pages, it reads like a whimsical McSweeney's story.

However, in the interest of full disclosure I should explain I am a heartless swine, and magical ducks and grandpas do not break my heart, no matter who dies at the end. And "Jim Dodge" is what I called bunking off Physical Ed lessons in school. Fact.
Melody
Sep 30, 2007 Melody rated it did not like it
Contrived and overly mannered little fable. I must be missing something, as the Amazon & Goodreads reviews are uniformly raves, and it came highly recommended. But I thought the level of cleverness never rose above naming the main character Fup Duck.
Kirk Smith
Feb 16, 2014 Kirk Smith rated it it was amazing
As a child I loved Mark Twain's short stories. If Twain would have had the liberty to use the F-word(just a little),his stories might have resembled this 94 page delight. Friends of: Storytellers, Fence builders, Moonshiners, Hog hunters, People with or yearning for Open country with space to breathe, or Anyone that ever owned a Pet Duck, I give you FUP. Fup-Duck. Right! You caught that didn't you? A Story of a Boy , a Duck, and his Grandpa.
FUP is about to be placed on my shelf in the sacrosan
Steve Porter
Feb 06, 2016 Steve Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming, funny and fantastic tale by the Stone Junction author about an old man, his giant grandson and a duck. Not just any old duck. But whiskey guzzling Fup duck.
Eleni
May 11, 2009 Eleni rated it really liked it
Trying to decide what makes FUP a good or great book. It is like chocolate. Satisfying sweet but with a hidden depth. Seems to have everything you need in the moment and yet unforgettable. There are great quotes, a good outlook on life. It is over before you know it, yet you want to go back for more. Read it.. you'll see.
Kevin
Oct 04, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favourites
A fantastic little gem of a book about two men and a duck in the American west. Jim Dodge is the king of modern-day rock and roll tall tales.
Reger "Muddy" Dipling
Marvellous, short, unmissable.
Booksthailand
May 21, 2010 Booksthailand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(This review was first published at www.booksthailand.com)
I can recommend this book for a couple of reasons. Firstly it is short and to the point so even were you to read it and hate it it has only taken up an hour or two of your appointed time on earth.
Secondly it is a crackling good read and quite unique. I'd never heard of Jim Dodge before and all I know know is what the blurb tells me; he lives on an isolated ranch in western Sonoma County. And he can write.
Fup is the story of two men and a
wally
Jan 24, 2013 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dodge
2nd from dodge for me...the other his Stone Junction and that recent...there's at least one appearance of a duck in that one and reading through i noted it...but that's all it was...an appearance, maybe some sort of cameo, remember?...like alfred hitchcock used to do? or at least, that was the story i believed.

1983...illustrations copyright 1984 norman green @94 pages w/illustrations...

dedicated: for my father in memoriam

a quote: the temple bell stops.
but the sounds keep coming
out of the flowers
Raül De Tena
Jan 04, 2013 Raül De Tena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
El subtítulo de “JOP” no es otro que “Una Fábula Moderna“, tal y como se encarga de puntualizar Antonio Jimenez Morato en el acertadísimo prólogo de la obra. Y si por “fábula” entendemos ese típico relato protagonizado por animales personificados que se ha cultivado desde Esopo hasta Richard Adams (¿es “La Colina de Watership” la última gran fábula de la historia de la literatura?), está claro que el adjetivo “moderna” (en el buen sentido de la palabra) es necesario para entender un libro como e ...more
Louis Glazzard
Jun 02, 2013 Louis Glazzard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I picked this up in the local library. Its such a fascinating little fable, with a fantastical ending. It follows the life of Jake and his grandson Tiny as they live life on their farm, with the aid of their notoriously brewed liquor. With the introduction of their surprising pet Fud the Duck I found myself falling in love with cutesy relationship of the three. Particularly when they sit together at the drive in. I think it has a fairy-tale ending, worthy of children imagination if i ...more
Shawn
Oct 02, 2010 Shawn rated it it was amazing
I knew I would give this four stars, but had to let it settle with Me a minute before finally deciding on five. A very well written, poignant story of an old man's love for his grandson, and a mallard duck who becomes a part of their family. I'd heard from others that they were moved to tears by the story, and I can see why some might be. It didn't get Me quite to that point, but the fact that I'm still thinking on the story a day after completing it suggests that it had a definite impact. There ...more
Chris
Mar 14, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
I was excited about the prospect of reading this book since Stephen Fry has publically advocated it and it looked interesting, I was not disappointed!

The tale chronicles the life of the three main characters; Jake, an elderly, abrasive old coot who is rude in the extreme but also loveable. Tiny; Orphaned grandson who stays with Jake and finally Fup; an overweight hen Mallard duck with a personality.

The three live together in Jake's modest home drinking moonshine and generally pleasing themselves
Charlie
Apr 28, 2010 Charlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Theo for reviewing this book and thus recommending it to me!

It is a very short book, but exquisitly written. The story is about a rough old granddaddy hick and his grandson and what happens when they adopt a very assertive duckling called Fup Duck.

That really does not tell you what the book is like though. The book is evocative, emotional, humerous and ... fupped-uck.

The ending is a bit odd. But I'll forgive it that.
Stewart Mitchell
My mom gave me this book, just out of the blue. I don't know how she found this book, or why she ordered it, or why she thought I would like it. I don't even know what I thought of it.

Fup is a very short story about a boy named Tiny who lives with his Granddaddy Jack. One day while attempting to build a fence, Tiny finds a baby duck, close to death. With help from his grandpa's infamous whiskey, Ol' Death Whisper, Tiny revives the duck, and they decide to name it Fup.

Fup Duck. Fuck Dup. That's t
Sacramento Public Library
Northern California’s wild yarn about a boy and his duck is a contemporary classic. I’ve laughed out loud every time I’ve read it. --Antonio
Mark Byzewski
Jan 10, 2016 Mark Byzewski rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book given to me by Kyley Felix for Christmas. A wonderful gift.
Ugh
Feb 20, 2011 Ugh rated it really liked it
You've gotta love Jim Dodge. He writes larger-than-life yarns full of hard liquor, gambling, promiscuity, folklore, and untamed spirit. He also writes about loss, but loss as a part of life, as another mile on the road to getting somewhere. And whether you buy into that yourself or not, and I don't, I challenge anyone not to enjoy the journey. The way he writes is the way it ought to be...
Katherine
“In the processes of fermentation and distillation he found not only metaphors that answered his spirit, but a product that extended it” (16).
“...a wrenching crack of thunder rocked the house. As it faded, the wind rose to howl at its ghost” (28-29).
“...the upsquashed arch of wire…”(38).
“‘You desire to tame everything, but if you just stand still and feel for a moment you would know how everything yearns to be wild’” (73).
“...like guts on a slaughterhouse floor” (74).
“After thinking on it for th
Louise Colclough
Aug 15, 2014 Louise Colclough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny little story!

Surprisingly entertaining, and a book a would definitely recommend. If you've just read a massive book and you want something light and quick to read before going onto another big book this is perfect.

Granddaddy Jake is really funny and so is Fup the main character. Your heart melts for Tiny though.

Overall it was quite enjoyable!
Kent
Sep 24, 2015 Kent rated it it was amazing
Such a great little book. I'm becoming a a big fan of the novella. I like that they can be returned to without feeling like Frodo leaving the Shire. Fup is in the category of The Old Man and the Sea and Train Dreams in that it feels like the punch of a whole giant book but it can be ingested in a dedicated afternoon. I learn a lot more when I can reconsider art, and, at least at this point in my life, that only happens with littler, more accessible books like Fup.

Fup is a magnetic blend of tende
Eric Hinkle
Sep 14, 2014 Eric Hinkle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this on impulse because something was drawing me toward it, I guess. I had never heard of it or the author, but a story about a hillbilly grandpa, his grandson, and the family duck - that's my kind of story! It's even better than I expected. It's a sheer joy to read, full of heart, absurdity, wit, and laughs. Dodge also has quite an ear for language, so it doesn't surprise me to learn that he's also a poet. A hair shorter (and richer) than your standard novella, this is a quick yet abso ...more
Becca Schoch
Aug 18, 2010 Becca Schoch rated it really liked it
This book is so wonderful. I'm surprised more people don't know it's out there.
Sandrine
Aug 20, 2012 Sandrine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, merci à l'amie que m'en a fait cadeau!
Miguel Jiménez
Una novela que conquista por lo que es. Con una premisa digna de Richard Brautigan o Kurt Vonnegut, se podría pensar frente a lo que se está y cómo será manejado dicha cuestión. Sin embargo, Jim Dodge dota de un forma propia, de ese estilo personal a en apariencia algo «conocido». A través de irreverencia, humor negro, una forma especial de entender la soledad y un manejo de lenguaje importante va entreteniendo la muy breve novela. Comentar lo de «Una fábula moderna». ¡Ya basta que los animales ...more
Jeroen
Feb 23, 2014 Jeroen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You desire to tame everything, but if you just stand still and feel for a moment you would know how everything yearns to be wild."

A story touted as a fairy tale about a duck, I had pretty much consigned this to the children's section of my book case. But then I did read Stone Junction before and I kind of knew that Jim Dodge DID write children's stories... he just wrote them for adults. If this is a children's story, it is only so in the eyes of the wonderfully daemonic ol' wheelin' characters
Riikka
Pohjois-Kalifornialaisella farmilla asustaa kaksi eriksummallista miestä: 99-vuotias Jake-vaari sekä tämän tyttärenpoika, jättikokoinen Kirppu. Jake-vaari on ikuinen uhkapeluri, joka uskoo elävänsä ikuisesti salaisella intiaanireseptillä tehtyä viskiä juoden. Kirppu puolestaan on ärhäkän isoisänsä vastakohta, hiljainen nuorimies, jonka suurin intohimo on rakentaa loputtomasti aitoja framin ympärille, vaikkei heillä olekaan karjaa. Samalla hän käy sotaa aitoja hajottavaa villisikaa Lukkoleukaa va ...more
Julia
Aug 13, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable
Ken T
Sep 07, 2011 Ken T rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Fup is the magical tale about the 6' 2" "Tiny", his 99 year old Grandpa, and their duck - Fup. It is a story about love, loss, and whiskey - ol' Death Whisper, which Grandpa believes is the key to literal immortality. Fup is a fun read and a funny read. There are several parts where I continue to laugh out loud. But it is also a touching tale about the bond between a father (or grandfather) and son.

Dodge has created a somewhat modern fairy tale. Set in my own home of rural Northern California i
Anaroman
Quando você estiver preparado,
Fup virá até você.

Esse é um livro realmente difícil de encontrar,
imagino que, deixando de lado as brincadeiras,
é mesmo o acaso o único possível responsável pela posse de um desses raros exemplares.
O único volume que já vi pertencia a uma editora desaparecida,
e foi comprado há muito tempo num sebo de Fortaleza.

Entretanto,
isso pouco importa,
os meios, os nomes, os fetiches.
Pois esse é, antes de tudo,
um livro honesto.
Cheio de inteligência, humor, simplicidade e
embora se
The ending!?! (spoilers!) 3 18 Nov 06, 2014 04:21AM
  • Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren
  • Boonville
  • In the Land of the Grasshopper Song: Two Women in the Klamath River Indian Country in 1908-09
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • Pieces for the Left Hand: 100 Anecdotes
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • West of Rome
Jim Dodge is an American novelist and poet whose works combine themes of folklore and fantasy, set in a timeless present. He has published three novels, Fup, Not Fade Away and Stone Junction and a collection of poetry and prose, Rain on the River. Dodge was born in 1945 and grew up as an Air Force brat. As an adult he spent many years living on an almost self-sufficient commune in West Sonoma Coun ...more
More about Jim Dodge...

“...I don't rightly know. It just ain't possible to explain some things, maybe even most things. It's interesting to wonder on them and do some speculation, but the main thing is you have to accept it - take it for what it is, and get on with your getting." (91)” 12 likes
“He wasn't the least bit disturbed that his intuition was wrong: intuition often missed, sometimes spectacularly, but when it connected it saved so much time that the spirit leaped forward ... and, of course, there was no use denying the basic human delight in being right the first time.” 7 likes