Start by marking “The Secrets of Harry Bright” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Harry Bright

The Secrets of Harry Bright

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Seventeen months ago the California desert revealed the remains of Jack Watson. The rich man's son was found incinerated in a Rolls-Royce, a bullet in his head. Now, a year and a half later, Los Angeles Police Department homicide detective Sidney Blackpool is called into the desert to take on the case. But what begins for Blackpool is an investigation sandwiched between go ...more
Published September 1st 1986 by Bantam (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Harry Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Harry Bright

Jackson Burnett
The Secrets of Harry Bright is Joseph Wambaugh's best novel. He had moved beyond the police tales of urban LA, but had not become the chronicler of suburban crime. Wambaugh has never been a great prose stylist, but he is a tremendous story teller. This book explores the mutual tragedies of the investigator and of his wealthy client.
Lynne-Felicity Highfield
My first Wambaugh...brilliant; sharp, funny, insightful, fast-paced. Will read more.

Сред най-добрите криминалета, които съм чел. Мистериозно убийство, шайка некадърни ченгета, малък курортен град в пустинята, два броя детективи от Холивуд, единият от които по-скоро би играл голф, отколкото да разследва престъплението, банда рокери-производители-на-амфетамини (под ръководството на огромно черно бивше ченге), един Хари Брайт с трагичното минало и още по-трагичното настояще, плюс още и още. Да не говорим, че стилът на Уомбо е чудесен.
I read this in my 20s and didn't like it one bit. Very well written, but bleak. Thirty years later and it's the only book of Wambaughs that I've read.

Still think of it as really well written and bleak. But I like it a lot better in my 50s than in my 20s. Perhaps I've seen enough now to get it....
Joseph Wambaugh has a wonderful writing style that compares to no one. The humour is first rate as are the characters. This book was no different. I found it incredibly likeable but at the s some time found it a bit lacking I can' t pinpoint how or why but it was. Nonetheless the characters and humour alone made it worth the read.
Two LAPD cops travel out to the desert to find out what really happened to a rich guy's teenage son, who was found in a burned out car but with a bullet in him. Interesting tale as there seems to be no logical explanation as to how this could have occurred. Fun story.
Good read but the main character was sad to me. A little downer there
Great book. My first from this author. The basics is a murder a year old in a small desert town. The rich father gets two detectives from LA to come down and look at the cases based on a tiny bit of new evidence. The firs half of the book introduces the great number of characters and the events of the crime. Ultimately the book is more about the characters than the crime.
Lauraley Dilgard
Another book by one of my favorite authors Joseph Wambaugh I've read it and re-read it. About the Palm Springs area, one of my favorite places to visit, I love the way Wambaugh describes the sun over the mountains, seen it and loved it, he took me back there.
This is a decent story and plot about self discovery for the protagonist - Black Sid. The pace of the novel is slow to start but picks up mid way through... The only real detractor in my opinion is the amount of foul language - a bit salty, eh.
Joe  Noir
A terrific denouement, as poignant as they come. Great noir sensibility in this novel.
Jeff Winter
a beautiful, tragic book. i can't wait to read more Wambaugh.
jefrey das
Oct 18, 2012 jefrey das rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WANNA BES
Shelves: sleuth, rhetoric
Maybe Wambaugh's best.
Intrepid86 marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Erin Ahn
Erin Ahn marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Cindy Mcqueen
Cindy Mcqueen marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Joseph Eckelkamp
Joseph Eckelkamp marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Spino marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jana Stapleton
Jana Stapleton marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
  • The Past Never Ends
  • A Darker Place (Sean Dillion, #16)
  • The Granny
  • The Case of the Calendar Girl
  • Nightwing
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • The Big Gold Dream (Harlem Cycle, #4)
  • The Inconvenient Corpse: A Grace Cassidy Mystery
  • Final Argument
  • Dead Low Tide
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Anatomy of a Murder
  • Death in Berlin
  • Serenade
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M ...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...