Start by marking “She Wanted It All” as Want to Read:
She Wanted It All

She Wanted It All

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,149 ratings  ·  40 reviews

The wife:
She wanted everything, but her husband stood in the way.

The lesbian lover:

The beauty salon receptionist:
Celeste
Published March 29th 2005 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about She Wanted It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Wanted It All

FrankieReads
This was an excellent read. It's tempting to compare Kathryn Casey to Ann Rule because they are both true crime authors that focus on female killers/victims. However, I saw some major differences between the two writers (I'm a big fan of both). First, Kathryn's writing is less flowery than Ann's.
She writes in clear, concise sentences that put me in the frame of mind of hardboiled mystery writing. Her research is impecable, and she definitely gives the full story from all angles, but she leaves
Angela James
I don't read a lot of true crime, it's not my normal genre, but it's something I do enjoy on the random one-off and fairly infrequently. I've read only perhaps 4 or 5 before this, including Mindhunter and Helter Skelter.

But recently I was in the mood for a true crime story, and downloaded 7 or 8 samples of books to try. After reading the samples, I was sucked into this story almost from the first page.

I'm not going to go into the story itself, since it's a bit self-explanatory, but rather tell
Shelly
Normally, I don't give much merit to anything in the true crime genre if it isn't written by Ann Rule. Call me a snob, but i've been disappointed so often by authors who tell a poor story. I've been fascinated by this case for sometime. I've watched many hour long documentary style programs on the Beard case but there's only so much you can cram into an hour. I decided to give this book a try despite my reservations trying yet another true crime author. When I got the book from my local library ...more
♥Belleza★✰
This is the true story of trophy wife Celeste Beard who wanted everything, but her husband stood in the way, so she enlists her lesbian lover, a love-struck, middle-aged woman with a history of mental illness to get rid of her husband, then when Celeste begins to doubt the reliability of her lover she tries to hire a hit man to take care of her.

This is an excellent book. Kathryn Casey has a journalism background and it shows in her attention to detail and the amount of research that goes into he
Irene
This was one of the most disturbing books of this genre I have read, and I've read quite a few. Celeste Beard is one of the most despicable people I can imagine, with abolsutely no redeeming qualities. A truly scary person, and I can't even imagine the hell her daughters are still going through. I'd heard of this case on television, but only a book can delve into the myriad people and facts behind the scene. Kathryn Casey surely does a fine job of that. This woman is the worst of the worst and a ...more
Lissa
Celeste Beard, a mentally unstable trophy wife, believes that she will gain more once her husband is out of the way. Enlisting the aid of her troubled lover, a woman named Tracey whom Celeste met in a psychiatric ward, Celeste convinces Tracey to shoot him one night. Ultimately, Steve Beard dies of a pulmonary embolism four months after the shooting, ratcheting the charges up to murder. But Celeste thinks she can get away with her role in the death of her husband, especially once she starts look ...more
Jane
No matter how often I read true crime accounts, I continue to be amazed at the passive nature of some people. The outlandish behavior that relatives, friends and others tolerate from bullies simply staggers me.

At every turn, this woman was showing signs of psychopathy which was resistant to treatment. She possessed, however, an incredible magnetism and a sense of excitement that people were loathe to miss out on.

This is well written and gripping.
Erika
Celeste Beard is not only a Borderline Personality, she is also a psychpath. Marrying Steven Beard was only the least of her offences. A short while later the elderly millionaire was dying at the hands of Celeste's lesbian lover, who was prepared to take the fall for her. There wasn't a life in her path that was left intact, but the treatment of her two beautiful daughters was horrifying. Excellently written and well researched.
Ruth Turner
"Trophy wife Celeste Beard wasn't satisfied with a luxurious lifestyle and her rich Austin media mogul husband's devotion -- so she took his life!

The wife:
She wanted everything, but her husband stood in the way.

The lesbian lover:
A love-struck, middle-aged woman with a history of mental illness, she would do anything to set Celeste free."

This is a well written, compelling read.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jessica
It fills me with comfort to know that Celeste Beard will most likely spend every day for the rest of her life rotting in a prison cell. I hope if not for the sake of justice, but for the sake of her daughters she never gets released. I hope her daughters have been able to heal and have happy, safe lives.
Carie
Kathryn Casey did a phenomenal job writing this book... I was emotionally connected the entire read. She made this book very difficult to put down!

I can easily say that I hated Celeste from the very first chapter & found myself speaking out loud as I read this story with "OMGs" & "What a B!&ch!" The mental & emotional abuse she put her daughters through was easily bad enough but the way Celeste treated Steve, her wealthy husband was despicable & disgusting. Several attempts
Dennis Littrell
Casey, Kathryn. She Wanted It All (2005) *****
Monster Mom meets No Fool Like an Old Fool

In this charming tale of Texans just having fun--all right, all right! I've read too many true crime tales from the state of Texas to be objective, I admit. Here are three good ones, just to prove my point:

Poisoned Dreams: A True Story of Murder, Money, and Family Secrets (1993) by A. W. Gray;
Final Justice: The True Story of the Richest Man Ever Tried for Murder (1993) by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith
Dana
WOW Celeste is one deranged woman. I read in disbelief that she was able to get away with she did and no one tried to step in and help this family.
Casey did a wonderful research good. She did not go over board with details. Casey had the right amount to keep the stories interesting and for the stories integrity.
Tyre
This book was very suspensful. The author did a great job of giving the victim's backstory as well as the perpetrator. This was a page turner. Once you pick this book up to read it will be hard to put it back down!
Kindra Zepeda rodriguez
Woah
This book might have hit home since I live in Austin and know every location. Even unbeknownst to me I have been in the house on toro canyon

Celeste is pure evil.
Great book

I got attached to Steve :(
Heather Economos
I loved this book. The fact that it was a real story intrigued me and glued me to the book until I finished it.
Yvonne
Apr 06, 2014 Yvonne added it
One of the best books I have read!!!! as close to Anne Rule as anyone has ever gotten!!!!! excellent!!!!
Lupe
Aggravating!!! This book made me want to intervene. Kathryn does an excellent job of engaging the reader.
Vanessa
This was an excellent read (despite the cheesy title). It was a real page turner; I stayed up late nights to finish it.

I remember when the crime happened, so it was neat to read the different perspectives of all the players. And as an unrequited Austinite, it was fun to see which Austin locales I recognized.
Sandy
Kathryn Casey did a fabulous job on this book as usual. Celeste Beard was another gold digging, self centered, creature. Steve Beard gave her everything she wanted. He went overboard to be good to her. All she thought about was herself and she didn't care who she hurt to get it.
Kathy Hughes
Chilling tale of a sociopathic wife. Celeste had her girlfriend kill her husband, and to this day, Celeste is unable to admit she did it. I really feel for Celeste's daughters and hope they have been able to move beyond their birth father's death and Steve Beard's death.
Stephanie
There really is a need for psychotropic medication. Not sure if there is any for this woman, but good God what a mess.

The poor daughters. It would be interesting to know what happened to them...but their "mother"?? I do not care.
Indra
My true crime fix for the week. I saw a documentary on this case but only a book could do it justice, this is one of the most evil murderers I've ever heard of and I'm glad she's locked up. Well-written and researched.
Jeanne Ternus
You can't get much more narcissistic than this gal. What makes you wonder is how so many people were gullible to her ways. It's a good read and so many questions about mental health of her and her now grown daughters.
Cynthia
Good book, This mother needs help but I doubt she will admit it. I don't understand how anyone can marry for money and kill for it. To take a same sex lover just to kill your husband blows my mind.
Leann
This true-crime novel is a credit to the genre. Being from Texan and reading a Kathryn Casey novel is like being from Washington and reading an Ann Rule novel- it hits close to home!
Davida
Aug 05, 2014 Davida added it
Wow. What a story of a despicable woman. This book is compelling and well researched. Excellent true crime novel!
Beata
I could not put this book down!! I am a big fan of murder mysteries and true crime and this was perfect for me!
Sheilak
This one was ok.....makes me sad that there are moms out there that shouldn't be moms!
Marianne Jay
Good book and very good insight on a case that was on the old Court TV.
  • Cruel Death
  • Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Never Enough
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • Son
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Careless Whispers
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • A Need to Kill: Confessions of a Teen Murderer
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
A novelist and an award-winning journalist, Kathryn Casey is the creator of the Sarah Armstrong mystery series and the author of eight highly acclaimed true crime books. Her first novel, SINGULARITY, was one of Booklist’s best crime novel debuts of 2009, and Library Journal chose the third, THE KILLING STORM, as one of the best books of 2010. In both books Casey’s protagonist is a Texas Ranger/pro ...more
More about Kathryn Casey...
Shattered A Descent Into Hell Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters Evil Beside Her