Start by marking “The Golden Gate” as Want to Read:
The Golden Gate

The Golden Gate

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,240 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A tense and nerve-shattering classic from the highly acclaimed masster of action and suspense. A rolling Fort Knox is how the journalists describe the Presidential motorcade as it enters San Francisco across the Golden Gate. Even the ever-watchful FBI believe it is impregnable - as it has to be with the President and two Arab potentates aboard. But halfway across the bridg ...more
Published February 16th 1976 by Collins (first published December 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Gate

Thomas Strömquist
One of the better later MacLeans, I've always loved the thrilling opening with the taking of the Golden Gate and the intended kidnap victims in a tense, well synchronized operation. Loses some pace later on, but is is worth reading.
Leon
I read this back in the 80's and found myself disappointed in that I could not like the hero and did like the baddy. I have read most of McLean's books and this is the only one that I have never gone back to re-read. I picked it up last week, took a deep breath and re-read it... only to find myself again liking Branson and NOT liking Revson.
It is a good story and quite exciting in the vein of all the McLean books - I just do not like the hero.
Frankly, I do not know why he did not simply kick h
Algernon
not one of his best efforts. It had some fine action moments and an interesting plot, but the writing was uninspiring. Made me think of a Steven segal action movie, and I'm not a big fan of those, either.
Ghost Archer
I've been a fan of the 'adventure' genre since I was a kid with not a little influence from my father's love of C.S. Forrester, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Alister MacLean. It has only been in the last few year that I have have actually started reading MacLean and I finally dug up the Golden Gate. Being a native of the San Francisco Bay area does give me a better picture of the setting than most and as I grew up during the early 1970's, the time frame of the story is spot on for me.
One of the thing
Jeff Crosby
Even in the 1960s, Alistair MacLean was writing terrorist types of stories. Dark Crusader, Golden Rendezvous and Satan Bug are good examples. In his later career, he shifted more consistently to this type of story, and The Golden Gate is a good example.

I originally read this novel when it was first published in 1976, so I dusted off my hardcover. The key elements are here: calculating hero, maniacal villain, and willing assistant (often female). There are two distinctions here. First, our hero i
David Lucero
I was going through my collection of favorites and glad I kept this hardback copy I found in a thrift store about fifteen years ago. I had yet to be published and admired MacLean's ability to write novels and screenplays. Some of his books have been made into memorable movies (The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Ice Station Zebra, to name a few).

This book could be a good movie even by today's standards, so long as the producer and director follow the script. We've had enough nonsense with D
Seema Dubey
I think I read all of MacLean in my halcyon days! Each one was like a magnet. I don't think the book jacket alone brings back the story, but I remember the book and that I enjoyed it so! perfect for the idyllic, warm summer months!
Rishi Kinger
Great book for people getting into MacLean books. Truly is a page turner right from the start.
The dialogue between the antagonist and the protagonist steals all the limelight away from the foundation/crux of the story.
Just brilliantly amazing , this one is a must read !
Michael d'Offay
Fun read on my day off. My first Maclean novel.. I might even read more into the future.
Prateek Agarwal
Really Gripping, extensively narrated. I loved this book on a whole.
Venkat Ramanan
Alistair McLean's The Golden Gate has the normal ingredients of Mclean,

a daring plot and systematic execution.

Add his brand of dry Humour.

The Golden Gun has one novelty-the hero handles the situation literally with his hands hands and brains-no weapons!
An intersting Read.

Alistair McLeanAlistair McLean
Richard
Although an avid reader, this was my first Alistair MacLean book. I found the main plot was original but slighly unbelievable at times. The characters were numerous and at times I had to go back to see who was a 'goodie' and who was a 'baddie'. The main good guy, Revson, was most likeable and easy to warm to.

It was thoroughly enjoyable and the star of the book survived at the end, the bridge! I look forward to reading more of his books.
Soumya
I had mixed feelings about this book. I thought that the beginning was amazing, the heist perfectly planned out. Then, the book started to get confusing. I knew what was happening but not sure why it was happening. I didn't understand the end either. The language is effective, and I really like Peter Branson's dialogue, but I thought that some of the adjectives were too complex.
MarsianMan
Reread this recently and still loved it. The crime is audacious and daring and the odds for foiling it seem unsurmountable...

There are no huge or epic events, but it is strife with tension and keeps you glued to the story. I hate putting down this book, even when it is over. What else would expect from the writer of Guns from Naverone and Where Eagles Dare?
Lea Carter
Peter Branson has the brains and the means of carrying out this latest "job." Escaping at the end will be easy compared to holding the President hostage and bringing down the Golden Gate Bridge.
But he (literally) misses a single detail - and his plan is now in danger of being what comes crashing down.
Ravinder
My second Maclean book.

The entire book, I kept imagining about the bridge. I had no encyclopedias at home to check out photos, and it was only much later in the 80's that I saw the images in a NatGeo magazine.
Niko Vantala
Luin kesälukemisena tämän kirjahyllyjen pölyistä löytyneen poikien klassikon kylläkin suomeksi: "Kaappaus San Franciscossa". Tuskin MacLeanin parhaimmistoa, hauskaa 70-luvun retroa kuitenkin...;))
Saksham
Great thrilling novels. The character of branson and revson was too good. When finally one is defeated it is sad to see him lose despite his masterful planning.
Stefan
The Golden Gate was exciting and vivid. The intense plot and effective surprises keep the story moving along quickly, but the characters were pretty shallow.
Kate Millin
I really enjoyed the wry writing style - the book is about a daring kidnap on the bridge, the amazing planning and clever way it is stopped.
Becky
Fascinating plot choice and setting. I always enjoy Alistair MacLean. Even his villains are intriguing and entertaining.
Gwen Burrow
The scary scenes are never scary, and the funny scenes never pass for anything better than frustrating.
Todd
MaClean is a good writer. A tad tough to buy at times, but overall an exciting tale and a great read.
Fredrick Danysh
A terror thriller that threatens the destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge. A gripping tale.
Pierce
A little old-fashioned, but still thoroughly enjoyable. I loved reading about San Francisco.
John
The president gets caught by terrorists on the Golden Gate bridge.

Great read.
Margareth8537
Seem to have had a gap in following MacLean, but he still packs a punch
Hans Mastbroek
Beetje ouderwets misschien maar ik ben nu eenmaal een Maclean fan.
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • Alistair Maclean's Hostage Tower
  • Running Blind
  • The Iron Tiger
  • Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • Cloak of Darkness
  • The Gemini Contenders
  • Most Secret
  • XPD
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra When Eight Bells Toll Force 10 from Navarone