Start by marking “The Golden Gate” as Want to Read:
The Golden Gate

The Golden Gate

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,852 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
A tense and nerve-shattering classic from the highly acclaimed masster of action and suspense. A rolling Fort Knox is how the journalists describe the Presidential motorcade as it enters San Francisco across the Golden Gate. Even the ever-watchful FBI believe it is impregnable - as it has to be with the President and two Arab potentates aboard. But halfway across the bridg ...more
Published February 16th 1976 by Collins (first published December 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Gate

Thomas Strömquist
One of the better later MacLeans, I've always loved the thrilling opening with the taking of the Golden Gate and the intended kidnap victims in a tense, well synchronized operation. Loses some pace later on, but is is worth reading.
Jeff Crosby
Even in the 1960s, Alistair MacLean was writing terrorist types of stories. Dark Crusader, Golden Rendezvous and Satan Bug are good examples. In his later career, he shifted more consistently to this type of story, and The Golden Gate is a good example.

I originally read this novel when it was first published in 1976, so I dusted off my hardcover. The key elements are here: calculating hero, maniacal villain, and willing assistant (often female). There are two distinctions here. First, our hero i
David Lucero
Mar 29, 2013 David Lucero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going through my collection of favorites and glad I kept this hardback copy I found in a thrift store about fifteen years ago. I had yet to be published and admired MacLean's ability to write novels and screenplays. Some of his books have been made into memorable movies (The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Ice Station Zebra, to name a few).

This book could be a good movie even by today's standards, so long as the producer and director follow the script. We've had enough nonsense with D
Leon
Jul 22, 2014 Leon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in the 80's and found myself disappointed in that I could not like the hero and did like the baddy. I have read most of McLean's books and this is the only one that I have never gone back to re-read. I picked it up last week, took a deep breath and re-read it... only to find myself again liking Branson and NOT liking Revson.
It is a good story and quite exciting in the vein of all the McLean books - I just do not like the hero.
Frankly, I do not know why he did not simply kick h
Ryan
Aug 03, 2015 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally a huge fan of MacLean's thrillers. Most of them have aged remarkably well and still have the ability to portray gripping action.
The Golden Gate, sadly, didn't fit into that category. It was a badly developed plot that had me rooting for the bad guys the whole way through.
The basic premise is that a group of hijackers kidnap the President of the United States in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge and hold him for ransom.
The main character wasn't fleshed out at all and appeared to
Scott Holstad
I'm not really sure how I feel about this one. I normally like MacLean novels, and to a certain degree, I enjoyed this, but I think it had some flaws too.

The book is about the hijacking of the US president and an Arab king and prince on their coach in the middle of the Golden Gate bridge during a visit to San Francisco. Everything has been meticulously planned out. The bridge is wired with explosives. Three coaches are hijacked; the other two contain journalists and FBI agents. (MacLean somehow
Algernon
Jan 22, 2011 Algernon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
not one of his best efforts. It had some fine action moments and an interesting plot, but the writing was uninspiring. Made me think of a Steven segal action movie, and I'm not a big fan of those, either.
George
Mar 16, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Η απαγωγή", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Μια ομάδα εγκληματιών με αρχηγό τον ιδιοφυή Πίτερ Μπράνσον πραγματοποιεί μια απαγωγή που θα μείνει στην ιστορία. Οι εγκληματίες αυτοί, καταφέρνουν να κάνουν το απίθανο, να απαγάγουν τον πρόεδρο των ΗΠΑ καθώς και δυο Άραβες αρχηγούς κρατών, και όλα αυτά στην γνωστή γέφυρα Γκόλντεν Γκέιτ του Σαν Φρανσίσκο. Ο Μπράνσον και οι άντρες του απέκλεισαν και τις δυο εξόδους της γέφυρας με εκρηκτικά και άλλα μέσα, και είχαν σαν απαίτηση την άμεση καταβολή 500.000.000 δολαρίων, ει
Ghost Archer
I've been a fan of the 'adventure' genre since I was a kid with not a little influence from my father's love of C.S. Forrester, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Alister MacLean. It has only been in the last few year that I have have actually started reading MacLean and I finally dug up the Golden Gate. Being a native of the San Francisco Bay area does give me a better picture of the setting than most and as I grew up during the early 1970's, the time frame of the story is spot on for me.
One of the thing
Ratnakar Sadasyula
Jul 09, 2015 Ratnakar Sadasyula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Has to be one of McLean's top 5 novels, if not for anything just for the villain. In Peter Branson, McLean creates one of the most memorable bad guys, whom you would actually end up rooting for. Egoistic to the core, Branson's wry asides on the US President, their dependence on oil, make this novel worth a read. It also has an equally smart hero in Revson, who uses his brains to outwit Branson. Racy, enjoyable, this is one helluva book.
Elijah Shoemaker
This novel started out causing me, the reader, to want for the antagonists to win, but shortly turned it around so that I wanted them to fail. There were multiple subplots transpiring simultaneously; Alistair managed to pull this off beautifully! I thought this was a great book for anyone young adult and up. My definite recommendations!
SteveDave
Jan 24, 2015 SteveDave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Alistair MacLean book I read, and it helped establish him as my favourite author in the action/adventure genre.

I've re-read it once and enjoyed it a second time around, but can't imagine it would hold up again. A MacLean book is one I will pick up when I feel like a lazy, easy, but fun read.
Morgan McGuire
This is the third MacLean book I've read in which a supporting character is named "van Effen". They aren't in a series, aren't the same character...is his best friend named "van Effen" or something? Is he testing whether his "F-ing" editor will notice?
Seema Dubey
Aug 31, 2014 Seema Dubey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I read all of MacLean in my halcyon days! Each one was like a magnet. I don't think the book jacket alone brings back the story, but I remember the book and that I enjoyed it so! perfect for the idyllic, warm summer months!
Lenny Husen
Nov 18, 2015 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3.5 star book, rounded up because it's MacLean.

Liked the villain better than the hero, which was the author's intent, I think.
It is clear that MacLean loves San Franscisco and spent a lot of time there.
Shamila Abeysinghe
The author has a remarkable style of writing, in fact, it was the main reason that kept me going till the end. Apart from a few holes in the plot, a highly entertaining piece of literature that is even worth a movie adaptation.
Rishi Kinger
Dec 07, 2014 Rishi Kinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for people getting into MacLean books. Truly is a page turner right from the start.
The dialogue between the antagonist and the protagonist steals all the limelight away from the foundation/crux of the story.
Just brilliantly amazing , this one is a must read !
Michael d'Offay
Fun read on my day off. My first Maclean novel.. I might even read more into the future.
Prateek Agarwal
Really Gripping, extensively narrated. I loved this book on a whole.
Peter
Apr 05, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alistair-maclean
Its always a joy to reread his books.
Ronald Manley
Aug 04, 2015 Ronald Manley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good.
Glen
Apr 21, 2014 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent ...
Venkat Ramanan
Aug 30, 2012 Venkat Ramanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alistair McLean's The Golden Gate has the normal ingredients of Mclean,

a daring plot and systematic execution.

Add his brand of dry Humour.

The Golden Gun has one novelty-the hero handles the situation literally with his hands hands and brains-no weapons!
An intersting Read.

Alistair McLeanAlistair McLean
Den
Feb 23, 2015 Den rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not even finish this book. I woul not recomend at all.
Richard
Although an avid reader, this was my first Alistair MacLean book. I found the main plot was original but slighly unbelievable at times. The characters were numerous and at times I had to go back to see who was a 'goodie' and who was a 'baddie'. The main good guy, Revson, was most likeable and easy to warm to.

It was thoroughly enjoyable and the star of the book survived at the end, the bridge! I look forward to reading more of his books.
Soumya
Dec 01, 2013 Soumya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book. I thought that the beginning was amazing, the heist perfectly planned out. Then, the book started to get confusing. I knew what was happening but not sure why it was happening. I didn't understand the end either. The language is effective, and I really like Peter Branson's dialogue, but I thought that some of the adjectives were too complex.
MarsianMan
Jul 01, 2010 MarsianMan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread this recently and still loved it. The crime is audacious and daring and the odds for foiling it seem unsurmountable...

There are no huge or epic events, but it is strife with tension and keeps you glued to the story. I hate putting down this book, even when it is over. What else would expect from the writer of Guns from Naverone and Where Eagles Dare?
Lea Carter
Mar 31, 2014 Lea Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Branson has the brains and the means of carrying out this latest "job." Escaping at the end will be easy compared to holding the President hostage and bringing down the Golden Gate Bridge.
But he (literally) misses a single detail - and his plan is now in danger of being what comes crashing down.
Don
Aug 20, 2015 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Not the best from Alistair - pretty lame ending - actually pretty lame novel all around ...
Ravinder
Jul 29, 2012 Ravinder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second Maclean book.

The entire book, I kept imagining about the bridge. I had no encyclopedias at home to check out photos, and it was only much later in the 80's that I saw the images in a NatGeo magazine.
  • Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down
  • Landslide
  • Alistair MacLean's Code Breaker
  • Cloak of Darkness
  • Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • The Iron Tiger
  • The Gemini Contenders
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for HMS Ulysses, his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Honour ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...