Start by marking “Separation Of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)” as Want to Read:
Separation Of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)

Separation Of Power (Mitch Rapp #5)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  32,740 Ratings  ·  692 Reviews
CIA superagent Mitch Rapp is back in action in this high-velocity adventure from the master of the political thriller, Vince Flynn.

SEPARATION OF POWER

CIA director Thomas Stansfield is dead -- a fact many individuals in and around the nation's capital are pleased to hear. But their happiness proves to be short-lived once they learn that Stansfield's successor is the late di
Audio CD, Abridged
Published October 2nd 2001 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Separation Of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Separation Of Power

Richard
Sep 04, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

An excellent read in this, so far, excellent series. Vince Flynn weaves political intrigue with action in this easy to read thriller. Whilst it could be read as a standalone novel it does help to have read the previous novel as there are plot elements that come back into this one.

In the previous novels, especially the first in this series, the word of the day is action. This one has more political going ons but this didn't slow the pace and actually added a nice extra layer and let more c
Lewis Weinstein
Although set many years ago, this story still seems relevant today. The action is non-stop, with multiple plots eventually connected ... a good read.
The Cats Mother
Fifth in the Mitch Rapp series, this one follows closely on from The Third Option and it would be fairly confusing not to have read this first and relatively recently. I enjoyed this more as there was less politics and more action and they brought the plot from the previous book to a satisfying conclusion.
Mitch has travelled to Italy with a plan to propose to Anna and get out of his career as an assassin, but while there meets with his ex Donatella to find out who had tried to have him killed.
Marcie
Dec 16, 2007 Marcie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book, by an author who has really come into his own. He's at the top of his game now, and this is my favorite Mitch Rapp novel.

Separation of Power, 4th in series – Flynn totally redeems himself with this one. This is a continuation of the previous novel's story, and bad guy Hank Clark is finally killed by Mitch and Donatella on the last page. Irene is set up as new head of CIA, so cool under fire.

Flynn uses the technique of switching the action back and forth between chapters,
Robert H
Aug 27, 2012 Robert H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the previous two Flynn novels, while this book could conceivably be read as a stand alone novel, if you haven't read The Third Option then this book will make much less sense, as this is basically a the second of a two part series. So I would definitely recommend that The Third Option be read before starting this book.

Like The Third Option, there is much in the way of political machinations in this story, and the largest event of the novel only really develops in the last fifth of the boo
Eric
Sep 14, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of spy thrillers
This book is excellent, assuming you have read the previous installment in the series, The Third Option, which a lot of the plot carries over from. While a lot of the Mitch Rapp books are stand-alone, these two really read as two volumes of the same story.
Fred Forbes
Dec 11, 2011 Fred Forbes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual thrilling action that makes this series enjoyable "mind candy". Whether it is believable or not is another question but at least it is plausible. Characters are often cartoonish and simple but these books are a great way to pass some time on the beach.
Cindy
Oct 01, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taut, quickly drew & kept me in, well-plotted, likeable cast, light language, no gore or graphics. Read well by Armand Schultz. ©2001 Recommended.
Chuck
May 10, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dual story line involving the confirmation of a new CIA Director and
America's learning of the imminent acquisition of nuclear weopons by
Iraq. It was just OK.
Allan Smulling
Vince Flynn is a guilty pleasure - a testosterone gulping guilty pleasure, but I kind of felt this one fell flat. Flynn's American assassin, Mitch Rapp is shadowed by his boss Irene Kennedy in this installment of the series. We get to see Mitch's feminine side as he realizes that maintaining domestic harmony is far more difficult then wedging a K-BAR combat knife in the spine of some crazed U.S. hating terrorist.

I think I may have been expecting too much out of this one, or perhaps my choice of
Petya
I did not read it - I did not like it. It seems to be something of a political thriller (Flynn's genre anyway) - CIA, the President, etc. I couldn't say it isn't good because it was recommended to me by someone who liked it. So if you enjoy this genre, go for the book!

For me, it was written too detailedly: every time, by every sentence there are the thoughts, the happenings from before, hopes of finally leaving the CIA past behind but always having to do the one last job - too much of everythin
Jim
While the first couple of books in this series were fun & the plots seemed pretty good, everything else went to the dogs in this book. The narrator emphasized the already puffed-up prose. The dialog was terrible & seemed to be written simply to fill space. There was also a lot of repetition. After Mitch thinks about not being able to talk to Annie about his job, they have a conversation about it. A bit much, but then they get on the jet & have the conversation again, this time in whi ...more
Johnny Williams
Oct 08, 2016 Johnny Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright alright- you know I am a Flynn fan by now. But this is by far my favorite in the series. The story is keen on plot and deep on characters as we learn more and more about them all. Mitch Rapp continues as a force to be wary of but now with this new closeness with Kennedy as she takes the reins from Stansfield.. and how the trust builds between them--
Flynn gives a glimpse of the intelligence world as well--
This espionage thriller never slows down and neither does your finger as you turn t
Mr. Gottshalk
Jan 29, 2017 Mr. Gottshalk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are absolutely terrific. Although this one did not have as much action as some of the other Mitch Rapp books, the double-dealing of both Mossad and the CIA was fascinating. If there is a quarter of this much nonsense behind black ops, then our elected representatives should be barred from serving our country. Vince Flynn had a very creative mind, and his books are easy enough to follow. This book is just what I needed after reading a couple of stinkers lately.
Kerry
Jul 31, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great one!! Enjoyed this one a lot.
Winter Sophia Rose
Intriguing, Fast Paced & A Compelling Plot!!! Excellent Read!!! Love It!!!
Speesh
Sep 30, 2016 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with writing modern, bang-up-to-date thrillers, is that they're bang out-of-date, very quickly. So, it’s probably best to look at the publish date before you read and pre-judge this one.

In the great scheme of things, this is the one where Rapp and his girlfriend get serious. However, it’s not all bad news. The book is the best of Vince Flynn’s (I’ve read) so far. Or the best since the second one, at least. It reads, with all ends nicely tied up, like the end of a series, but what it
Jerome
Jun 25, 2012 Jerome rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, this book gives Flynn a bad "Rapp"...whatever. My poor attempt at humor having failed, here are my thoughts:

The ending was underwhelming, pretty uncharacteristic of Flynn. Other than that, this was pretty standard, an OK read, but not as great as say, "Transfer of Power" or "The Last Man."

The characters don't fare well. A 'president' who gives new definition to the term "wooden." Assorted Senators who waffle between power mad and power hungry. And then the redoubtable Mitch Rap, savior of
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; NOVEMBER 13, 2015
Narrator: Ken Kliban

Anna needs to die.

Anna should never have made it to this book.

Anna had better die in the next book.

If not for the Anna parts, I could have given this book 4 stars but I'm hoping this is the worst of the Mitch Rapp series because I couldn't survive reading/listening another Rapp book that has him tangling with that dumb cow of a woman.

Despite some lengthy political history lessons and discussions, I enjoyed this sequel to Transfer of Power
David
May 26, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my favorite of the Mitch Rapp series that I've read so far. As another reviewer mentioned, author Vince Flynn seemed to repeat himself over and over and over again. If you've read the fist two books, or even the first few chapters of this one, you know that General Flood is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. You don't need to be reminded of it every time he makes an appearance. The same with Irene Kennedy, Marcus Dumond, etc., etc.

Still this was a good book and I enjoyed reading it i
Ed
Jul 04, 2008 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans.
A disappointing effort by Vince Flynn. The writing appeared to be Flynn channeling Tom Clancy - all kinds of useless information on weapons and helicopters and planes, etc.

The story also tried to show Mitch Rapp's softer side as he struggled with his love of Anne Rielly (not misspelled) and its conflict with his need to be a super hero.

I kept waiting for the real Mitch Rapp to appear but he only showed up rarely and in short bursts. I don't read Flynn's books to open my eyes to the problems of m
Mary Jo
Jun 22, 2008 Mary Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flynn lovers
Recommended to Mary Jo by: Lenny
Somehow I missed this Vince Flynn. I liked it but not my favorite of his books. Maybe because it ws too real and timely.
Samuel
May 03, 2013 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IN WITH THE NEW

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”- Anonymous.

Vince Flynn's second book, "The Third Option" ended anti-climatically. Dealing with a home invasion by three trigger happy contract killers is admittedly a step down from Islamic terrorists rampaging through the White House. But also, it's because it was merely the first act in what I like to call the "Saddam arc", the part of the series before Rapp became the legendary blunt instrument
Brenda
Mar 08, 2017 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood to go on an adventure. This author does a great job of making the reader feel like they are part of the story. In this book Mitch saves the day, but also falls in love. I enjoyed the human emotions that Mitch showed and felt. The author delivered another exciting story.
Theshrewedshrew
It's like they do this to me on purpose.

In a prolonged spy craft book series. The very fact that such a thing as a living legend in the CIA exists is due to his ability to be no one.

In the first book it states, Mr. President you are about to be brought in on a secret that only 3 people in the world know. This man is IRON MAN... In the course of a year, he went from legend to everyone and their damn dogs knowing who he was.

Literally this is the fault of doing things well. Has anyone else noticed
Tom Fernald
Feb 22, 2017 Tom Fernald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mitch Rapp is the best at what he does, but it is never easy.......

PS: This is a series, more fun to start at the beginning.
Vinit Nair
Apr 16, 2012 Vinit Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story that was started in the second book – The Third Option – is finally ended on this volume. The book starts with Thomas Stansfield dying and Irene Kennedy being nominated by the president to take his place. Mitch Rapp wants to end his spy life and start a life with Anna but before he does that he has to tie up some loose ends, find out who is the mole high up the food chain. His relationship with Anna also becomes unstable because of his nature to keep secrets and Anna’s curiosity over e ...more
Ralph Hermansen
Feb 08, 2013 Ralph Hermansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mitch Rapp series are fast-moving compelling novels. Separation of Power is a real page-turner. I didn't want to put it down. Mitch Rapp, the main character, is a CIA assassin, who unabashedly believes in execution as a way to solve political problems. The book's author,Vince Flynn, uses Rapp's rationalizations for violence as a device to persuade the reader that there is nothing wrong with this kind of thinking. He also tries to convince you that the people attempting to restrain Rapp are t ...more
Linda Munro
Oct 08, 2012 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one but Vince Flynn can write a book like this and make it work!

This book shows the bitter, coniving entities which we have elected as our Congressmen and what lengths they will go to in order to succeed in their goals. These lengths include an attempt on the life of our hero Mitch Rapp, a CIA operative and American Assassin, hired hits on former CIA agents and the public outting of Mitch Rapp. (Hmm, makes me wonder if this book was read by Richard Armitage the State Department person who o
Christian
My second Mitch Rapp adventure. I had been given a heads up that this one might be tough to get through. I gave it 140 pages before I gave up.

In the first Mitch Rapp novel I read, he saves the President and several hostages from a group of terrorists that had taken over the White House. Totally unbelievable in that John McClane sort of way.

This one...not so much. Mundane political maneuvering battles with fleshing out the characters. By page 74 all you have learned is that the new head of the CI
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Pirate (Alexander Hawke, #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
The fifth of seven children, Vince Flynn was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1966. He graduated from the St. Thomas Academy in 1984, and the University of St. Thomas with a degree in economics in 1988.

After college he went to work for Kraft General Foods where he was an account and sales marketing specialist.

In 1990 he left Kraft to accept an aviation candidate slot with the United States Marine C
More about Vince Flynn...

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)

“run. Never look back, and avoid the whole mess. Let” 0 likes