Start by marking “The Horse is Dead” as Want to Read:
Robert Klane

The Horse is Dead

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Undoubtedly the funniest book I've ever read — Jack Benny
Published August 1st 1969 by Pocket (first published April 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Horse is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horse is Dead

I understood that this story was taken from a view of a camp counselor at Camp Tabotchnick located on Blue Point Long Island. An interesting part of Long Island history and a miserable looking camp on Great South Bay. The story revolves around a camper trying to pull a horse out of the stall but the horse did not budge. No wonder...

Anyway the emaciated horses were an eyesore to the community.

The owner of Camp Tabot was an interesting man. He was an expert on the life of Charles Lindbergh who he
Quirky, wickedly funny cult novel from the late 1960s. About a twisted and oversexed camp counselor named Nemiroff. The cheapest this originally $1.50 short novel sells for currently is about $150.00! I loved it and laughed. M. J. Rennie, February 19. 2010. Author of PERMISSION, THE PERFECT WIFE, ALTERNATE EROS, SEX AND SEXIBILITY.
It has been many years since I read this, but I recall it being one of the funniest things I have ever read.
Simon Bate
I read this book years ago and laughed out loud so much that people wanted to borrow it....and then I never got it back because the people who borrowed it laughed out loud so much that people wanted to borrow it and.......
Read this book in 8th grade (some while sitting in class). This is laugh out loud book - mouth wide open - hands slapping your knees kinda book.
Printable Tire
Feb 19, 2012 Printable Tire marked it as to-read
Sorry, director of Thank God It's Friday and Weekend at Bernies II: I reached by quota on neurotic-Jewish-boys-obsessed-with-sex with Portnoy's Complaint, and your rendition of this stale, totally 60's subject matter seems both less funny and more G-rated. Maybe I'll pick up a Max Shulman book again, but that'll have to do.
Mar 29, 2009 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
As the author says 'a tasteless novel" Definiitely not PC. What was hilarious in my 20's is just kind of dumb now - but still a few good laughs.
David Burke
If you can find a copy of this - read it. Might be the funniest book I've ever read. Ridiculous and hilarious coming of age story.
Has been out of print for years but one of the funniest books I have ever read. Ridiculous story of a children's camp.
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Olivina marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Linda Thomas
Linda Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Les Reoch
Les Reoch marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Daniel Heath
Daniel Heath marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
J R marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Lm added it
Jul 14, 2014
Johnny Bennett
Johnny Bennett marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Anita Zetlin
Anita Zetlin marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Dan Muston
Dan Muston marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014