Start by marking “Owning It: Stories about Teens with Disabilities” as Want to Read:
Owning It: Stories about Teens with Disabilities

Owning It: Stories about Teens with Disabilities

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
From an acclaimed anthologist, a stellar collection of stories about teens with disabilities — and the tenacity, spirit, and humor that drive them.

Chris Crutcher takes us on a wild ride through the mind of a teen with ADD, while David Lubar’s protagonist gets a sobering lesson from his friends. In Gail Giles’s tale, Brad can’t help barking at his classmates but finds under
Published February 26th 2008 by Candlewick Press

Colin
God. This book was a disappointment. First, let me say the two good things about it--one, I haven't seen any other book like this out there and two, the editor did a really good job of including stories about invisibly disabled teens that were dealing with a lot of different issues that often aren't seen as part of the disability community: cancer, alcoholism, fat oppression, adhd, migraines...so that was cool. However. Even though there are several well-known YA authors in this book (some of wh ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Apr 07, 2009 Krista the Krazy Kataloguer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ya
An outstanding collection of short stories about teens dealing with various disabilities, including alcoholism, cancer, blindness, obesity, asthma, ADD, severe migraines (that was painful to read!), brain damage/poor short-term memory, Tourette Syndrome, and inability to walk/wheelchair-bound. The only story I didn't like was the last one by Robert Lipsyte, about the boy in the hospital for cancer. I learned something about the conditions described from every one of the stories. My favorites wer ...more
Mia
Apr 28, 2009 Mia rated it liked it
A decent mix of short stories covering various disabilities and illnesses. There were some stories that veered a little too close to the "show and tell and explain" didacticism that disability-related fiction (written by nondisabled authors) can hit -- the Life Time Movie/After-School Special model -- but there were others that rang true to me as a real attempt to get into the heads, hearts and lives of kids living with disabilities. I was dismayed not to notice any authors who self-identified a ...more
Leigh
Oct 05, 2011 Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Series of very short stories about teenagers coping with personal difficulties such as blindness, ADHD, Tourette's and so on. The stories were very short, and all of them end on a positive, hopeful note.
crystalibrary
Dec 01, 2008 crystalibrary rated it it was ok
I agree with others who have reviewed this book- pretty disappointing. Great premise but the execution was quite poor. I felt like some of the writing wasn't polished, or it felt unfinished. Perhaps because it is based on American teen experiences? I couldn't really relate to the characters (and this isn't even taking into consideration relating to characters with disabilities that I am not very familiar with) Even the supporting characterisation in some of the stories was very poor.

Having said
Nov 03, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
I'm more of a novel reader, but this book nicely laid out the perspectives of students with disabilities, highlighting the various situations and emotions students with disabilities may run into that people who don't have this disability might not consider a factor. It really helped me to see the world through their perspective and allowed me to feel more empathy and acceptance for people dealing with disabilities, especially in close communities like a classroom setting.
Brian Williams
Feb 16, 2014 Brian Williams rated it liked it
I like this collection. I thought it was really nice that they went for a broader than normal approach to what a disability is, dealing with many issues teens face but I was disappointed the cover was so dull, boring, generic, and without any brave nature to it. It just looked like any YA cover and lets face it, most YA covers are pretty boring and generic.
Zoie
Feb 04, 2014 Zoie rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-lit
I read this story called "Tic and Shout" in this book. It was a story about a boy with Tourette Syndrome (who knew it was spelled that way). A breath of fresh air after all of the stupid yelling swear-words stereotypes we usually hear, "Tic and Shout" showed the serious side of the syndrome and the difficulties involved with it.

I liked this a lot. It wasn't suspenseful or funny. It was just nice. I wouldn't make fun of someone with Tourette Syndrome before, but I probably wouldn't do a ton to se
internat librarian
Sep 20, 2010 internat librarian rated it liked it
Anthologies need stories that stand out, but it’s hard to identify any favorites here. Robert Lypsite’s view into a cancer ward comes closest. I also liked “See You” by Kathleen Jeffrine Johnson. Other than that, Gallo’s editor’s notes are the biggest highlights. The rest of the stories are either too flat, or abrupt, or obvious, or all of the above.

One other point – Gallo has an extended view of disability. In addition to cancer, there’s a teen alcoholic, a girl who suffers from migraines, and
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I was very disappointed in this collection. I was excited to read it because there are very few books out there that depict teens with disabilities and the stories are by top notch authors, but I found them to be overly didactic and preachy. As a person with a disability myself, I am feel very upset with books about people with disabilities that solely seek to teach and fail to depict them as people first. I'm not saying all the stories in this collection are that way, but as a whole the collect ...more
Emma Christophersen
Sep 24, 2014 Emma Christophersen rated it it was amazing
I Like how it explains how the disabilities with characters.
Kris
Dec 08, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
Suitable for gr. 6-12, probably would make more of an impact in high school. A couple of the stories were a bit gritty, but not inappropriate for middle school. Ten stories by well-known authors describe, in very realistic terms, the lives of disabled teens without preaching for the most part. Disabilities range from Tourette’s Syndrome to blindness to obesity to brain damage, alcoholism and more. Highly recommended, especially for high school.
Claire Scott
Aug 26, 2008 Claire Scott rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, disability, aaaaangst
So many wonderful authors -- authors whose work I respect and really, really enjoy -- writing such mediocre short stories. Oof. Most of these stories were stilted, preachy, issue-ridden, and seemed not all that well-informed. Maybe if I'd been a teen without any knowledge of disability stuff I would have found it eye-opening? As an adult with a background in the disability community who knows how talented these authors are, I was pretty disappointed.

Paige
Feb 13, 2009 Paige rated it liked it
A collection of short stories written for the point of view of teens with various disabilities. I would not just hand it to a teenager, but it would give some teenagers someone to identify with. I found it awakening to "see" things from the teenagers point of view; hopefully it can help with some of my special ones.
Michele
Mar 18, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disability-rights, ya
Great book! Perfect for teens or for anyone that works with teens. Everyone can relate to the stories in the book, since much of it has to do with the high school need to belong, fit in, be accepted. I highly recommend this.
Ms. K-M
Dec 30, 2008 Ms. K-M rated it really liked it
We all have our burdens to bear. . . everything from ADHD or asthma to paraplegia or cancer. But we all have a choice: you can let your troubles own you, or you can own them.
Stephanie
This book had potential, but some of the stories were flimsy. Disappointing.
Jael
Jul 29, 2009 Jael rated it liked it
interesting
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jeremy Reppy
Jeremy Reppy marked it as to-read
Candace Everts
Candace Everts marked it as to-read
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Charlotte Jain
Charlotte Jain marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Julie Barlow
Julie Barlow marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Julianna Mendez
Julianna Mendez marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • King of the Pygmies
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • Formerly Shark Girl
  • New Found Land: Lewis and Clark's  Voyage of Discovery
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • One Death, Nine Stories
  • Exposure (Paul Faustino, #3)
  • Straw House, Wood House, Brick House, Blow
  • I Conquer Britain
  • The Light Fantastic
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • Zap: A Play
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • Owl Ninja (Samurai Kids, #2)
  • The Winter War
  • It's Complicated: The American Teenager
  • Disguised: A Wartime Memoir
"Stories about journeys have interested readers since the beginning of language," says Donald R. Gallo of DESTINATION UNEXPECTED, his critically acclaimed anthology of short stories by prominent writers of young adult fiction. "Arriving at the destination is the goal, certainly, but the experiences during the journey itself are what transform the character. The most important experiences are often ...more
More about Donald R. Gallo...