Start by marking “The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)

The Bull and the Spear (Corum #4)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A FORCE UNLEASHED

A great Winter fell across the earth, and a new age spawned new lords who would be gods: the Fhoi Myore - who yearned for death yet could not be slain. Man's only chance to defeat the Cold Gods rested in the hands of one man - he who possessed the spear Bryionak... he who must ride and tame the great Black Bull of Crinannass... he who is called Corum.
Published August 1st 1986 by Berkley (first published April 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Bull and the Spear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bull and the Spear

Mark Lawrence
Mar 04, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was published in 1973, my copy dates from 1976, and I acquired it from a second-hand book shop in 1979.

This is a slim book that makes my own relatively short debut seem positively bulky. I estimate it at 50-60,000 words, and given that Moorcock could write 15,000 words in a day, I can well believe his claim to have written many of these eternal champion books in a couple of weeks.

The Corum books, along with Elric & Hawkmoon, are highlights of my early fantasy reading and I've avoid
Bill  Kerwin
Mar 15, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

The second Corum trilogy begins with our aging one-eyed, one-handed hero being summoned into a future world (which looks a lot like ancient Ireland) to battle seven powerful interlopers from another plane.

Echoes of old Gaelic mythology abound, and—as usual—the writing is brisk, the tone is brooding, and the world view pessimistic and complex.

Rick
Book Four of the Chronicles of Corum doesn't exactly pick up where Book Three left off. In fact, a great deal of time has past. A duration that has left Prince Corum as melancholy as, perhaps, a certain Danish prince of Shakespearean renown. Thus begins a new cycle of tragedy and triumph for this Celtic myth inspired incarnation of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion. This first stage of the cycle sets Corum on a quest to find a legendary spear that will control a giant bull that will, or so leg ...more
Andy Wixon
I read an interview with Michael Moorcock where he revealed the secrets of his art: deciding that as he could write 15,000 words a day, it would be lazy not to, he set that as a target and proceeded to knock out two new books a week.

For me, this explains the prolific nature of Moorcock's fantasy output, but also something of its tone: the vague sense that the author is on some sort of autopilot (perhaps in a creative trance would be a more flattering way of putting it) and the odd insubstantiali
Kate Sherrod
Mar 04, 2015 Kate Sherrod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's official. I like Corum best of all the Eternal Champions. It's fascinating how he's shed so many of the accoutrements of his identity as he's gone along. I miss Jhary & Whiskers though.
Fantasy Literature
4 stars from Brad, read the full review at FANTASY LITERATURE

This review contains spoilers for the first three books in the Corum series.

Michael Moorcock’s CORUM series is comprised of two trilogies. In the first trilogy, Corum defeated the three Chaos rulers of the fifteen planes, giving Law back much of its lost power and thereby restoring the Balance. Starting eighty years later, the second trilogy starts with The Bull and the Spear (1973). As the book starts, we find that Corum has lived in
Simon Mcleish
Jul 26, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in July 2000.

The start of this novel is very melancholy. Several decades after the end of the Swords trilogy, the immortal Corum has sunk into lethargy after the death of his beloved human wife, Rhalina. He starts experiencing strange dreams, and finally allows himself to be taken far into the future by a mystical incantation. The people who have called him, half-believing, are driven by desperation. The world is under attack by mysterious non-sentient beings
Mike (the Paladin)
This trilogy is a much darker trilogy that the first (and that's saying something) In these if you're familiar with Irish folklore I think you'll recognize a retelling of the Nuada or Silver Arm or Silver Hand, (King of the Tuatha Dé Danann) legend.

Corum not being human has had to face the fact that he outlives any mortal be may love. Now again faced with a danger he must deal with he feels very alone, and is very vulnerable. These are much darker than the first trilogy (as I said) and the fact
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first set of the Eternal Champion books I read. Very interesting, very tortured main character. Great fantasy set. Highly recommended.
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 15, 2015 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is perhaps my favorite of the Corum novels. It takes the slight Celtic theming of the original trilogy and cranks it up to 11, really drenching the stories in the Matter of Ireland, while still creating an original story that feels like it's a party of the Eternal Champion mythos. Besides that, the story itself is a typical quest, well told, with a very mythic ending that I love.
Gileblit
Dec 08, 2014 Gileblit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: español
La primera entrega de la segunda saga de Córum está repleta de guiños a todos aquellos que conocen la mitología celta, sobre todo la leyenda de Nuada de la Mano de Plata y la segunda batalla de Mag Thuired. Una obra que se yergue como homenaje a Yeats y al Multiverso más Moorcockiano, lectura imprescindible para los fans tanto de la mitología como del Príncipe de la Túnica Escarlata.
Donny Swords
Feb 18, 2016 Donny Swords rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Fantasy

Prince Corum of the Scarlet Robe sets out on a quest to rescue a doomed people...
I enjoyed this book and loved the ending. Michael Moorcock's characters fascinate and his ability to write great battles doesn't fail here. I highly recommend this author.
Sim
Apr 02, 2012 Sim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, its obviously pure fantasy and obviously with the classic antihero of Moorcock's books. An easy and short read, it has enough of action and enough of description. A good buy, even its just for the weirdness.
Colin
Aug 28, 2015 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series of Corum books - this one has strong influences from Celtic mythology, and elements of myth are woven with great skill into the sword-and-sorcery world of Corum . . . great stuff!
Paul
Oct 09, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure for Corum as he travels beyond his time and realm to help humans who view him as a demi-god. He must find a magical spear and summon the Black Bull in order to save the world.
Bryn Hammond
Apr 15, 2012 Bryn Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagined-fiction
Nostalgia. I had a Corum phase. This is the one that stands out in my memory, though I've forgotten the plot.
James
Jan 11, 2010 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Michael Moorcock why are you so great? Thus begins my Michael Moorcock phase...winter 2010.
Jason Peters
Fun, quick read. Definitely had a slightly lighter tone than the previous Corum trilogy.
Arax Miltiadous
και εκει που προβληματίστηκα να δω επιστρέφει ανανεωμένος και τολμηρός όσο ποτέ!
Peter
May 22, 2012 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Corum books leave me cold I am afraid
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
much better than Twilight.
Charles
Hrolfr
Hrolfr added it
Sep 24, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
Sep 18, 2016
Lance Eaton
Lance Eaton rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Esben Kobberstad
Esben Kobberstad rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth, #4)
  • Empire
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon (The Conan Chronicles, #2)
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
  • The Coming of the Horseclans (Horseclans, #1)
  • Viriconium Nights
  • The Song of Rhiannon
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Corum (6 books)
  • The Knight of the Swords (Corum, #1)
  • The Queen of the Swords (Corum, #2)
  • The King of the Swords (Corum, #3)
  • The Oak and the Ram (Corum, #5)
  • The Sword and the Stallion (Corum, #6)