Start by marking “The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)” as Want to Read:

The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts #4)

Eye-opening insights into the body as mirror of the psyche in eating disorders and weight disturbances. Case studies and practical procedures emphasize the integration of the body and soul.
Published January 1st 1982 by Inner City Books (first published December 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter

Barbara Klaser
Jul 14, 2012 Barbara Klaser rated it it was amazing
I took a couple of months to read The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter by Marion Woodman. I'm not sure why it took me so long, but I think it had to do with finally realizing what a victim of stress I allowed myself to be for my entire adult life, going from a skinny kid and teen to a fat middle-aged adult and wondering all the while why I could no longer keep weight off, and why at my most "successful" monetarily, I was my most overweight and most unhappy.

What occurred to me though, and angered me, w
mdmcreative
Apr 17, 2016 mdmcreative rated it it was amazing
Patriarchy's effects on the feminine, with one of the results being eating disorders.
I think we can clearly see this so prominent in today's society, and it affects both men and women.
Amé
I decided to read this book out of interest in understanding the depth psychology motives for bulimia. Unfortunately there was no reference to it in this book which despite its many merits I found very hard going. Marion Woodman is an analyst and writer of tremendous experience and insight but I found her approach to both conditions (clearly obesity got more stage time) very convoluted and was left with more questions than answers. It is always worth reading for the valuable analytical work on t ...more
AK Anderson
Aug 09, 2015 AK Anderson rated it it was amazing
Part of the Jungian analyst series - so it's for analysts by analysts - and can get a little heady. this isn't the first of these I've read for my research. I wish she had gone more into her conclusions and the work the women needed to do to come out of it, also, since this is from 1980, I'd love to see this work revisited.
Elyssa
Oct 03, 2007 Elyssa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: therapists
Shelves: psychology
I read this for a Treatment of Eating Disorders class in graduate school. The author is considered an eating disorder expert. Her concepts are based in Jungian theory and her interesting perspective blends well with more traditional theories and treatment approaches to eating disorders.
Selkie
Nov 16, 2008 Selkie rated it liked it
The book can tend to get a bit lofty in places, but I can really empathize with the women that participated in the study. Although I do not suffer the same condition, it still wretches the heart to read. The book deals more with obesity & compulsive eating more than anorexia or bulimia.
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Zayatz
Zayatz rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Aija Lejniece
Aija Lejniece rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2012
Stéphanie
Stéphanie rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Tacha Arnold
Tacha Arnold rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Keri Hahn
Keri Hahn rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Oksana
Oksana rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Rukmini Diane
Rukmini Diane rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Tammie
Tammie rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Michael Wilming
Michael Wilming rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Arthur "AJ"
Need to reread this one.
L. Anne
L. Anne rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
Elle
Elle rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Slboland Boland
Slboland Boland rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Hilde
Hilde rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Tess Olson
Tess Olson rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Louise Johnson
Louise Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Possumdaan
Possumdaan rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Julia Morozova
Julia Morozova rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Lani Carroll
Lani Carroll rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-Daughter Relationship
  • Inner Gold: Understanding Psychological Projection
  • Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 73)
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
  • The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity
  • The Dream and the Underworld
  • Jung on Active Imagination
  • On Divination & Synchronicity: The Psychology of Meaningful Chance (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 3)
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • Suddenly Sixty And Other Shocks Of Later Life
  • Descent to the Goddess: A Way of Initiation for Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 6)
  • The New Peoplemaking
  • The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness and Finding Your True Adult Self
  • The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness
Marion Woodman is a Canadian mythopoetic author and women's movement figure. She is a Jungian analyst trained at the C. G. Jung Institute in Zürich, Switzerland. She is one of the most widely read authors on feminine psychology, focusing on psyche and soma. She is also an international lecturer and poet. Her collection of audio and visual lectures, correspondence, and manuscripts are housed at OPU ...more
More about Marion Woodman...

Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • World Weary Woman: Her Wound and Transformation
  • Alcoholism and Women: The Background and the Psychology
  • Close Relationships: Family, Friendship, Marriage (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 57)
  • The Mother: Archetypal Image in Fairytales (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 34)
  • The Archetype of Renewal: Psychological Reflections on the Aging, Death and Rebirth of the King (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 104)
  • The Dream Story (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 44)
  • Eros and Pathos: Shades of Love and Suffering (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 40)
  • The Spiral Way: A Woman's Healing Journey
  • Vertical Labyrinth: Individuation in Jungian Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 20)
  • Visions in the Night: Jungian and Ancient Dream Interpretation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 91)