The Essential Lewis and Clark Selections: The Essential Lewis and Clark Selections

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The journals of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark remain the single most important document in the history of American exploration. Through these tales of adventure, edited by American Book Award nominee Landon Jones, we see the Great Plains, the Rocky Mountains, and western rivers the way Lewis and Clark first observed them -- majestic, pristine, uncharted, and awe-inspi...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 3rd 2003 by HarperAudio (first published July 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Lewis and Clark Selections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Lewis and Clark Selections

Joseph
I've always been interested in how Native Americans lived before Europeans came to America and never could find a good book. I was surprised on how much detail Lewis & Clark described the tribes they encountered. They were the first outside group (whites and one black slave) that many Native Americans ever encountered. Really interesting stuff. It would be a great book for a high school or college level history class. In my opinion, students would learn more from this book than the standard...more
Joshua
I have not read many books that are compiled in a "diary-like" nature. However, this book was fascinating as one could really imagine all of the scenarios playing out while Lewis & Clark made their famous trek across the Wild, Wild, West and Northwest to find a passage to the Pacific Ocean. This voyage was commissioned on behalf of the President Thomas Jefferson and the United States government shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.

Throughout school, I had briefly studied this expedit...more
Peter Galamaga
I bought this audio book 7 years ago - I think as a result of an intriguing interview on the radio. So when it finally got to the top of my "Audible.com pile" I wasn't sure what to expect. Mostly - I was expecting to be bored. Man - was I surprised.
This is an abridged/edited version of the diaries of Lewis and Clark as they crossed the country and reached the Pacific ocean. It's read by two narrators - one for each explorer and one of them is Tom Wopat (Luke Duke for you 70s TV fans) and they re...more
Don Weidinger
2quarts whiskey June04 St Louis, small pox deaths, elk on sandbar, Bad Humor, high cheek bones, whip, trade squaw, April05 Yellowstone River, 3 forks, west of Dillon 8/05 merry people in extreme poverty, ate dogs, May06 when do we start back, Sept cut horses sweat lodge tree fire for good journey bad mosquitoes bears 10Kbuffalo, August party disperse and first liquor in year, Sept 21 St Charles 3500 miles including 340 over land 3 bear species.
Brian
Fantastic. Just fantastic. What was most striking about Lewis and Clark was that in many ways they were not only pioneers but also role models. Brave, yes, but also model friends, attentive captains, and generally fair and scrupulous diplomats with the many Indian tribes they met. This edited version of their journals, its entries selected with keen historical and dramatic sensibility, is a real page-turner, reading like a well-paced novel and grabbing you like a Hollywood blockbuster. Would rec...more
Krista
Standardized spelling (and spell check) is a blessing! This book is a selection of Lewis and Clark's most relevant journal entries from their trip to the Pacific Ocean on the Oregon coast, and back to civilization. It was written before dictionaries became widely used, and boy can that make the reading confusing at times. It was interesting to see how many ways Clark could spell Charbonneau. I think that there were about 7 or 8 different spellings.

I was struck once again how arduous the explorat...more
Jeff Bare
Pretty wild adventure those fellows had. Nice selection of journal entries keeps the story moving. Excellent readers in the audiobook.
Tina
It would be such a great adventure to travel the country as Lewis and Clark did. This was an interesting read with journal detailing the difficulties and the customs of the people they met.
Lauren
I actually didn't finish this book. I only got about halfway through and decided to start another book that was on hold for me at the library. What Lewis and Clark went through was amazing, but I had a hard time with the format of the book. Since it is just excerpts from their journal entries, it jumps around and doesn't flow very well. The frequent misspelling is also very distracting for me, so I had a hard time focusing on the book. Maybe I'll pick it up again later and finish it someday.
Ed
I enjoyed the audiobook, with distinct voice actors performing Lewis and Clark. They were surprisingly descriptive regarding flora, fauna, landscapes, and cultures they encountered.
Cathy Houston
difficult read due to spelling and syntax but interesting information
Mike Dunn
Terrifically edited primary source on the Lewis & Clark journey. Don't expect any substantial analysis, or really any author opinion. Know that it's merely a seriously edited version of their journals. Nicely put together with clear edits, and a clear author goal.
Cyndi
Journal entries of Lewis and Clark's expedition. I had heard most of the stories before so that is why the low rating. The material is not really presented in an interesting manner and without a background or knowledge of the era, your understanding could be diminished of what a truly great undertaking this was and the value of what was gleaned. Left me wanting more.
Brandon
Collection of journal entries by Lewis and Clark. Interesting... worked fairly well as an audio book and kept me interested. The best parts involved Sharbono and his constant screw-ups.

-Sharbono lost my axe and gun
-Sharbono almost capsized the boat today.
-Sharbono nearly shot me.
Tracy
This book was interesting but I would have gotten into it more if it was written like a novel instead of like a diary. The entries, of course, didn't flow because they were written different days so sometimes I had a difficult time paying attention.
Kristen
I guess technically I haven't read this book, since I couldn't drag myself further than the fifth or sixth chapter. I'm sure it's rich with information, but it is, um well. . . boring. Sorry. Maybe you loved it.
Marni
Dec 04, 2010 Marni marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I flipped through and read portions of this. Something I would like to get back to. The journal excerpts are fun to read! You get to read their actual experiences instead of commentary and summary.
Mark Selby
Every American should be acquainted with the journals of Lewis and Clark. I listened to the audio book of this excerpt. The narration greatly enhanced the experience and enjoyment.
Matt Anderson
Very interesting accounts to read of the journey. However it would have been far more interesting if there were contextual or background descriptions for the journal notes.
Jason
Was hoping for a narrative of the journey, was a little disappointed that it is mostly diary/journal entries from the journey. Still good though.
Alan
Well edited and fun to hear Lewis and Clark's letters read. Unfortunately, there isn't much explanation of what is going on.
Al
Kind of dry, being used to fiction, but was impressed with there accounts and the fact it was in they're own words.
Kim
I was really disappointed in this book. It is excerpts from the diaries of Lewis and Clark and lacked context.
Allie
Loved this book! Great insight into the daily travels of Captain Lewis and Captian Clark.
Linda
The notes from the expedition - fascinating, and what humane men they appeared to be.
Tom
Aug 28, 2012 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to read about adventures.
A must read. First encounters with grizzlies,and native Americans.
Reuel
Ed. Landon Y. Jones.
William Clark And The Shaping Of The West Great Expectations Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation The Journals of Lewis and Clark