Start by marking “Sweet, Sweet Memory” as Want to Read:
Sweet, Sweet Memory

Sweet, Sweet Memory

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A lyrical, loving picture book about the death of a loved one, from an esteemed author and illustrator.
Published December 30th 2000 by Jump At The Sun (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet, Sweet Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet, Sweet Memory

Valerie
Summary:
In this story, Jacqueline Woodson again writes about a topic that is a reality in our lives: the death of a loved one. Here, a young girl, Sarah, faces the truth and pain of losing her grandfather with whom she has built a very strong connection and bond. Together they had planted and worked in their garden, and once explained, "like us, a part of [the Earth:] next dies. Everything and everyone goes on and on." Although Sarah experiences the sadness and pain of his death, she shares he
Randie
Sarah and her grandma cope with the death of grandpa by recalling his stories, his words, and remembering that everything goes on and on.

With deep, warm colors and strokes of a paint brush, the illustrations capture a wide range of expressions, emotions, and energy.
Amber Gordon
This is a bibliotherapy book that helps children understand death and is age appropriate for kindergarteners through third graders. Sarah is struggling with the reality of her deceased grandpa and remembers things that her grandfather said to her. Her grandpa said that the earth lives and it grows and “a part of it never dies. Everything and everyone goes on and on.” I thought this was a very important point because people are remembered through their loved ones so it is true that people do not ...more
JoAnna
This very well-written book is about Sarah who has lost her grandfather. She is trying to come up with a story to share with everybody at the funeral but is stumpted. Until she is reminded of the one saying her grandfather always said, "Everything and everyone goes on and on." This helps her to share her own sweet memories with everybody. Throughout the entire book, she is reminded of her grandfather's saying. This helps her and her grandmother to cope with the death and move on. But, to move on ...more
Lisa
This book touched me in a very personal way because of the story line. It is about a young girl who is dedicated because she was very close to her grandfather who recently passed away. This is probably not a book to read to a class during leisure time because it's a complicated subject matter for young children.
Josiah
I believe that I would grant this book two and a half stars.
Jacqueline Woodson is masterful in her way of dealing with the grief of children after the fact, gently letting the reader into the world of her characters without making the sadness too sharp for her young picture-book readers to remain comfortable.
The illustrations of Floyd Cooper match the tone of the story perfectly, complementing the cadence of Jacqueline Woodson's words and letting the story shine for all that it is.

"The earth
Barbara
Like so many of us, Sarah struggles with the loss of her beloved grandfather, and when the family gathers to share their memories of him, at first she finds it hard to share her own. But when the others talk about the times they spent planting crops in the garden with him, they are reminded of his firm belief that "everything and everyone goes on and on" (unpaginated). Months pass, and the family enjoys the fruits of his labors--the harvest of the seeds he planted and crops he tended. This pictu ...more
Kara Roberts
Now that Grandpa's gone, Sarah tries to remember what he used to say about the garden. Like us , he would tell her, a part of it never dies. Everything and everyone goes on and on. But Sarah feels very sad, even though Grandma and all the relatives are with her, sharing stories and hugs. How can life go on without Grandpa? As summer slips into fall, Grandma and Sarah share a rich garden harvest-and their sweet, sweet memories of Grandpa. The stories and memories of loved ones, Sarah learns, are ...more
Julie Graham 47150
This is a very touching story about a girl, named Sarah, whose grandfather has died. She tries to remember what he used to say about the garden. "Like us, a part of it never dies," he would say. "Everything and everyone goes on and on." As the family shares their memories of him, Sarah wonders how she will go on without her grandfather.
This story reminds me of Corinthians 13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." It is her grandfather's love and
Tana Rose
Sad yet sweet memories of a child experiencing the death of her grandfather.
Shauntae Middleton
a story about death, living on and remembering those who are gone.
Kelly Tessitore
Sweet, Sweet Memory is a book about a young girl raised by her grandparents, but her grandfather has just died. Woodson addresses this serious topic by showing how to celebrate life and focus on the good memories people leave you with. The illustrations are very unique. They are beautiful but blurry as if the pictures are symbolizing the fuzzy memories people have of her grandfather. Woodson also delves into the importance of listening to the people and animals around you and appreciating nature ...more
Kathy
Sweet, Sweet Memory is a bibliotherapy book. It focuses on the life of Sarah's grandfather who has recently passed away. Grandpa's favorite saying was, "Everything and everyone goes on and on." An activity to consider; have the students write an essay on someone who is special and memorable to them. Secondly, take the phrase "Everything and everyone goes on and on;" have the students sequence the seasons of the year providing facts & illustrations about one specific season.
Heidi
A good story to help a child who might be coping with the death of a loved one. It shows a young girl's experience with her grandfather's death and how she and her family learn to move on while keeping his memory alive. While a good book, not very good for a story time because it's too focused to work well for a group.
Sally Staples
This book brought tears to my eyes. It's about a little girl who has lost her grandpa. Her family shares their memories of him and she realizes they shared many of the same memories. Her grandpa loved to garden and would say "Watch the world" "Watch the way it grows". I loved it!!
Denesha Allen
This is a good book to read to students that may be experiencing the lost of a loved one. The main charcter in the story lost her grandfather and she used memories to rememeber the wonderful times they shared. This book is an excellent read aloud for upper elementary school.
Deborah
Sarah is heart-broken when her grandpa dies. Yet she and her relatives find comfort in her grandfather's words that "everything and everyone goes on and on". A touching, comforting story of death, remembrance, and celebrating the life of someone special who moved on.
Jenna
This is not very live or imaginative book. It is a very serious book about death and mourning.It shows a different approach to dealing with death and how to look on the brighter side. The ending leaves you feeling optimistic.
Kim
Beautiful and sweet. A little girl remembers her grandfather on the day of his memorial service. Gentle, comforting illustrations and a powerful reminder that those we love never really leave us.
Kayce
Little girl who loses her grandfather and is struggling with how to share her feelings at his funeral. Probably wouldn't work for a primary classroom, a little too poetic? Can't put my finger on it.
Christina
This is a heartwarming story that reminds us that life keeps going even after a hard loss. It honors feelings and the difficulty of losing a grandparent yet shows the comfort of family in that time.
Kendra
A moving story about a little girl struggling to deal with the loss of her grandfather. The story will bring up your own memories of loved ones passed.
Janna Peterson
Very sweet book about death and the grieving process. Handles death in a very good manner. Children who have experienced death can relate.
Elizabeth
A very sweet story remembering all of the things her grandpa had told her after he dies which makes the loss of him easier.
Beth
The family finds comfort in sharing stories after Grandpa's passing. Memories and the world press on.
Becky
Jacqueline Woodson always touches my heart!
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I used to say I’d be a teacher or a lawyer or a hairdresser when I grew up but even as I said these things, I knew what made me happiest was writing.

I wrote on everything and everywhere. I remember my uncle catching me writing my name in graffiti on the side of a building. (It was not pretty for me when my mother found out.) I wrote on paper bags and my shoes and denim binders. I chalked stories a
More about Jacqueline Woodson...
Brown Girl Dreaming The Other Side Feathers Locomotion If You Come Softly