Start by marking “This Is Where We Live: Short Stories by 25 Contemporary North Carolina Writers” as Want to Read:
This Is Where We Live: Short Stories by 25 Contemporary North Carolina Writers

This Is Where We Live: Short Stories by 25 Contemporary North Carolina Writers

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  4 reviews
As readers across America know by now, North Carolina has produced a remarkable number of talented fiction writers in recent years. This anthology collects twenty-five short stories, all published within the past decade and a half, by some of the best of those writers.
"This Is Where We Live" showcases a rising generation of North Carolina authors whose work reflects the f
Published October 2nd 2000 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about This Is Where We Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Where We Live

Piedmont_Michael
This is a short review since I didn’t finish the book.. North Carolina is blessed with a lot of good writers; at least that is stated in the introduction. Maybe I’m not much of a short story reader, as most of these tales didn’t really sink their hooks into me. I should go ahead and confess that I tend strongly toward more interest in non-fiction – especially History and Public Affairs – than fiction, and just don’t have time to read a lot of contemporary fiction (I have enjoyed James Thurber, J ...more
Anna
This is a nice little collection. Honestly, there isn't anything life-changing in here, and the voices are oddly repetitive. There isn't a lot of variety, but maybe that's the point?

Some highlights include:

The Prophet from Jupiter
Missing Women
The Deer
The Woods at the Back of Our Houses
Piecework (my personal favorite)
Namedoris Powell
I am not a great short story reader. Some of these stories were okay. Some of them I wondered what they were all about. I read them mostly because they were written by southern authors, many living and teaching in North Carolina.
courtney
Yay for authors from North Carolina!
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Madonna Gallant
Madonna Gallant marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Lisa Higgins
Lisa Higgins marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Zack Vile
Zack Vile is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Kristin Harkins
Kristin Harkins marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Greta
Greta added it
Dec 18, 2008
Kerry Mccaskill
Kerry Mccaskill marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2007
The Language They Speak Is Things to Eat: Poems by Fifteen Contemporary North Carolina Poets That Was Oasis Sad Girl Sitting on a Running Board The Smallest Talk Colander: A Novel of Early Medieval Wales