Start by marking “Running Back” as Want to Read:
Running Back

Running Back (Cambrooke #2)

In the midst of his high school career, football star Garrett Light begins to feel the pressure of his Christian upbringing.
With his friends all partying and dating, he’s feeling left behind.
Then when the beautiful brunette shows up, that’s when he forgets everything he’s been told all his life.
Doing things his own way even if it means hiding them from his parents and f
Published 2014

To ask other readers questions about Running Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Back

Elisha
Jun 21, 2014 Elisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-so
**I received a free copy from the author to provide an honest review of this book**

3 1/2***

-- Let me start off by saying I'm past my teenage years, so my age & experiences do affect my opinion of this story. --

Wow, this book is a roller coaster ride & I'm still reeling from it. This is not like any Christian romance books I've ever read before & very unexpected! It made me very uncomfortable at times & kept me wondering how it was going to work out.

I finished this book in one da
Rachel Gunter
Jul 21, 2014 Rachel Gunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book by Emily Camp in exchange for an honest review...so here we go! :D

When I received this book I wasn't sure what I was expecting - a light contemporary read, boy meets girl they fall in love etc. - but it was so much more than that. The main character here is Garrett, he's 16 years old football player from a loving, fairly strict Christian family. His parents have many rules that Garrett has to follow - including no dating while under 18, and of course no sex before
Tracy
Apr 18, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
I received an ARC by Emily Camp in exchange for an honest review.

Summary : Garrett has grown up being told what to believe.
Dealing with the peer pressures of being a star high school football player. He is torn between his convictions and what his teammates expect.

The summer he is sixteen he begins to question what he has been told all his life.

When he meets Bree he completely throws all his beliefs out the window to be with her.

Sneaking around and doing things he isn't supposed to he finds
Maria
Sep 22, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received a free copy to review this book**

I really enjoyed the characters and plot of this book. The relationships in the book weren't rushed, like most stories seem to be. Emily Camp addressed a lot of modern day problems in this book. I felt as if it had a bit of everything. It was weird, experiencing joy then sadness then joy again. The characters didn't change over night--that would have been so unrealistic. My favorite characters are Bree and Colten. Bree isn't one of those well…sluts.
Miranda Uyeh
Jul 18, 2014 Miranda Uyeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel to Here Comes The Light. I liked that between the two books, the premise for Running Back was set in the second half of book #1, Here Comes The Light, only that the relevant details hashed out in book #2, which made it its own story, were absent in book #1, making the entire plot come together in full circle.

This is the story of Garrett and Bree. Unlike Bree, Garrett was raised in a Christian and loving family, but because of peer pressure and his popularity as the runnin
Courtney
Note: I am being completely honest so I’ll always comment on at least one bad aspect even if the book is amazing. I am not giving a description, only a review, I will make comparisons and try not to reveal spoilers.

[3 Stars]

This novel was great but in comparison to the first book (of the series) it fell under the "average" category. The links this book shared with the first book was interesting and subtle without giving any main plot twists away.
I enjoyed Bree's history, how she came from a bro
Diana
Apr 19, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In book 2 of this series, the story is told from a different angle. The book is a great young adult book as well as a good book for anyone who enjoys YA reading. The book tells of teenager rebellion, growing up, making mistakes that can't be erased and of the parents behind them. Although Bree and Garrett are the focus of this book, it shows siblings, parents and youth leaders that reach out and touch the lives of each other. The book also shows that those mistakes made while rebelling from God ...more
Joanne
Mar 26, 2016 Joanne rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for both young adults and adults. Adults may remember events from their past. Some events they remember will be painful, some nostalgic. For young adults, it serves as a warning and discussion starter. Young adults may recognize themselves in the characters and identify with them. As the story unfolds, the challenges faced by the young adults as they face peer pressure become evident. In many ways, the book is painful to read because it brings us into real life situations ...more
Elizabeth Ray
Jul 27, 2014 Elizabeth Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

3.5 stars. The main character, Garrett, drove me a little bit crazy sometimes. Did he really need to keep screwing up over and over again? I guess some
people in real life are like that, but it was annoying. It was hard to like or sympathize with him after the first few mistakes where he didn't learn a thing.

I did really like the messages in this book and feel like it's something every teen should read. It deals with a ton of re
Delia
Apr 14, 2014 Delia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite, Heartbreaking, Wonderful

I absolutely loved this book. It's a very emotional story I laughed and I cried, its a heartfelt story about faith and struggling with your beliefs. Coming to terms with doing what is right and dealing the consequences when you mess up. Running Back is a must read and I cant want for the next story in the Cambrooke series Emily Camp is an amazing writer.
Misty Iputi
Apr 26, 2014 Misty Iputi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many emotions with reading Running Back, one word to describe the entire book would be captivating. This may be given from a young teenage boy perspective who deals with struggles and issues however it is written as if anyone could be dealing with most of the issues.

As I do not like to write spoilers, I will say tissues are needed as well as the laughter along with the different mixture of emotions.

Received a free copy for an honest review.
Roxanna Cross
Aug 24, 2014 Roxanna Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-reviewed
I cried, I laughed, I cried some more. Emily Camp's poignant characters had me letting out few woot-woot along the way and few other choice words as this roller coaster ride took me through this emotion packed page turner. All I can say is I can't wait for the next Cambrooke adventure!
☆Joycedale☆
May 23, 2014 ☆Joycedale☆ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r, kindle-2
This book is nothing like I was expecting. Its heartwarming, funny and sad all at in one.

The story revovles around Garrett and his friends and family. I love almost all the characters even the secondary ones. They are so well written that I felt like I was pulled into their world.

I like how even with the situations they're put through they manage to always find their way back to god. And there's some pretty bad ones.

I'm glad Garrett listened to his heart and was able to help Colten before it was
Brandy
May 21, 2014 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story truly has it all: action, heartache, hope, love, warm fuzzies, you name it. The story runs parallel with the first book in the series and intertwines beautifully without any spoilers or obvious flags.

One of the requirements for a story to be good in my 'book' is the element of surprise. For a while, I thought I had the story figured out and the ending predicted, but I was not prepared for a heart wrenching twist and turn of events toward the end.

The story follows the lives and events
Jaycee Peterson
Nov 06, 2013 Jaycee Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I received an ARC of this for an honest review.

Garrett Light is the middle child in a Christian
family. He feels that he is always in his older
brother Declan's shadow while fulfilling his father's
dream on playing football. One night at a party, he
meets Bree. Bree is a typical fifteen year old girl
with family problems of her own. After secretly
dating, Bree ends up pregnant. Through this story of
teenage pregnancy, bullies, school shootings and
family drama/expectations .. it reminds you who
Abigail Cornejo
Nov 24, 2013 Abigail Cornejo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Kizziah
Aug 11, 2016 Sandra Kizziah rated it it was amazing
This was a very emotional book! Every parent and teenager should read this book! It had a few editing issues but the message was worth more than the purchase price! Wish I could give it ten stars!
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Allie Means
Allie Means rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Manon
Manon rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
DJ
DJ rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Diane Hamel
Diane Hamel rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
EllieJordyn
EllieJordyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Jose
Jul 29, 2014 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I over the book couldn't put it down
Jorine
Jorine rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2014
Raven
Raven rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2013
Taomie Rosario
Taomie Rosario rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015

Emily is the author of the young adult Cambrooke Series. When she isn't writing she can be found procrastinating on social media. She currently resides in Ohio with her husband, two children and dog.
More about Emily Camp...