The Sea Gulls Woke Me

The Sea Gulls Woke Me

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Jean is convinced she's the world's worst social misfit. Then she accepts a summer job at a Maine resort and her whole life changes. In a setting full of crisp cool air, white-capped waves, and gleaming sails, Mary Stolz's third novel presents once again very real young people dealing capably with their own problems and enjoyng themselves with all the enthusiasm and ingenu...more
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1951 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Gulls Woke Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea Gulls Woke Me

Jaena Rae
I wish I could express just how excited I am to have found this book. The title and the author had escaped me for the better part of the year, but the story has always remained fresh in my mind.

It was part of a collection of free books that I picked up from my middle school library. The cover was worn and pretty cheesy, and for some reason I assumed it was published in the 1970s.

Woops. Try 1951.

But I digress.

This is one of the few books I remember best from my childhood. Or preadolescence. It...more
Nancy
I read The Sea Gulls Woke Me when I was sixteen (the same age as the woefully awkward protagonist, Jean) and it made me believe that I could survive adolescence. Poor Jean is a social zero, with a headful of frumpy braids because her mother won't hear of her cutting her hot, heavy masses of long hair ("Your crowning glory, Jean!"). She finally gets a date to a dance and the boy is an unkind, ill-mannered loser, and, sweet Jesus, her dress is taupe. (Taupe! I hated her mother for buying that awfu...more
Dotti
I first read this book 40(!) years ago and it has been in my top ten for formational books in my life. I can still remember how I felt when I first read it. It described a normal girl in a normal family getting to experience freedom for the first time. It is still on my bookshelf, and now that I know Amazon is charging so much for it, I will guard it.
A.J. Llewellyn
I was so thrilled to find a tattered copy of this for free at my local library's book sale throw-away cart. It is one of the best books I read as a teen. I re-read it last night. It is still a wonderful examination of the loneliness and isolation of being a teenager. I still love The Seagulls Woke Me. And I still love Mary Stolz.
Rebecca
This is still one of my all-time favorite books. I read it when I was in middle school. The version I have is my Mom's, which is actually a library book from 1963 that she forgot to take back.
Becky
For young adult fiction, I thought this was one of the best books I read as a teenager.
Casey
I first read this book 35 years ago--and to this day, it is one of my favorites!!
Jodi
Cute and easy summer read.
Micealaya Moses
Micealaya Moses marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Paneret
Paneret marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sara Chantland
Sara Chantland marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
KATY
KATY marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Donna Kilgore
Donna Kilgore marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Leannr
Leannr marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Noonday Friends Cat in the Mirror A Dog on Barkham Street Storm in the Night The Bully of Barkham Street