No One to Trust (Eve Duncan 4.2)

No One to Trust (Eve Duncan 4.2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  7,154 ratings  ·  120 reviews

He is the most terrifying of killers: ruthless, cunning, charismatic. And he has the means to get whatever he wants. And what Rico Chavez wants most is Elena Kyler--and he wants her dead. Trained as an assassin, Elena didn’t need anyone to survive. But now she finds herself on the run from one dangerous man and turning for help to another.

Sean Galen was a man without illus...more
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about No One to Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One to Trust

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
449th out of 1,283 books — 1,613 voters
What Doesn't Kill You by Iris JohansenEve by Iris JohansenFirestorm by Iris JohansenAnd Then You Die by Iris JohansenBlind Alley by Iris Johansen
The Best Of Iris Johansen
12th out of 21 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

No One to Trust was surprisingly good. I was a little worried about giving Johansen a second chance after having most of my alarms set off when I read the The Killing Game. This book, while set in the same universe, was so much better in so many ways.

For starters the female lead was incredibly likable in a way Eve perhaps wasn’t. The way Elena grew up hardened her. She was not a female lead to pity but one to admire. I was fascinated by how strong she was. She was kick ass in...more
Deirdre
Aug 24, 2007 Deirdre rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who is bored
this is a great book if you are bored or traveling or in jail.
Melissa
Iris Johansen was brought to my attention by my aunt and while this has been the only book I've read by her, I have to say, it was pretty good. Her characters are all solid and well fleshed-out. Elena is one tough chick and I found her interactions with the various characters, particularly with her son, very real and well-written. She obviously has some tough past issues to get through and the way the story was written was done really well, in that I believed this could actually happen in real-l...more
Kristen
This spinoff from the earlier Eve Duncan series highlighted a new tale of danger and intrigue. Elena Kyler's life was in danger from an abusive man who was her child's father. Although Elena's a trained assassin, she required Sean Galen's help in the midst of desperation to escape from him. She didn't want her child to live in his father's dangerous world. Together Sean and Elena with her child flee from his clutches, while they watch him self-destruct with murder in their waking path. Her form...more
Kairee
ugh.ugh. uuuuughhhh. Maybe it's just me (since this book received a high rating on here), but it was horrible. Just. Horrible.

One reviewer who also rated a 1 star:
this is a great book if you are bored or traveling or in jail.

EXACTLY!!! Only take out the bored and the traveling.

I didn't feel the characters were relatable and the conversations were not something I felt moved the story forward.

I listened to the whole thing on audio tape and only finished it because I didn't have another on stand...more
Samantha
Aug 05, 2007 Samantha rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Formulaic Fiction
This book was one I had gotten from a collection of "Free to a Good Home" books. Now I know why this one, in particular, was given away. It's absolutely awful.

I knew how the book would end halfway through. The heroine and her dashing hero (ick!) are so predictable and cookie cutter it's dreadful. What was supposed to be suspenseful was nothing more than yawn-inducing drivel.

I took this book with me on a business trip and only picked it up each night because I didn't have anything else to fall ba...more
Krowe
Chester Carstairs
This is my second Iris Johansen book and my rating may be a little biased because I liked Galen since the first time I've read about him in Johansen's The Final Target. It's nice to actually get his POV and get an in-depth look at his character. The plot and pace of the story is good. It has suspense, action, and romance. I couldn't quite put it down. It's a light but entertaining read. :)
Kaycee Sapinoso
No One To Trust was an okay read. The heroine, Elena, was likable and fascinating. She's a kick ass heroine. And I like that even though she's a fighter and strong woman she wasn't afraid to ask for help whenever she needed it.

I liked Sean. He was a very interesting character. I admired him for respecting Elena as a woman and as a mother. It was not surprising for me by how easily he developed feelings for her. And I loved him for wanting to take care of her. Such a sweet see guy.

The thing tha...more
Charly
Jun 11, 2009 Charly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good thriller that has one engrossed from the start until the finish. While one has an idea where it will end the path taken to get there is most entertaining.
Tony
Iris Johansen- No One To Trust (Bantam Books 2002) 3.5 Stars

Elena Kyler wishes only to protect her son and Sean Galen has been hired to assist her. Rico Chavez wants his son, the son that he never knew existed, but more than that he wants Elena Kyler. She had escaped his grasp once. Can she escape his grasp forever?
Iris Johansen is a talented female author with a knack for writing thrillers. She created believable characters that you couldn’t help but like, although I would have liked to see a...more
Cathy Smith
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This was an interesting book, but predictible. I was hoping for some surprises, etc., but you could tell what was going to be happening next. I would rather have the element of difference within a story. It was well-written and had a good plot. But to keep dwelling on certain areas (how they felt about each other, how no one cared for her son but herself) seemed repetitive. Overall, it was a good read.
Kerry
I am reading the Eve Duncan series but was becoming a bit bored with the same general plot book after book. This was refreshing and restored my interest in the series. Johansen is building characters in each book and is slowly weaving them all together. You often get a light bulb moment when you see a new character fit into the past story lines and you also start thinking ahead as to where these characters will play in the next book. Good job…
Josette
I read this book because I had just finished another one and needed something short and fun to read. I guess it fulfilled my needs at the time, but I did not especially enjoy the book, with its brutal portrayal of human nature and the desire for power and money mixed with familial betrayal. The story begins with the main character (whose name I can't remember) who is on the run from the father of her 4-year-old son. The father, who also runs his own Latin American country, is the villain through...more
Diane
kerry is a mercanary rebel and is fighting chavez, the 3rd world countries leader. he has raped, beat and pregnanted her and now she is determined to keep thei 5 year old son away from chavez. she gets help from another mercanary and falls in love but not before they face many battles and challenges to get and keep her son safe. easy read. really starting to like jahansen.
Justin
This book started off slow. I have never read anything from this author before but the end was pretty good. I feel that there were some holes in the plot, but as with other reviewers of this book, that seems to be common. But, if you like a little adventure, check this out, it was a short read and I would recommend as a good start if you have never read anything by Iris.
Bob
Rico Chavez is a ruthless drug Columbian kingpin, Elena Kyler is the daughter of a rebel leader who has grown up with the rebel forces and learned the "trade" but when the rebel band began to take funds from Chavez, she was "sold" to him. She managed to escape but was caught and held in a local jail till Chavez could pick her up. She managed to escape again and was on the way to meet with a agent from the US who she bargained with to get her out of the country saying she had a way of getting Cha...more
Cathie
This is the 5th book in the Eve Duncan series tho Eve & Quinn are not in the book at all. It centers around Sean Galen who (I believe) was introduced in The Search. A quick & uncomplicated story but perfect for summer reading.
Heather
Fantastic book again from Iris!

I loved the story of Galen and Elena. Very entertaining and well written. Can't wait to read the next book.
Kim Johnson
Good read

enjoy that it draws you in, that it pulls in people from past stories. keeps you wanting to read to the end.
Karen Brown
This one was better; Sean Galen, Elena, son Barry, drug lord Chavez
Jackie
A tale of courage in the face of unspeakable evil, plus a dash of romance!
Ann-marie Yeates
Enjoyable read. Love the heroine's strength and vulnerability.
Katherine
Although part of the Eve Duncan series, this book is focused on Sean Galen, a lesser character in the previous books. Since I found Galen's limited appearances very interesting in the those books, it was a treat to see him as the feature character. Part of his back story is revealed and it is obvious that he is less than a sterling character, but a great anti-hero. He's not the only character who falls into the grey area between good guys and bad guys, which adds to the plot line. No One to Trus...more
Lorisa
Quick easy read.
Kathy
Swift acting and unpredictable kept me wanting to continue reading.
Jeymei
Not one of her best
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
I read this back when I classified myself as a kid. It was cool then; I have fond memories. Judging the book on that.
Angela
I am a huge Iris Johansen fan, however I only have read the Eve Duncan books so it was good to read a stand alone book by her. In this book there's the trust between parent and child, the trust between a man and woman, trust between friends, and of course the flip side of trust -betrayal. These themes are juggled and twisted until even the reader doesn't know whom they can trust besides Galen and Elena.
Sue
While this is considered part of the Eve Duncan series, the only Eve in this book is Quinn's lake house. That being said, some familiar characters take center stage. Mainly Sean Galen, the mercenary seen in the last couple of books. I like Galen so it was great to learn more about him. This story was a fast paced suspenseful tale about the lengths a mother might go to protect her child.
Eve Duncan 8 25 Jan 23, 2012 04:33PM
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Final Scream
  • Dark Paradise
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera #3)
  • The Color of Death
Johansen began writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great success. She had seventeen consecutive New York Times b...more
More about Iris Johansen...
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)