Start by marking “The Purchased Wife” as Want to Read:
The Purchased Wife

The Purchased Wife (Foreign Affairs)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  497 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2470, 184 pages
Published June 2005 by Harlequin (first published March 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Purchased Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purchased Wife

The Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamBond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamGold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Trophy Husband by Lynne GrahamTempestuous Reunion by Lynne Graham
My Fave Harlequins
23rd out of 528 books — 155 voters
Gold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Ultimate Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Price of a Bride by Michelle ReidBond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamThe Unfaithful Wife by Lynne Graham
Angsty, Tear Jerker Harlequins
80th out of 135 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacqueline
This one was nice. There was plenty of POV from the hero so you knew all along that he loved her and felt guilty about marrying her so young and forcing her to do this or that. Lots of angst on his part. In fact you really knew the hero much better than the heroine. The biggest problem I had with it was the hero kept threatening to kill the heroine if she ever slept with another man or even let one see her naked or what have you. That's just not right. Sure threaten to kill the other man, I'm be ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Book Overview: Xander Pascalis can buy anything...including a wife! At millions of dollars, Helen is lavishly expensive. But Xander thinks he knows a good deal when he sees one....
However, when Helen refuses to share his bed, Xander is forced to take his headstrong wife to his private Greek island to tame her into keeping her marriage vows. He wants value for money: she will give him the wedding night that, so far, she's denied him....

Another story about the consequences of miscommunication. If
Mo
Apr 28, 2016 Mo rated it liked it
While there were moments the H was extra harsh and controlling, you could always tell it was because of his fear of losing the h. And you could always tell how strongly he loved her.

One thing that bugs me is (view spoiler)
KatieV
I should have loved this, but I spent so much time hating the hero and not in a "fun way". But MR kept me reading as usual and I was emotionally involved, so that's worth 3 stars. Maybe even more. I'm just mad (which proves I was emotionally involved)

I guess I couldn't get past all the death threats and his overall rough treatment of her. I can handle and even be amused by a bunch of BS from these alpha heroes, but threats of violence (or actual violence) is hard for me not to take seriously. I
Jenny
Apr 17, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Why so flawless MR? She gives me everything I want. Innocent but strong heroine, super possessive and crazy jealous alpha hero, passionate love scenes and plenty of angst! Oh and epilogue was all kinds of adorable!
sbf20112011
Mar 10, 2013 sbf20112011 rated it it was amazing
I don't think this is the best of Michelle Reid's work, but I think it's still a 5-star read compared to the bulk of the HPs out there. Very angsty reunion story. I love this kind of premise where the heroine is physically injured at the outset, forcing the hero to reveal (subtly) his feelings despite harboring whatever misconceptions he has about her. Downsides were that the hero was overly jealous (repeatedly telling the heroine he would kill her if she ever went to another man) and controllin ...more
Kay
Jan 19, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: print
Kaetrin
Oct 20, 2010 Kaetrin rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
This was a true DNF. It would have been a wallbanger except it was electronic. I picked it up after reading raves about this author's work on Dear Author - Jane is a big fan. Maybe I picked the wrong book to start (I have 2 others on my reader which I haven't been brave enough to read so far) but this "alpha hero" took a wrong turn RIGHT AT THE START OF THE BOOK into asshatville and I couldn't see him redeeming himself. Apparently there is world class grovel at the end of the book but I didn't w ...more
Jared89
Ok, so I juust finished this book today.. and what can I say? Well, for starters, I don't wanna spoil the story and neither do I wanna discourage the readers but, this book is just full of angst. Lies here and there and hatred here and there.. It pays though that the charcaters' attraction to each other is fatal.. but then, the story is kind of all over the place.. I love Michelle Reid, and she's one of my fave authors of angsty stories, but this one made me dizzy.. (sorry).. There are times I'l ...more
Ria
Xander took notice of his wife when she was caught in a vehicular accident only to find out things about her that opened his eyes. Its time to make their marriage a real one.

This MR book is absolutely in my hall of famer simply because it was well written. The emotions of both characters were so vivid that you can feel their anguish. I love the fact that Xander was so possessive that I would probably choke on it if this happens I real life. But I love it on the basis that its only fiction.
Bridie Coleman
Nov 21, 2011 Bridie Coleman rated it really liked it
Found it hard to get into this book at first and didn't particularly care for male character Xander but I really warmed to him mid way through the book and Helen was just a bit wishy-washy also at the start too. But a good story and very passionate with a great setting but ending just a bit rushed.
Jan 15, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another of those "I'm in love with her, but she's too young and there was a big misunderstanding"
Why do authors keep using this trite and tried and overused template. Throw SOME sort of curveball into it. SOMETHING. ANYTHING!
PLEASE!
Baseballmom
Oct 07, 2014 Baseballmom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One intense alpha male.... d:)

First things first, he didn't cheat! The H was older and lived hard/loved hard, the h young and inexperienced, The H had intense feelings for the h but he didn't really know how to "dial it down", so his solution was to remove himself, when he should have been there. Naturally, the h took this as rejection. now throw in a heap of jealousy, lots of angst, accusations of cheating on both sides, secrets and a bunch of family drama, and you have the makings for an inten
Ker
Aug 10, 2012 Ker rated it it was amazing

Liiiiiinda aunque Xander es un mandón. Obvio... Es griego xD
KC
Michelle Reid has done it again...and used the secrets trope. The author is apparently a fan of this device, but I'm not. It's difficult to rally behind characters who deliberately misled (Helen) or withheld information (Xander) from their partner, particularly when doing so damaged their relationship. They each had their own reasons for doing so. But it got old really fast because it made Helen seem petty and Xander foolish. If they had only been honest with each other. *shakes head*

Exacerbatin
Alyssa
I went into this book expecting drama and I was not disappointed. Here we have a wife, Helen, trying to leave her husband after a year of being apart. She loved Xander, but his actions before their wedding smothered her feelings. She gets into an accident trying to leave him and he shows up to take care of her. Well, in his own way.

He takes her to his private island to seduce her, ready to finally kick-start their marriage. I had a hard time liking him, because I wanted to clobber him in the he
Vanessa
Jul 17, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Su
Jun 07, 2016 Su rated it it was ok
An attempt in angst romance that didn't quite work.
Entire book and all pointless suffering that was going along were based on a wrong assumption that could be easily explained by the H. His reason for not explaining didn't make much sense.
Leyns
May 15, 2015 Leyns rated it it was ok
Shelves: mills-n-boons
One of the very few books I found I couldn't continue. The hero was awful. At the point when he arrogantly talked about sleeping with his mistress I quit reading. Disgusting.
Ana
Jan 30, 2014 Ana rated it did not like it
story was good. had potential but hero ruined it. he was too heartless, arrogant and he cared only about himself, his mom and wife were nobody in his mind and life.
Diamond
Nov 23, 2014 Diamond rated it did not like it
If the H explain who the bloody hell is Vanessa he would save the h from a lot of agony
nhf282
Dec 14, 2014 nhf282 rated it liked it
Typical plot frm michelle reid.
Bernie Morris
Jan 24, 2014 Bernie Morris rated it really liked it
Mills & Boon has definitely come a long way since the days of Barbara Cartland and, although not really my thing, I feel obliged to give it 4 stars for the quality of the erotic content.
Amyclare111
Dec 23, 2015 Amyclare111 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3.5
Nadia
Jan 23, 2015 Nadia rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what was wrong with it. May be that heroes were not logical at all. Xander is always threatening to kill Helen (where this insecurity came from?) and Helen not knowing what she want and changing her ways every 5 sec. "Kiss me! No, leave me alone!" It was just not my cup of tea.
(view spoiler) Too much unanswered questions were left to hang in the air.
Maddux
It took me forever to finish this book. I kept on only because I wanted the heroine to bust his balls.

Xander was an utter ass.
Doaa
Oct 04, 2013 Doaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best Novels of Michelle Reid

Angel
Nov 03, 2012 Angel rated it it was amazing
Such a fun romantic reading ...
Safa Shalabi
Safa Shalabi rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
  • Untouched Until Marriage
  • Intangible Dream
  • His Wedding Ring of Revenge
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • The Italian's Defiant Mistress (Modern Romance)
  • Sale Or Return Bride
  • Mistress by Contract
  • The Sheikh's Impatient Virgin
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...

Foreign Affairs (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Permata Di Tarika Bay (The Temptress of Tarika Bay)
  • Kekasih Sang Bangsawan Prancis / The French Count's Mistress
  • Italian Marriage: In Name Only
  • Kekasih Sang Miliuner Spanyol / The Spaniard's Woman
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • The Rodrigues Pregnancy
  • The Passion Bargain (Foreign Affairs)
  • Mistress of Convenience
  • In the Italian's Bed
  • The Mistress Wife

“In a second or two he would get up and join her in the shower he could hear running--consolidate his place with some very passionate seed-sowing and at the same time he would make Nell fall in love with him again.” 1 likes