Start by marking “Evernight (Evernight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evernight (Evernight, #1)

Evernight (Evernight #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  53,098 ratings  ·  2,703 reviews
Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the...more
Paperback, 1 Reprint Edition, 327 pages
Published February 10th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Evernight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evernight

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
69th out of 18,189 books — 49,030 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
8th out of 287 books — 4,092 voters

More lists with this book...

Haleema
Sorry, guys. I deleted this review because I basically explained the WHOLE damn story in it. It was back when I was a shit reviewer.

But thank you for all those who read and like it! I love you beautiful beings!
Kim
Steph (Reviewer X)
Feb 25, 2009 Steph (Reviewer X) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Rant: Every professional review of this book somehow mentions Stephenie Meyer and/or the Twilight series. Is it just me, or does that annoy anyone else seven ways to Sunday? I get that people want to allude to some of the bestselling series of vampire books ever, but saying "enjoyable (...) for fans of that other vampire series who need something to read while they wait for Breaking Dawn (Meyer, 2008)" (Kirkus) is downright insulting, as it implies that Evernight is no better than a placeholder....more
Jane
Nov 24, 2008 Jane rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who will give up good writing for some vampire sex and a gothy feel.
Kat Kennedy
Pretty much, I think this rating is going to come as a massive shock to... well, anyone who's ever read a review from me before.

The thing is, Evernight really isn't that bad. In fact, as far as sappy YA paranormal books go, it's not THAT bad.

I don't actually know what to do with myself. I kind of expected a REALLY painful and agonizing reading experience before I came on GR and vomitted vitriol into everyone's faces. I guess you're all spared of that... for now! *Cue evil laugh*

Evernight is the...more
Clare D' Lune
I didn't like this book for a few reasons, but the biggest one is probably that it was so...weird. In a bad way. I mean, like they go through half the book and they make her out like she doesn't know anything about what’s happening at the school, and then BANG, all of a sudden, well she knows everything, and had all the time... its just weird. Plus I thought her character was poorly made. First she's all shy and stuff, but then she's like not, and then she is, and so on. And she meets Lucas ONCE...more
Cassie
Oct 16, 2008 Cassie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cassie by: ARC
J.D. Stroube
I was surpised to realize that I completely enjoyed myself with this book. It is somewhat of a Romeo & Juliet story of star-crossed lovers whose families are enemies, but with vampires.

The characters are sweet, secretive, and charming at the same time. I loved Lucas throughout the entirety of the book, while it took me a little while to adjust to Bianca. However, once I did I felt that the pairing of these two characters was meant to be!

I ended up being surprised twice during this book, whi...more
Mel
Feb 20, 2011 Mel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Twitards, girls who love unrealistic and overly romantic love interests
Evernight is set in a very Vampire Knight setting, and is about a girl who is secretly a vampire (yeah right) who falls in love with a boring, uninteresting, controlling Romeo-wannabe and that's it.

Yes, that's it. There is no plot other than that.

This book managed to meet all of my expectations: It blew.

Now some of you may ask me why I bothered reading a book that I knew I wouldn’t like, right? Well the answer is simple: I’m a masochist. I’m somebody who faps over how terrible books are, and...more
Deborah Markus
Holy. Freakin'. COW.

I've been enjoying the reading I'm doing as research for the agents I'd like to query about my own novel. I liked this book more than most from the beginning. It hooked me right in. But it was just a pleasant read, one I was going to give a resounding thumbs-up on Goodreads and then get on with my life.

And then I got about halfway through.

I've read good YA novels. I've read fun paranormal works. And I've read some great surprise endings (the twist in the last Hunger Games nov...more
The first words that come to mind are dumb & instalove. I've read worse (really, I have -- just recently, in fact :P). But I've read better. So...there you go.

Part of the problem is how everyone talks & acts like they're 7 instead of 17 (or 19, in other cases). The romance is schmoopy-lovey-dovey-eyes for no good reason other than the fact that it's instalove, & therefore everyone should be on board with Bianca & Lucas as a central pairing. Alas, Bianca & Lucas are personali...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Damn but I hated this series. I found it completely ridiculous! I couldn't even finish the second book!

For god's sake the plot is boring, the characters idiotic and the heroine... I want to kill the heroine!

Bianca is actually a baby, and I don't mean the fact that she is 16, I mean that she is a naive, whiny, scared little girl who makes one bad decision after another!

We also have the "admirers".

Bachelor No1, "Lucas"... Lucas thinks himself a protector! Oh, but he is gorgeous! My cousin is go...more
Sarah M
I enjoyed this!

I have seen this around the book store a couple times, but didnt really think anything of it. Then one day my mom saw the newest one in the series, and said "Sarah this one look good". Of course I knew that there where three more ahead of that one so I went and picked it up. Glad I did.

For me there where 3 twists in this book. The two that happened at once, the third later on. I was pretty shocked actually. I did suspect the vampire thing though. Bianca is likeable, I didn't mind...more
Joyzi
Oct 25, 2010 Joyzi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind rip-offs
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
What I like:
>The book has vampires and vampire hunters in it.
>The book has an interesting love triangle.
>I love Lucas.
>It wasn't boring and a nice quick read.
>Truth is it's hard to put the book down.
>I love that the story has twists in it.

What I don't like:
>Lacks originality, the plot is a mix of Twilight (average girl goes to new school, falls for hot, mysterious guy) and Vampire Knight (love story between a vampire and a vampire hunter).
>Cheesy dialogues that made me wa...more
Carolina Riojas
"How to start?
ILOOOOVETHIIIS BOOK! In the page number 15 i couldn't get my eyes and my head out of it! It is just incredible i love all the characters that are in it, they all have a great personality, i felt in love with Lucas as fast i felt in love with the book, don't you even dare to compare this book with "twilight" this is 100000- times better, it has everything to be the perfect book and more, if you haven't read it YOU HAVE TO!
This book is one of my favorites books and with every book...more
Wendy F
I just can't give it one star, though I really didn't like it. One star ratings are for books that made me want to pluck out my eyeballs. I didn't want to do that, but only by a little.

This book was so stupid. It was just stupid. The world, the ideas, the vampires... just stupid. The only thing that even remotely made it interesting was Lucas and the bit he brought into it. Still, even the Black Crosses weren't enough to save this one for me.

I took notes as I was reading. There were many times...more
Buggy
Opening Line: “It was the first day of school, which meant it was my last chance to escape.”

This had been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years. I guess I bought it during the whole Twilight/vampire craze, I don’t remember. Anyways I finally got around to reading it and it took me ages to get through although I can’t quite put my finger on why? Could be that I’m just done with this type of story, you know teens and angst and high school drama with a side of vampires, plus this was just m...more
Kimberly Derting
Maybe I'm the only one who didn't see that there was a twist coming, but *holy cow* when it happened, I was completely floored! EVERNIGHT = WIN!!! I can't wait to get my hands on STARGAZER!
Yani
Aviso : la reseña tiene un spoiler (no es grave, pero es spoiler al fin) que oculté debidamente.

Encontré pocas cosas que me gustaron de este libro, pero son lo suficientemente buenas (desde mi perspectiva, claro está) como para que no pasara a integrar mi lista negra de una sola estrella. Es un 2.5 que no quise redondear hacia arriba porque he leído inicios de series mejores. Una equiparación hubiera sido algo injusta.

Bianca es una chica de dieciséis años a la que se le ocurre fugarse de la es...more
kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, 2010
Surprisingly, I really enoyed this book. It was almost on the edge of eyerolling, but was rescued just in time.
Bianca, an awkward, shy young teenage girl, begins the year at a new school where she meets Lucas, a mysterious boy with bronze hair that warns her away from him while yet another dark haired and muscular boy, Balthazar, whom she thinks of as only a friend, is also interested in her. Sound vaguely familiar?
Bianca spends too much time thinking about Lucas, almost to where I was starting...more
Margaret Stohl
Compulsively readable. Like, went to go buy the next book that night but they didn't have it at Dolly's...Will drive into SLC tomorrow for the sequel. Is that so wrong?
Gabrielly
I've known this book existed for a very long time but never actually had the urge to read it. I guess the covers never caught my attention and I never bothered to read the synopsis, so when the Love is All Around challenge started I decided to give it a go because hey it's red haha.

So the story follows Bianca when she first starts Evernight academy with her parents as professors. She soon meets her other classmates who are full of themselves except for a few, the ones that made this story actual...more
~Tina~
::SPOILER ALERT::

Before anything else, I'm just going to get this part out of the way...

So I'm reading this book, and for awhile there I was wondering why it had so many bad reviews? I was having a lot of fun with the world, the characters and the charming love story.

Then...chapter 8 happened!

Seven chapters into this story, we view Bianca as a shy 16 year old kid. She's mad at her parents for bring her to Evernight, a bordering school that her parents will be teaching at. She doesn't think she b...more
R.j.
if you have any interest in contemporary YA fantasy and particularly if you're into vampires (which I myself am not, so take that as evidence that this book is a great read), you need to check out Claudia Gray's Evernight (HarperTeen, May 2008).

I already knew that Claudia was an excellent writer from reading some of her short stories, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed her rich and vivid but never overblown narrative style; I also expected the plot would be complex yet readily comprehensible a...more
Annalisa
Jan 25, 2010 Annalisa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Gray starts out luring readers into believing they are reading a Twilight replica: the bronze-haired boy with chiseled features (yes, she uses the word the words bronze and chiseled) who is way too fast to be normal and such uncanny perception that maybe he can read minds. Then there's the unpretty, unsure-of-herself girl protagonist with her copy of Wuthering Heights that is shy and out of place in her new school and confused about these strange students who don't seem to eat and are way too be...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sixteen-year-old Bianca Olivier is the only daughter of two teachers who have decided that to help Bianca overcome her shyness and become more involved in the world, they are sending her to Evernight Academy, an isolated boarding school. She's not going alone though: both her parents get teaching jobs at the school, but Bianca hates it as soon as she sees it. With its huge towers, gargoyles and Gothic architecture, the old school intimidates her as much as the principal, Mrs Bethany, does.

On the...more
Melissa
Jan 11, 2009 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who liked Twilight
I read this for two reasons: because I teach literacy to adolescents, and because Robin's coworker wrote it. So don't even bother to read this review unless you like teen vampire novels. If you DO, then I am pleased to report that I really enjoyed this book! In the story, Bianca Olivier is a teenage girl whose parents have insisted that they all move to a creepy boarding school called Evernight. Her parents will teach there, and she will attend as a student. Bianca hates the school from the star...more
Heather
I really enjoyed the first half of Evernight. I sympathized with Bianca and had a bit of a crush on Lucas. I thought Vic was absolutely hilarious and Balthazar was simply dreamy. But then I discovered that insane plot twist. It was just nonsensical. Why in the world would Bianca not think she was going to be a vampire when she drank blood for crying out loud? The twist would have been fantastic if her parents hadn't told her that it would happen and it was just as much of surprise to her as it w...more
Miss Clark
Mishma Nixon
Evernight is a book that took a place in my wishlist as soon as I discovered it.I was in my 'vampire obsession phase' then,(don't blame me,I was just 11)so it was like finding the holy grail for me at that time.

You may wonder why it took me this long to read this book finally.The reviews,that's what made me hesitate.When I first joined Goodreads,Evernight was the first book I explored about.I was so excited to read it,but all the negative reviews kind of made me lose my interest.

So after probabl...more
Can't wait to read this book! 4 15 Aug 04, 2014 03:38AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Evernight series - Claudia Gray Restarting April 7th 2014 184 73 Apr 05, 2014 06:51PM
Bianca is a vampire?! 62 208 Dec 29, 2013 04:26AM
Horror? 10 24 Aug 22, 2013 12:59PM
If a movie was made, what actors should be chosen ? 8 37 Jul 10, 2013 07:49PM
Did anyone else feel a little left out? 19 48 Jun 17, 2013 02:04PM
  • Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • Bloodlust & Initiation (Vampire Beach, #1-2)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4)
  • Tantalize (Tantalize, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • Need (Need, #1)
1192311
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual...more
More about Claudia Gray...
Stargazer (Evernight, #2) Hourglass (Evernight, #3) Afterlife (Evernight, #4) Fateful Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

6 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It’s funny—when people call you “shy,” they usually smile. Like it’s cute, some funny little habit you’ll
grow out of when you’re older, like the gaps in your grin when your baby teeth fall out. If they knew
how it felt—really being shy, not just unsure at first—they wouldn’t smile. Not if they knew how the
feeling knots up your stomach or makes your palms sweat or robs you of the ability to say anything that
makes sense. It’s not cute at all.”
421 likes
“Self-knowledge is better than self-control any day," Raquel said firmly. "And I know myself well enough to know how I act around cookies.” 399 likes