Start by marking “Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life” as Want to Read:
Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life

Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life

This thoroughly revised and expanded edition of Rebecca Manley Pippert's evangelism classic now contains new chapters on the stages of evangelism, new stories of God's work in people's lives and added material on meeting the challenges of new competitors to the Christian faith.
Published August 1st 1999 by InterVarsity Press (first published July 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Saltshaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Saltshaker

Oct 18, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous book that will change a Christian's view of witnessing to Christ - unfortunately in today's culture, the word "evangelism" has become a scary word - to both Christians and non-believers alike...for Christians due to fear of rejection or fear of inadequacy and for non-believers because of what they have heard from TV or what our post-modern culture has told them. Ironically, many adults who today reject Christianity (“I blindly accepted it as a child”) now “blindly” reject it as an adu ...more
Aug 29, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pippert pulled off the remarkable feat of making a shy introvert like me not only want to share my faith, but actually believe that I can do it. Her real-life examples are incredibly beautiful and inspiring, and shatter the stereotype of judgmental, shove-it-in-your-face evangelism. She makes her stories even more accessible by showing the progression from her first awkward attempts to the bold yet compassionate truth-speaking she now employs. And of course, she shows how God guided every conver ...more
Feb 19, 2010 William is currently reading it
The book has been very inspiring to look around and see what God is already doing around us. We are also going through the Experiencing God study on Wed. nights at church and it also deals some of the same issues. Look around you and see where God is working...that is your invitation to join Him in His work. Out of the Salt Shaker really brings out the importance of showing people they are NOT a project. You should truely care about them and try to see what God is doing in their lives so you can ...more
May 30, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
Great book on evangelism from a women who walks the walk. My thoughts on witnessing to others changed dramatically after reading this book.

She talks about how to be genuine, to live a life set apart, to impart grace to others through prayer and friendship. To not give up or feel defeated because your hard work doesn't pay off before your very eyes.

One thing that stands out is the serious nature of being a Christian evangelist, the truth is the truth, no neutrality, know the Bible and well, unde
May 16, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
I would rate this book among the most inspiring I have read in the past ten years, or more. Becky Pippert is so down to earth honest about herself, and natural about speaking about her faith with others. Her book is shot through with a genuine love for people, rather than considering them as evangelism fodder. If you want to get over your hang ups about evangelism, or help your church get over them, or if you want to understand what the Christian faith is about, then read this book. And if you j ...more
May 03, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a little bit of encouragement in sharing Jesus
Shelves: evangelism
This book is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to be able to talk to others about their faith, but don't know how. Pippert is amazing in her ability to communicate, and encourage. I recommend this to anyone who is encouraged by a good story and also is served by seeing the overarching concepts.

It is not a "how-to" book, though you will come away with a better idea of how to talk about being a Christian in ways that aren't weird. And I appreciate that.
Anna Salahub
Jul 30, 2014 Anna Salahub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely brilliant book about the nature of evangelizing people. It talks about the ways you could do it, but primarily about the heart of a person who shares the Good News. It's not just to beat people over with it, but it's about loving the people, being present in their life, hearing their story and helping them to find the way to God.

It's a good book for those who find it intimidating, difficult or unnecessary to share the Gospel.
Nov 17, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, practical book on sharing your faith. I loved the main premise of the book: don't get caught up in learning evangelical "methods, rather just learn more about who Jesus is. When I learn more about Him, I will fall more in love with him, and sharing my faith will just become natural.

The doesn't include a lot of scriptural references but focuses more on Pippert's experiences. Nonetheless, this book is absolutely based on the Gospel.
Álex Oliva Silva
Oct 06, 2016 Álex Oliva Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Álex by: Marcos González
Buenísimo. Muy práctico, directo, honesto y atingente a la realidad del cristianismo de esta época.

Es difícil reseñar el libro sin recurrir al Sermón del Monte, la gran comisión o las advertencias de Ezequiel 33; aunque queda más que clara la importancia es ser plenamente conscientes (y actuar en consecuencia) de nuestra condición de ser "embajadores" del Reino de Dios sin apartarnos de nuestra realidad humana, que dista años luz de alcanzar algún tipo de perfección como lo es la naturaleza de D
Jul 12, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
A classic that helped me immensely as a college student in trying to communicate about my faith. I read it through at least twice, and still use a lot of these principles today.
May 27, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Salt Shaker and into the World is one of those IVP books that InterVarsity students read in college. My sophomore year bible study leader lead us through 10 chapters during the school year, and I didn't find the book that interesting as we read it then.

On the second run, though, I realized the gem I had overlooked. OSS is insightful, thorough, and very practical. I love this line: "Christians and non-Christians have something in common: we're both uptight about evangelism." It's true.
Aug 15, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
I read the first edition years ago, 1979, Rebecca Pippert revised it and updated it in 1999. The material wand suggestions for being salt, and living Evangelism as a way of life were excellent. our group of almost twenty mostly professional young women read it as a summer read, with different leaders on the 12 studies of the 19 chapters. It was perfect for summer because chapters and examples were short enough to provide discussion and plenty of room for growth spiritually. We did notice that ag ...more
Michael Powell
Dec 28, 2015 Michael Powell rated it really liked it
Pippert write with great energy and humor and gives us the feeling as readers that witnessing should be fun and nature, and that we should do it with confident energy. This book also is extremely practical besides being motivating without negatively convicting us. Pippert causes us to want to witness.

Great and easy read.
Nov 21, 2015 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Once a year our pastor chooses a book for the congregation to read, and this was the current choice. The book is about evangelism, which is a scary topic to me. We had a small group to discuss the issues, but most of the discussion was on supplementary material rather than the book. The author, Rebecca Pippert, seems to have EVERY conversation revolve around evangelism, and that is not me, so I found much of the book difficult. I got a few ideas from the book, but overall it was not that helpful ...more
Aug 21, 2016 Luke rated it it was amazing
Excellent, inspiring book on evangelism. Great illustrations of evangelism from the authors own life
Feb 17, 2016 Klunn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the chapter 'Jesus the evangelist' and liked the following chapters descriptions of Jesus' priorities, holiness and obedience in Evangelism compared to the Pharisees' priorities, holiness and obedience. Challenging but encouraging and motivating :)
Kim Zimmerman
Apr 15, 2015 Kim Zimmerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book I have ever read on what evangelism actually is - it will change and challenge you -
Steve Savig
Mar 07, 2015 Steve Savig rated it liked it
Shelves: studies
Study with Gregg Knoll.
Aug 07, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ian by: Tamara
Shelves: popular-theology
How many times have you come across Christians who call themselves evangelists, but are merely pursuing a programme without caring about the people they're talking to or about God? Pippert lays out a lot more holistic attitude to evangelism. It is a transformed lifestyle expressing God's goodness out of the depths of our hearts. She deals well with all sorts of areas of evangelism and explaining what it truly is and what the motivation behind it is.
Feb 24, 2014 Christian rated it really liked it
Pippert is authentic, engaging and at times very funny. This is a terrific book for any Christian who is "uptight about evangelism." Though I don't agree with it on every point (for example, Pippert's near-total rejection of evangelism techniques is somewhat uninformed and unnecessary) and it is not an exhaustive guide to evangelism, the book fulfills the purpose it was intended for and provides an accessible introduction to an intimidating topic.
Bill Groce
Sep 30, 2013 Bill Groce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evangelism
I used this book as a guide for an evangelism series I taught at my church. I used her video series. I made handouts. It went over very well. Cons: It's a little dated now. Her characterization of Jesus may be a little romanticized. I don't think she takes enough consideration of the name calling, table turning, Pharisee rebuking Jesus. But otherwise, it's great!!!
Jul 26, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
i read this for book club and was not disappointed. the author gives good insight into evangelism and love for others. she also takes into account differing personalities and gifts (which is often lacking in evalgelism books). i especially found her chapter on evangelism in the post modern world interesting and valuable.
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2006
A well-written and thought-provoking book, encouraging Christians to live out their beliefs, truly being 'salt' in the world. Anecdotes and plenty of encouragement about lifestyle evangelism rather than the 'methods' adopted by so many. Mainly intended for students, but appropriate to any Christians.
Oct 06, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What struck me the most about this book was the author. She seems light years ahead if me. But she is also very gifted. Maybe this is the true difference. It's probably best not to compare myself to her, just accept that the same Spirit resides in us both, and uses us as He so desires.
Sep 06, 2008 Kay rated it it was amazing
This book which I read a very long time ago is stil an exceptional work, and the bulk of it is as applicable today as when it came out. She nails what it means to be salt and light, not as a program to expount but as a lifestyle that flows from our relationship with Christ.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 13, 2012 Crossroads Ecc rated it really liked it
Christianity Today editors' review: "Christians and non-Christians have something in common," author Rebecca Pippert noted. "We're both uptight about evangelism." Out of the Saltshaker helped generations of fearful students (and other would-be evangelists) to loosen up.
Karla Goforth Abreu
Nov 16, 2011 Karla Goforth Abreu rated it it was amazing
An exciting read on evangelism, everyone as a person who shares the Good News. This is practically a classic on the topic. Pippert shares personal experiences and practical suggestions. This is what I would consider necessary reading for any serious Christian!
Jul 07, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Fantastic book on evangelism, especially contact and relational evagelism. I have wanted to read it again but for some reason avoided it, perhaps because I'm afraid that if I get it in my head again I'll have to start practising what it says.
Nov 06, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Very informative! It was also really well written and encouraging! This lady has a natural gift of writing and also of evangelizing. Her stories are so touching! Now if I can only put this into practice......

A must read!
Feb 13, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: 1980-s
Bought this at the Haystack Convention/conference in Arkansas. one of the main influences in my decision to try a short term mission trip. Glad I did.
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Reimagining Evangelism: Inviting Friends on a Spiritual Journey
  • True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing in
  • The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
  • Evangelism in the Early Church
  • The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
  • I Once Was Lost: What Postmodern Skeptics Taught Us about Their Path to Jesus
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life

Rebecca Manley Pippert regularly speaks on spiritual renewal, evangelism and character formation for church conferences, at schools and colleges and in pastoral training seminars. Becky has written several books on evangelism and Christian living, including the best-selling Out of the Saltshaker. and the LiveGrowKnow DVD curriculum. She and her husband Dick divide their time between Belfast, North
More about Rebecca Manley Pippert...

“Whatever controls us is our lord. The person who seeks power is controlled by power. The person who seeks acceptance is controlled by acceptance. We do not control ourselves. We are controlled by the lord of our lives.” 14 likes
“Our problem in evangelism is not that we don’t have enough information—it is that we don’t know how to be ourselves. We forget we are called to be witnesses to what we have seen and know, not to what we don’t know. The key on our part is authenticity and obedience, not a doctorate in theology. We haven’t grasped that it really is OK for us to be who we are when we are with seekers, even if we don’t have all the answers to their questions or if our knowledge of Scripture is limited.” 1 likes