Blank-133x176
The Hite Report: A Nat...

Shere Hite

The Hite Report: A Nationwide Study on Female Sexuality

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A reproduction of the classic text, unavailable now for more than a decade, with a new introduction by the author. The Hite Report, first published in 1976, was a sexual revolution in six hundred pages. To answer sensitive questions dealing with the most intimate details of women's sexuality, Hite's innovation was simple: she asked women, a lot of them, everything--and pub...more
Published January 1st 1976 by Not Avail

Ronald Wise
This one was added to my collection while I was majoring in psychology at the University of Washington, and on the recommendation of my only girlfriend ever, Patty. Read the first time in 1976, while I was making a last gasp effort to convince myself that I was straight, the overall impression I got then from this book was that sex with women might be very complicated. Reading it now, after nearly 30 years of water under the bridge, the main message of the book seems to center around the individ...more
Liz
The format of the book - answers to a survey- makes it a bit tricky to get through easily. It was also sometimes hard to distinguish the comments from the commentary. And occasionally I felt the comments were becoming repetitive. But that didn't really affect how I felt about the book overall.

Otherwise it was fascinating and surprisingly eye-opening. Sadly, it seems that very little has changed in some ways, even though it was nearly forty years ago that this was written. Perhaps if everyone rea...more
Elizabeth
Rejecting the very idea of penetration as the sole definition of “real sex,” Shere Hite’s The Hite Report on Female Sexuality (1976) sought to understand how individuals regard sexual experience and the meaning it holds for them, using the clitoris as her critical lens. “Its not specifically just orgasms we are talking about here,” she wrote, “we are talking about a complete redefinition, or un-definition, of what sex is.”

What I love most about Hite's work: she uses the personal accounts of wome...more
Petra X aka Bubbles
Did anyone actually read this for statistics, in an objective, academic way? Or was it not just a very legitimate purchase of a really dirty book? (It was for me!)
Virgilio Machado
More than 35 million copies sold worldwide
Selected in 1998 as one of the one hundred key books of the twentieth century by the London Times and the World Expo.

"A frankness and directness not usually seen in print . . . Many female readers can closely identify with these intimate revelations." --Time

"The first major literary breakthrough in this field since the work of Masters and Johnson." --The Literary Guild

Thirty years ago a book by an unknown American...more
Lynley
As I was reading this I kept wondering how things have changed since the mid seventies. But I have a sneaky suspicion I wouldn't like the answer to that.

Gloria Steinem said that all women should read this book, but I would hope (???) that in 2014 a lot of women are familiar with the ideas within -- instead, I think men (especially those who like women) should read this book. And now (after a break, perhaps) I'd like to read the equivalent about men.

Hite's ideas for a better world pretty much lin...more
Carlie
Jan 31, 2007 Carlie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Married Couples, Sex Researchers, Counselers, Pastors
My husband and I have been reading this book aloud together for the past month or so, the survey format makes it kind of a slow read. I think this book is generally very insightful. The idea was, a woman put together a comprehensive sexual survey and then had thousands of American women fill it out and mail in the responses anonymously. Great plan. The flaw was in the execution. When the author gathered all the results and put them into book form in order to share her findings with the public sh...more
Joakim
Jul 05, 2014 Joakim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: {Men looking to please a lady, Women confused about sexual pleasure}
Shelves: guyism, 2014
So there's no guarantee women will get orgasms from intercourse, and most even don't know what an orgasm is to begin with. To seal the deal as a man (or woman)- foreplay, followed by tinkering with the clitosaurus..preferably by means other than cunnilingus (because they might be self-conscious about the smell/taste down there), and when everything is said, finely tuned, and done, penis serves just as an anecdote (in case of men).
Good to know.
I'm off to become a homosexual.
Victoire
After Kinsey (which I later read) Hite was touted as the leading author... indeed she is. It's all here in real detail. Makes you actually think about 'what women want' before you go barging in with your assumptions.

Curious, Disturbing (in places) and erotic (passages are written in the tellers own hand)

A good one for young men of all calibres.
Marcus Clark
About the sexuality of women. Could easily be condensed but it is definitely a landmark book --- very important in what it says. It explores women's attitudes to sex, what they do, and how they do it. Largely by getting hundreds of women to answer intimate questions about their sex life.
Oliver
This book is a bit dated but the information was very valuable. I learned a lot from this book and even in this day and age females are still not open about discussing this topic.
Stacey
I never got "the speech" from my parents. Instead my mom gave me this book when I was about 14 or so and said "read it in the dark". It was all downhill from there. :)
Jack Curtis
Absolutely fucking moronic. I'm not sure if Sherry (s)Hite knows how to corrolate data or just wanted to validate her own sexuality.
Neal Hines
Wow, I learned a lot by reading this book. A worthwhile read into the elusive world of sex from the female perspective.
Anna
Groundbreaking (back then, anyhow) in that women enjoy and need sex as much as the next guy. Oh, and we fantasize about it too!
Sally
This is still a great resource on female sexuality, largely in the words of hundreds of individual women.
Catherine Matte
Really interesting, even though it's getting old!
Linda
3.5 for this report on female sexuality in the U.S.
Andy
Eye-opening, to say the least.
Rachel
This lady covers all bases.
Shanamadele
Jun 01, 2007 Shanamadele rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, anyone who wants to have sex with women
This book changed my life.
Tommyb
Reference,Sexuality
Azalea
Azalea marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jenna Manley
Jenna Manley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Carmen Valentín
Carmen Valentín marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jaylia Wesley
Jaylia Wesley is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Olivia G.
Olivia G. marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
  • Sexual Behaviour in the Human Male
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Men In Love
  • Toward a Feminist Theory of the State
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • The Erotic Mind: Unlocking the Inner Sources of Passion and Fulfillment
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Intercourse
  • Women of the Raj
  • In Our Time: Memoir of A Revolution
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Women, Culture, and Politics
Shere Hite (born November 2, 1942, Saint Joseph, Missouri) is an American-born German[1] sex educator and feminist. Her sexological work has focused primarily on female sexuality. Hite builds upon biological studies of sex by Masters and Johnson and by Alfred Kinsey. She also references theoretical, political and psychological works associated with the feminist movement of the 1970s, such as Anne...more
More about Shere Hite...
Hite Report on Male Sexuality The Shere Hite Reader: New and Selected Writings on Sex, Globalism, and Private Life The Hite Report on the Family: Growing Up Under Patriarchy Women And Love The New Hite Report