Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)

Highland Rogue (Highland Dream #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  18 reviews
On her dream vacation in the Scottish Highlands, aspiring archaeologist Maggie Graham discovers a tri-spiral carving in the floor of an ancient cairn, and unwittingly sets its dormant magic in motion. Sent tumbling back in time 300 years, Maggie uncovers the most amazing find of all�a Scottish hero straight out of her wildest fantasies. There are just two tiny problems wit...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Berkley

Julie (jjmachshev)
I enjoyed reading Tess Mallory's time travel books. It's been several years since she's published a new one so I was thrilled to pick up "Highland Rogue", her latest and (I hope) the start of a new series.

Maggie is finally going to live her dream. She's been accepted as a worker bee on an archaeological dig IN SCOTLAND! When the dig leader offers to show her an ogham, she accompanies him to an ancient cairn where she actually trips over what turns out to be a stunning find...a huge carving in t...more
Bookaholics

Highland Rogue by Tess Mallory
Paranormal Romance Paperback - May 6, 2008
4 Stars

Maggie Graham has placed her life on hold to care for her twin sisters after the death of her parents. Now that the girls are adults and on their own, she is ready to pick-up her life where she left off, traveling the world and making fantastic discoveries as an archeologist.

Wanting to encourage her dream, her sisters and best friend purchase a trip to Scotland to assist with the excavation of a newly discovered c...more
Sandy M
I always enjoy a good time travel, and Highland Rogue is a good one. It starts a little slow before getting down to the nitty gritty, but once there we get some great action, an involved storyline, and the characters are interesting and true to themselves throughout the book.

In the beginning a little too much time is taken, for me, in getting to the traveling part of the story. We learn about Maggie and her sisters, how they lost their parents and how she had to leave her dreams behind to raise...more
Nora Ellen (The Bookery)
To be honest, I really didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. To be completely honest, I really didn't like it at all. That's incredibly rare for me, especially because I went out and bought this book.

The story is along the basic time travel highlander lines; girl goes to Scotland and finds a way to get whisked back in time to 16th century cotland where she stumbles onto the path of a rogue highlander. In this book, Maggie goes on her dream vacation to Scotland on an archeological d...more
Crystal
Hmmm... Ok, it seems that there was more time allotted for Ian's rescue than the H/h's relationship. Also seemed rushed in that she's declaring her love for him within a few days of meeting him.

Editing issue: there was a scene where the H was in bed, the h laid down on top of the covers, a discussion ensued where the H got up and walked around. The h wraps her arms around him, paces some herself, then asks if he's wearing anything under there. Before he can answer, she runs her hands under the c...more
L.W.
This was a surprise as I had such high expectations. This is a time travel book where the heroine goes back into the past. In several other books of this nature, it's done well, and the story is usually interesting enough to keep my interest.

This one...not so much.

There is a plot, but you have to really dig for it around all the illicit sex that went on. I'm not adverse to a steamy scene, but it seems there was more of that in this book than substance.

When all was said and done...the female char...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
With time-travel romances, you have to be really careful. this was such a disappointment. It was stupid and annoying. I like that the hero ended up in the twenty-first century. but the book itself, while it had its moments, the book was not that well-put together. There was very little in the way of interaction with any other characters in the past until towards the end, and then they moved to the year 2008, and then they went back and (spoiler alert) faked his death, then it was done. It's a sh...more
Mary
Time travel. Okay, but too much inconsistancy, ends with American marrying time-traveling Scot in present day, is there no legal document necessary for this? Just one of many problems blipped over by author.
Also don't like stuffed animals for an adult woman, or having her described as "spunky." Plus, main character finishes her degree before taking on her two younger 11-yr-old sisters who are now 21. Character now gives her age as 23, so she graduated college & provided for her sisters at 13...more
Readitnweep
This is another book I really enjoyed. Quinn MacIntyre is a highway man who comes across and accidental time traveler, Maggie Graham. While the story has very obvious Outlander shades to it, I really liked the characters.

I do confess the ending wasn't my favorite, and I found a couple of things distracting or not well enough delved into, such as Quinn's journey mid-way through the book, though the characters are well crafted.
Gypsie Holley
Jun 29, 2008 Gypsie Holley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the lovers of a timeless romance.
A wonderful story and can I be Maggie?? please..This is so much how I think and it read like I am going to be her when I go to Scotland. Everything she thought and believed in was like a book I have written of my own life to happen in the future. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and look forward to read more from this author. Oh where are you, my Highland warrior to sweep me from my feet and call me lass....
Janet
Sometimes you just need a light-hearted and fun fluffy romance (seems like I'm needing them more than not lately!). This certainly was what I needed after spending a grueling month in Spanish I and II and not fairing so well grade-wise. Who the heck needs to know how to speak Spanish when you can time travel time to the Scotlish Highlands; right? :-)
Mary
I liked this Scottish time travel book. Quinn and Maggie seemed like interesting characters. There was apparently a lot of hanky panky in the bedroom (and haystack)going on back 300 years ago. I'm sure the two sisters will have their own books. The characters seem believable. It's funny when Quinn tries to adapt to Maggie's world.
Erica
I really liked this story, I loved the time travel in this novel as there was mostly past but with a bit of future. The characters we simple but interesting. Enjoyable read, Its more a novel to read when you want to just lay back and read.
Shyloh
I loved this book, but then again I love all Tess Mallory's books. Quinn is an amazing hunky hero & Maggie was a great heroine who did not have one too stupid to live moment.

Can't wait for her next book.
Stacie
Nov 01, 2008 Stacie added it
This is a time travel story about a woman on vacation in Scotland. She time travels to 1711 and meets a masked bandit called the Piper.
Brittany
I just thought this book was ok.... The first couple of books on the series were better. This one was kind of hard to get into.
Nikel27
Tara
Tara added it
Jul 29, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Gale Amparan
Gale Amparan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Angel Chosa
Angel Chosa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Keeley Krajewski
Keeley Krajewski marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kristy Elledge
Kristy Elledge marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • A Highlander's Homecoming (Daughters of the Glen, #6)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Highland Knight
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Highland Stone
  • The Outlaw Viking (Viking I, #2)
Tess Mallory still believes in fairies, so she strives to make her books as magical as possible, filled with romance, humor, history, fun, and fantasy. Her life has been pretty magical, too. Not perfect, but truly blessed. She's a breast cancer survivor married to a guy so understanding, his name should be in lights, their three children love her in spite of the dragon shirts she loves to wear, an...more
More about Tess Mallory...
Highland Dream (Highland Dream, #1) Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2) Highland Rebel (Highland Dream, #5) Circles in Time Highland Magic (Highland Dream, #3)