Start by marking “Mark It with a Stone” as Want to Read:
Mark It with a Stone

Mark It with a Stone

The year was 1939. Twelve-year-old Joseph Horn was set to start school--but he never made it. Instead, he began an odyssey through one of the most barbarous atrocities in the history of mankind: the Holocaust. Horn survived Auschwitz. He survived Bergen-Belsen. Now, he says, "it is time for me to leave a record of the crimes I have seen".
Published January 1st 1996 by Barricade Books

To ask other readers questions about Mark It with a Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark It with a Stone

Gabriel Valjan
Mar 28, 2014 Gabriel Valjan rated it it was amazing
This is a book that you wish didn’t exist, but are grateful that it does. Other reviewers have covered the premise of the book: a young man’s horrific first-hand account of surviving the Holocaust. Any words that attempt to describe the magnitude of systematic genocide will simply fail. Mr. Horn, while telling his story, doesn’t fall into the self-pity of victimhood or crushing pathos. There is nothing sentimental here. He tells you what got him through it all: small acts of kindness, a shared ...more
Nikki
Apr 28, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way the book was written was simple and truthful. There weren't many fancy flares that marks fiction, but a more honest and straightforward writing. It was compelling and horrifying and touching. The author was mindful of the audience and leaves us with, what I believe is, a feeling of hope for the future and a wish for such inhumane tragedies to never happen again.

I would recommend this book in even less than less of a heartbeat.
Alyssa Allen
Mar 19, 2015 Alyssa Allen rated it it was amazing
As a huge WWII history buff, this book was one of my favorites. It is AMAZING! It just makes you FEEL. It evokes emotions that you don't feel on a day-to-day basis. The whole circumstances surrounding the holocaust are so sad, but so inspiring by the people that suffered through it. Very well written and again... one of my all-time favorite WWII books!
Ben Gerst
Nov 01, 2013 Ben Gerst rated it really liked it
Mark it with a Stone was an amazing book! I loved all the action and excitement it had. After I put it down I wanted to pick up again! It's hard to understand if you're not Jewish but it was still a great book. I've never read about such an epic holocaust story. It was a great action packed book.
Jill
May 25, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a co-worker. His Father in law wrote the book. I could not put it down, and was continually amazed by the endurance of the human spirit.
Christine Reilly
Christine Reilly rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Gabi
Dec 01, 2016 Gabi rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be one of the most interesting Holocaust novels I have ever read. The emotional and intense experience the author undergoes shows the true meaning of what it meant and what it was like to go the Holocaust. Horn does not hold back on his experiences making the novel extremely emotional, gruesome, unbelievable, but very interesting. If you are interested in learning the ways Jews coped and what they underwent during the Holocaust, this is a great book to read.
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Nephthys
Nephthys rated it liked it
May 29, 2012
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2009
Shannon Walker
Shannon Walker rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Leora Leora
Leora Leora rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Dave Stewart
Dave Stewart rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Cindy Doninger
Cindy Doninger rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2008
Arianna Thacker
Arianna Thacker rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2009
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2011
Anahi
Anahi marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Brenda Ortega
Brenda Ortega marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Samantha Shank
Samantha Shank marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Laurie P
Laurie P marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Yaboofive
Yaboofive marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Melissa Arps
Melissa Arps marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Bethel
Bethel marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Dipanjan
Dipanjan marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2016
Jessica Sachs
Jessica Sachs marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2016