The Divine Wind

The Divine Wind

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  20 reviews
On the eve of World War II, Hart, an Australian boy, and Mitsy, a Japanese-Australian girl, fall in love but are driven apart.
Hardcover
Published by Hodder Headline Australia (first published 1998)

Kate
Argh! I really wish my school would pick some decent books for us poor students to read! I am an absolute book nerd, and I think I can appreciate a wide range of genres, but this was painful.
I read it in a day - not because it was a page turner, but because I could not wait to get it over and done with.
Only read it if you are absolutely desperate.
Just my opinion.
Cheryl in CC NV
Intense, very short, for mature YA or anyone interested in how WWII affected northern Australia. All the characters revealed their part of the story clearly and interestingly. Fascinating. I looked up the title - here's a book on Amazon with a review that summarizes what it means: http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Wind-Jap...,
Richie Partington
15 July 2002 THE DIVINE WIND: A LOVE STORY by Gary Disher, Arthur Levine Books/Scholastic, May 2002

"Gonna lay down my sword and shield
Down by the riverside
Ain't gonna study war no more"

War is such stupid, insane, and horrible shit. I felt this way as a kid in the '60s, watching the evening new reports from Vietnam. Back in those days of adolescence and assassinations, my emerging heroes were calling for us to "Make Love, Not War." I've felt these sentiments resurface time and again throughout my...more
Toni
I really enjoyed this book. it was light reading but some very heavy issues were covered, and it is a skilled authour who can combine that and still make a book enjoyable.
The themes were all very real - and the descriptions of the characters is fablous. I could imagine the characters in front of me - or relate them to people I know. The same with the way the author writes about feelings - he has an ability to describe emotions so the reader can immedialtly relate to some one you know - or maybe...more
I enjoyed this, it was very well-written. Not all the time, some passages seemed a bit self-conscious and 'writerly', but every now and then he'd describe something in a few sentences and I'd really SEE it. It was slow-moving and thoughtful, a little disjointed at times, but always interesting. I thought the subject matter/history was well-researched and not something you read about all that often (i.e. life in Broome during WWII and attitudes to Japanese immigrant pearl fishers there). I liked...more
Astrid 1998
Hart (the main character and narrator) is very boring and non-descriptive
Debbie Johnson
I am reading this as part of a university unit, ENG315 Contemporary Children's Literature. I am enjoying this book even though it is aimed at teenagers.

This book is set in Broome during WW2. Hart falls in love with Mitsy who is Japanese. They face so many difficulties during this time as they emerge into adult hood. I won't give away what happens in the end. A great book if you like a war related story.
Phair
To me this book lacked focus- it tried to cover too much and as a result I was hard put to recall some key points without going back and checking. Overall it had a good feel for Australian history in the war era. It also felt more like an adult novel than a YA. It got glowing reviews in library literature but I don't really feel it was all that memorable or well written.
Felicity
Amazing book. A great example of how the white Australia policy effected so many different people in different ways. A heartthrobbing story of love, war and persistence. The themes are conveyed very well and although the book is short it covers so many significant issues of that war time.
Tiana
These three stars are based on the writing alone, and not the character's. The writing was great, the character's were a bore. I know that, being such a serious topic, the character's wouldn't be too much entertaining, but they just held no personality for me.
Michelle White
I like this book. It would be good to use in a unit on World War 2. It talks about the experience of Japanese-Americans that are usually glossed over. I got it from the IUS Library.
Ralph McEwen
Jan 18, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ralph by: Cheryl
This is a brief but interesting story. A glimpse into the life and times just prior to and through the WWII in a small Australian harbor town. I enjoyed it.
Nickie
Apr 23, 2008 Nickie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people interested in war
i don't usually like what we have to read for english but for once (also the tomorrow series) i liked what they picked
Karren
Interesting history of Japanese immigrants in far Northern Australia pre WWII, well written, easy enjoyable read
Imma
Really well written. It captures the conflict between life-long friends caused by the propaganda of war.
Histteach24
Short read and a decent perspective on Japanese internment and Australia's part in WWII.
Momogozane
I can say this book is only okay.. and the ending is rather dissapointed..
Danny
Had to read this for school all those years ago.
Eleanor
didn't like the ending :/
Nicole
It was a good book.
Megan Weiss
Megan Weiss marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Celine Chen
Celine Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Tacita
Tacita marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Julie Woods
Julie Woods marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full...more
More about Garry Disher...
The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1) Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4) Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2) Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3) Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)