Start by marking “Australian Magpie” as Want to Read:
Australian Magpie

Australian Magpie

The warbling and carolling of the Australian magpie are familiar to many although few of us recognize that it ranks among the foremost songbirds of the world. Its impressive vocal abilities, its propensity to play and clown, and its willingness to interact with people, make the magpie one of our most well-known birds.

This insightful book presents a comprehensive account o
Published October 5th 2004 by CSIRO Publishing (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Australian Magpie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Australian Magpie

Xanthi
Feb 09, 2012 Xanthi rated it really liked it
I often sit outdoors during my breaks at work and I gradually became familiar with a group of magpies that live in the area. I would watch them and even interact with them a bit. I found myself giving names to a few and looked forward to seeing them. I realized, although growing up with them all around me, I knew very little about them. The struck me as intelligent, outgoing birds. So I was pleasantly surprised when my partner handed me this book. I was learning things I never knew about ...more
Katharine
Apr 13, 2016 Katharine rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, I loved this book. I've recently become fascinated by Magpies, having recently watched a pair raise three chicks in my front yard. I've always been interested in animal behaviour, and Magpies are very complex.

There is just so little around on Magpies - I really wanted to go into depth in terms of how they've evolved, their similarities to other types of birds (eg sharing a lot of traits with birds of prey), how they differ around Australia, their complex social structure, the reason for
Pablo Palet Araneda
Apr 25, 2013 Pablo Palet Araneda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ornitologia
Amazing! I enjoyed so much, particularly the chapters of social development, communication and mimicry, and song production. It was not anthropomorphism but Magpies have a real developed society. It's incredible also how the specialists can research and understand avian behavior. What a patience! I see with different eyes my fellow magpies now. I will miss them a lot when going back to my country!
I forgot to say that it deserves a better edition, correcting some fails and especially with full co
Frances Bell
Mar 04, 2011 Frances Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-care
Another brilliant book and worth keeping a printed copy on my shelves as a permanent reference. Can't wait to find more of her works on birds.
Nathanael Coyne
Nathanael Coyne rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Magalie
Magalie rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Se Mcgregor
Se Mcgregor rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Casper Silver Swiftheart
Casper Silver Swiftheart rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Nicky
Nicky rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Madeline Pullen
Madeline Pullen rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Deepsheep
Deepsheep rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2009
David Nash
David Nash rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Smudger
Smudger marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Adelaide
Adelaide marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Ruediger Landmann
Ruediger Landmann marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Maria Goller
Maria Goller marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015