Start by marking “The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought” as Want to Read:

Yes, Virginia, there is a war on Christmas. It’s the secularization of America’s favorite holiday and the ever-stronger push toward a neutered “holiday” season so that non-Christians won’t be even the slightest bit offended.

Traditionalists get upset when they’re told—more and more these days—that celebrating Christmas in any public way is a violation of church and state

Published October 20th 2005 by Sentinel HC (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The War on Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War on Christmas

Brian Ridge
Jun 03, 2010 Brian Ridge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Look, I'm sure that we all can agree that a lot of the stuff in this book is quite silly. But a handful of cases in a country of 300 million people does not a war make, and the author should be ashamed of such an alarmist and exaggerated book on the topic. It's not a war; what it is is a case of some civic and educational leaders around the country working towards the noble goal of inclusion and diversity but doing so in a clumsy or overzealous manner. It's hardly the start of a new religious wa ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Jun 18, 2015 Plainbrownwrapper marked it as not-interested
Why am I not surprised that this guy is (or was) a Faux News anchor?
Claire
Aug 17, 2015 Claire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried to widen my horizons like my friends tell me to do, but I couldn't find anything to agree with in Gibson's text, except okay, maybe there has been a secularization plot. It could have had something to do with Stalin. There may have been notes in the history books of faith being the opium of the people.

Tell the Persian people at the Wawa down the street that the United States of America is an overwhelmingly Christian nation. I'm sure the Indian lady I was speaking with at the Exton Square
Shea Mastison
Apr 22, 2015 Shea Mastison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The whole premise of the book requires that you buy into the notion of a persecuted majority; a majority that is capable of building dozens of $100 million dollar megachurches--but entirely incapable of defending the expression of public sentiment for a single holiday.

Gibson cherry-picks about six or seven different anecdotes he considers to be evidence of a widespread, liberal conspiracy against Christmas; and just extrapolates the hell out of the data to support his inane and illogical conclu
Mike Kowalczyk
May 24, 2007 Mike Kowalczyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A largely overlooked book, the author discusses modern society's push towards the ever-growing desecularization of public venue, with the emphasis placed heavily on Christmas. Among the discussion includes the removal of Nativity sets, Christmas trees, lights, signs, and titles such as "Christmas Season" from public spaces such as parks, squares, malls, and schools. He also confronts the growing hypocracy that has risen from this trend, namely the idea that other religions aren't being equally t ...more
Atchisson
Jan 31, 2008 Atchisson rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I see this as just a symptom of a bigger disease. My card-carrying ACLU member friends will never admit it, but there is an agenda to push God and all things Christian out of the public square. John Gibson just scratches the surface with a smattering of examples centered around Christmas. An important read in as much as it is a big piece of the puzzle.
Nicki
Oct 16, 2013 Nicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read (even for a bleeding-heart liberal like me). It is very thought-provoking, and caused me to question why Christian holidays are pushed into the closet while other religious and nonreligious holidays gain more recognition.
Bridget
A bit repetitive, but the overall premise of being sensitive to every other religion except Christianity rings true.
Amy Sawyer
Apr 04, 2016 Amy Sawyer rated it liked it
Last two chapters were my favorite since they tended to tie the whole book together. Would love to see a follow up as to progress on one side or the other.
Andy Graves
Andy Graves rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Tim Patterson
Tim Patterson rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Danni Hable wyatt
Danni Hable wyatt rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Brian Foltz
Brian Foltz rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Ethan Baron
Ethan Baron rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2010
Bevannes
Bevannes rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2015
Andrew Mitchell
Andrew Mitchell rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2010
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2010
Kevin McGunnigle
Kevin McGunnigle rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Sarah McGinley
Sarah McGinley rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Bev
Bev rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
John Dorcey
John Dorcey rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Josh Einstein
Josh Einstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2014
Ed Stanley
Ed Stanley rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Michele E.
Michele E. rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2016