Start by marking “American Idle” as Want to Read:
American Idle

American Idle

After being knocked unconscious with a frying pan by her celebrity chef boss, Jules decides to turn her life around by taking a job as a production coordinator for a new reality TV show, but she soon finds herself dealing with murderous coworkers, insane fans, and a handsome guy who believes her to be an alcoholic. Reprint.
Published August 1st 2005 by Making It (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Idle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Idle

Liisa
Oct 07, 2008 Liisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women everywhere. Laugh out loud funny!
Recommended to Liisa by: Marleen
I am still wiping the tears from where this book made me laugh ... and laugh some more!

"American Idle" by Alesia Holliday was a completely unexpected treasure. Lent to me by a friend, I casually picked it up yesterday and finished it in one sitting - laughing my way through it.

Ridiculously entertaining!

When I finished it I realised how long it had been since I read a book where absolutely nothing irritated me about the heroine (in this case Jules Vernon .... and yes that didn't even bother m
Gina
Jul 29, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
Total beach read chick lit.
Nanny SA
May 20, 2014 Nanny SA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 2014
Saya memperoleh buku ini di tempat diskon sebuah toko buku,walaupun belum mengenal penulisnya tapi karena judulnya unik dan karena diskon tadi , jadi tertarik untuk membelinya.

Pertama membaca merasa kecewa dengan terjemahannya yang menurut saya kurang bagus, kalimat dan istilahnya terasa kurang pas, jadi saya belum mengerti apa yang mau diceritakan di sini. Saya harus mengulang beberapa halaman dari awal baru mendapat alur kisahnya.

Jules Vernon seorang wanita yang sudah sering berganti-ganti pek
Katie
Jan 14, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I mean, this was fun! But it was also kind of all the reasons people don't like chick lit? Too much over-the-top drama. And the love story didn't work for me AT ALL. The opening kind of implies it's a love triangle and, hahaha, for all that I'm often sick of love triangles, I wanted one here because I kept waiting for another guy to pop up, since I didn't like the first guy. (Mostly he's overprotective. And he's called on it, but I still didn't like it.) And there ARE glimmers of flirtations wit ...more
Chin
The title itself is a play on words, American Idle. Idol compared to Idle. Idol is an icon that is look up upon to. In comparison to idle meaning inactive. These two homophones may sound the same when saying it, means two completely different viewpoints. As the beginning of the book, it is a bit misleading because it starts off with “it does not matter who wins.. I say it, but I know I’m kidding myself” (Holliday 1) relates to the television show. In a way it is similar throughout the entire plo ...more
LM
Jun 21, 2012 LM rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I didn't,
couldn't finish. I was slapping myself as I kept reading more of her
cringe worthy writing. I had heard it was typical chick lit and it is,
this story is fine, but the heroine says things to her boss, boyfriend,
the reader, etc that are so unreal and if people really do speak like
that then I am so glad they've stayed away from me.

Example:
"'My girlfriend? Are you my girlfriend?'
"I think it's way early for the G word, Sam'
'I like the G word. I like all sorts of G words.' He steps
cl
Mandy
Jan 18, 2014 Mandy rated it liked it
This book had its pros and cons. I wavered a little between 2 and 3 stars and decided on 3 because I did find it entertaining.I mean, I just picked it up last night and finished it today.

It definitely could have been better. The pacing was way too fast. It read like the stream of consciousness from a caffeine addict most of the time. It was hard to get to really know any of the characters. There really was just way too much going on.

The behind the scenes of a reality show was interesting, and t
Daelith
Jun 07, 2008 Daelith rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. Since I had read one other book by this author, I knew it would have some funny parts in it, but I was expecting that much funny. The scene in the airport is absolutely hysterical.
For a fun, light, very funny read, this is a great book. I'm just grateful I don't have quite that much chaos in my life.
Deborah
May 02, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
This was a fun contemporary romance. If you are a fan of American Idol, you will love it.
Jules Vernon gets hired to help out on an Idol-like show called Pop Star Live! Lots of drama, wackiness and romance insues.
A great fun summer read.
Merry Bishop
Feb 03, 2012 Merry Bishop rated it liked it
This book started out pretty good, but then it just went downhill from there. It was like the author got more drunk as she wrote the book and just starting writing stupid things and made the characters horrible in the end. The ending of the book was uneventful.
Carla
Oct 05, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
I really enjoyed this funny and witty coming-of-age/romance set in a second-tier singing competition-type reality show. Likeable, quirky characters and a steamy romance. A fun escape read.
Sara Kalt
Dec 10, 2011 Sara Kalt rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
So sad this is over! Loved it from start to finish. Already read the "sequel" so it's fun to get the back story.
Jean Cable
Dec 28, 2012 Jean Cable rated it liked it
Nice read
Angelic Zaizai
Apr 03, 2009 Angelic Zaizai rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
nemu buku ini pas lagi di toko buku Kharisma.. terbitan mereka juga..
lucu ceritanya, pake setting yang agak-agak mirip american idol gitu..
gimana pusingnya jadi panitia audisi hehehe
Beth
Mar 17, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
It was an okay book. Not nearly as funny as other chick lit books I've read, but it had it's moments. It did have some romance novel moments, but they weren't too graphic.
Ria
Mar 06, 2010 Ria rated it liked it
lucu aja .
Nancy
Jul 06, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: vacation-reads
Frothy;
Funny; and
Fun, but not a whole lot more.
Betsy
Mar 22, 2007 Betsy rated it really liked it
This was laugh out loud funny!
Angie
Sep 02, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Sonia
Feb 16, 2008 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining.
Jenifer
Mar 30, 2008 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Hilarious!
Elizabeth Lund
Elizabeth Lund rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Yvonne Crawford
Yvonne Crawford rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2010
Vicky Beltz
Vicky Beltz rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2008
Stacy Umlauf
Stacy Umlauf rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
heidi
heidi rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2009
  • Alternate Beauty
  • Love: A User's Guide
  • The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein
  • Falling Fast
  • The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men (The Wisegirls, #2)
  • The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses
  • Sleeping with Ward Cleaver