Start by marking “American Idle” as Want to Read:
American Idle

American Idle

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  21 reviews
After being knocked unconscious with a frying pan by her celebrity chef boss, Jules decides to turn her life around by taking a job as a production coordinator for a new reality TV show, but she soon finds herself dealing with murderous coworkers, insane fans, and a handsome guy who believes her to be an alcoholic. Reprint.
Published August 1st 2005 by Making It (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about American Idle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Idle

Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Chick Lit for the Beach
349th out of 991 books — 1,435 voters
Miss Lonelyhearts/The Day of the Locust by Nathanael WestTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben PellerReality Boulevard by Melissa Jo PeltierHollywood Ever After by Sasha SummersLast Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger
Hollywood Novels
44th out of 45 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Liisa
Oct 15, 2008 Liisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women everywhere. Laugh out loud funny!
Recommended to Liisa by: Marleen
I am still wiping the tears from where this book made me laugh ... and laugh some more!

"American Idle" by Alesia Holliday was a completely unexpected treasure. Lent to me by a friend, I casually picked it up yesterday and finished it in one sitting - laughing my way through it.

Ridiculously entertaining!

When I finished it I realised how long it had been since I read a book where absolutely nothing irritated me about the heroine (in this case Jules Vernon .... and yes that didn't even bother m
Nanny SA
Saya memperoleh buku ini di tempat diskon sebuah toko buku,walaupun belum mengenal penulisnya tapi karena judulnya unik dan karena diskon tadi , jadi tertarik untuk membelinya.

Pertama membaca merasa kecewa dengan terjemahannya yang menurut saya kurang bagus, kalimat dan istilahnya terasa kurang pas, jadi saya belum mengerti apa yang mau diceritakan di sini. Saya harus mengulang beberapa halaman dari awal baru mendapat alur kisahnya.

Jules Vernon seorang wanita yang sudah sering berganti-ganti pek
Katie
I mean, this was fun! But it was also kind of all the reasons people don't like chick lit? Too much over-the-top drama. And the love story didn't work for me AT ALL. The opening kind of implies it's a love triangle and, hahaha, for all that I'm often sick of love triangles, I wanted one here because I kept waiting for another guy to pop up, since I didn't like the first guy. (Mostly he's overprotective. And he's called on it, but I still didn't like it.) And there ARE glimmers of flirtations wit ...more
Mandy
This book had its pros and cons. I wavered a little between 2 and 3 stars and decided on 3 because I did find it entertaining.I mean, I just picked it up last night and finished it today.

It definitely could have been better. The pacing was way too fast. It read like the stream of consciousness from a caffeine addict most of the time. It was hard to get to really know any of the characters. There really was just way too much going on.

The behind the scenes of a reality show was interesting, and t
Chin
The title itself is a play on words, American Idle. Idol compared to Idle. Idol is an icon that is look up upon to. In comparison to idle meaning inactive. These two homophones may sound the same when saying it, means two completely different viewpoints. As the beginning of the book, it is a bit misleading because it starts off with “it does not matter who wins.. I say it, but I know I’m kidding myself” (Holliday 1) relates to the television show. In a way it is similar throughout the entire plo ...more
LM Yellow
I didn't,
couldn't finish. I was slapping myself as I kept reading more of her
cringe worthy writing. I had heard it was typical chick lit and it is,
this story is fine, but the heroine says things to her boss, boyfriend,
the reader, etc that are so unreal and if people really do speak like
that then I am so glad they've stayed away from me.

Example:
"'My girlfriend? Are you my girlfriend?'
"I think it's way early for the G word, Sam'
'I like the G word. I like all sorts of G words.' He steps
cl
Nancy
Frothy;
Funny; and
Fun, but not a whole lot more.
Gina
Total beach read chick lit.
Daelith
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. Since I had read one other book by this author, I knew it would have some funny parts in it, but I was expecting that much funny. The scene in the airport is absolutely hysterical.
For a fun, light, very funny read, this is a great book. I'm just grateful I don't have quite that much chaos in my life.
Merry Bishop
This book started out pretty good, but then it just went downhill from there. It was like the author got more drunk as she wrote the book and just starting writing stupid things and made the characters horrible in the end. The ending of the book was uneventful.
Deborah
This was a fun contemporary romance. If you are a fan of American Idol, you will love it.
Jules Vernon gets hired to help out on an Idol-like show called Pop Star Live! Lots of drama, wackiness and romance insues.
A great fun summer read.
Carla_Collette
I really enjoyed this funny and witty coming-of-age/romance set in a second-tier singing competition-type reality show. Likeable, quirky characters and a steamy romance. A fun escape read.
Angelic Zaizai
nemu buku ini pas lagi di toko buku Kharisma.. terbitan mereka juga..
lucu ceritanya, pake setting yang agak-agak mirip american idol gitu..
gimana pusingnya jadi panitia audisi hehehe
Beth
It was an okay book. Not nearly as funny as other chick lit books I've read, but it had it's moments. It did have some romance novel moments, but they weren't too graphic.
Sara Kalt
So sad this is over! Loved it from start to finish. Already read the "sequel" so it's fun to get the back story.
Angie
This book is absolutely one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Betsy
This was laugh out loud funny!
Jenifer
Hilarious!
Sonia
Very entertaining.
Ria
lucu aja .
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Whitney Romana
Whitney Romana marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Askme
Askme marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Shantyl
Shantyl marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • A Piece of Heaven
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • She'll Take It
  • Love: A User's Guide: A Novel of Romance with Attitude
  • Blade Runner
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men (The Wisegirls, #2)
  • The Remarkable Miss Frankenstein
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Falling Fast
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Blame It on Chocolate
  • Sleeping with Ward Cleaver
  • Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots
  • Lucky Stiff (Lucky O'Toole #2)
  • Summer in the City
  • The Comeback Kiss
Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1) Nice Girls Finish First Seven Ways to Lose Your Lover E-Mail To The Front: One Wife's Correspondence With Her Husband Overseas Shop 'Til Yule Drop