Start by marking “Island Of Bones (Louis Kincaid, #5)” as Want to Read:
Island Of Bones (Louis Kincaid, #5)

Island Of Bones (Louis Kincaid #5)

In the wake of a hurricane, a tiny beached skull washes up in front of Detective Louis Kincaid's cottage. Days later, the bullet-ridden body of woman surfaces on a nearby beach. She has no identification...except for a unique ring carved out of bone on her finger. Sensing a connection between the dead woman and the skull he's found, Louis starts investigating. His search f ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Island Of Bones, please sign up.

Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
110th out of 279 books — 248 voters
Bag of Bones by Stephen KingThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverCity of Bones by Michael ConnellyCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Books With "BONES"
43rd out of 92 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

This is my first visit to the world of Louis Kincaid, and what an adventure it was! With a sort of laid back beginning through to the final whirlwind, it truly kept my attention. A hurricane sweeps the Florida island where he lives and washes up what he originally believes to be a murdered baby's skull. It takes a new father only a quick glance to inform him that it is a newborn's skull and no murder. It also appears to be about 500 years old. Is this a portent of things to come? Will this innoc ...more
Toni Kania
Jun 11, 2014 Toni Kania rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
There is a lot of texture to the sisters' series (yes, "she" is two sisters writing together) featuring PI Louis Kincaid, both in his personal story, as well as in the plots. However, this one strained credulity a bit this time, but not in any of the ways that might normally make me put it down or not go on with the series. They are really good writers, and that they do it together so well is a...well...a mystery to me.
Mar 05, 2016 Pat rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Louis Kincaid becomes involved in a case which starts out as a simple murder inquiry but then looks like it may have links to missing persons cases of teenage girls spanning 35 years. Louis has also been engaged by a woman to check out her father. Diane suspects he may be involved in all this somehow.

Louis gets to work with a new detective who gives him a really hard time initially. Once Louis learns of the the detective's secret and they start to work properly together they unravel a
Joe Vitucci
Oct 24, 2014 Joe Vitucci rated it liked it
very interesting. a PI and seemingly washed up detective are thrown together against their better judgment to solve a case. have you ever heard of Asturians? (hope I got that right). I hadn't. not exactly a cult, but very different. think rape of the Sabine women, Romulus and Remus, Latin, missing persons, supposed abductions, Florida coral / mangrove islands. Many twists and turns all through the book up until the end. Almost all of them were totally unexpected. I thought some of the book not a ...more
Cathy Cole
As I began reading Island of Bones, I loved the description of the landscape, and I enjoyed the sense of history associated with all those small islands off the coast of Florida. However, I felt as though I'd gotten off on the wrong foot. Perhaps I should not have begun this particular series with book #5 because I felt there was a whole lot of backstory behind Louis Kincaid that I was unaware of-- to the point where his character never really captured my imagination or interest. His contact on ...more
Janet Totten
Feb 28, 2014 Janet Totten rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by this author and again, was not disappointed. The writing flows, the characters very real like and the story line does not let up .. I found myself saying, just one more chapter ... just one more chapter ... and before I knew it, I was done!

5 missing girls ... one dead ... 4 just vanished ... Can Louis uncover one family's decade tradition before another goes missing or will he be too late?
Rashmi Pant
Oct 07, 2014 Rashmi Pant rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag for me. For the most part I liked it. A retired cop, now PI Louis Kincaid is a fairly troubled peron, helping out another cop.. who is even more troubled.. together they try to figure out the mysterious disappearance of 5 ladies. This part was good. The answers they found were however less than convincing.
P.J. Parrish
Set in the late 1980s, a young woman's bullet-ridden corpse is found tangled in mangrove roots on Florida's seacoast. Kincaid, a former cop turned private investigator, is hired by a woman who fears that her father, Frank Woods, a middle-aged, nondescript librarian with murky connections to several missing women dating back as far as 35 years, may be the killer.

Parts of this book really didn’t work for me. At points Kincade really did seem TSTL and Mel, for someon
Nov 09, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Great mystery/thriller. I was hooked by the first few pages. The characters were well developed without overshadowing the story. The descriptions of the Florida coast and islands was so good, I could almost feel the humidity. Great story with several plot twists. This was not the first in the Louis Kincaid series, but it worked just fine as a stand-alone.
Aug 28, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. The characters were well defined and easy to relate to. I really liked Kincaid and felt sorry for Mel. I had a hard time putting this book down. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I look forward to reading more Kincaid mysteries.
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
5th book in series. A hurricane washes up a tiny skull in front of Louis Kincaid 19s cottage. Later, a dead woman is found on a nearby beach. Louis investigates both, seeing a connection. Suspenseful 26
Lisa Currier
Oct 10, 2015 Lisa Currier rated it liked it
Moved along at a good pace. I like the Louis Kincaid character.He is intelligent and complex. Wesn't sure about the Landeta character, seemed a little unrealistic. The story was well pace, with alot going on.
Oct 04, 2014 Merilee rated it it was ok
Not comparable to the other P.J. Parish books - love, love, love Louis Kincaid but this story just wasn't as well-done as the others and I felt like the resolution of the missing women was highly unlikely.
Rhonda Ritchie-Warren
Feb 08, 2015 Rhonda Ritchie-Warren rated it really liked it
An old scull washed up on the beach and soon a body with many bullets appears on another beach. The link between the two opens the door to murderer evil and a thriller.
Aug 26, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
When Dt. Louis Kincaid finds the skin of a baby washed up on the beach in from of his house after a hurricane, it starts him on a path to much, much more.
Nov 12, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Neil Plakcy
Aug 06, 2015 Neil Plakcy rated it it was amazing
Great sense of place in this book, set on the west coast of Florida. Clever, twisty plot, interesting characters, great writing-- what more can you want?
Aug 30, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Storyline

I loved the creativity of the storyline and character development. The mystery and suspense held my attention page after page with the thrilling conclusion. Louis Kincaid and his police partner had an interesting dynamic between the two of them and finding out why the detective's personality was so abrupt was an unique discovery midway through the story. What was even more interesting was how these storylines ended and the case closed. I look forward to reading more by the s
Jan 23, 2016 D rated it really liked it
On P.J. Parrish reading spree. Interesting is all I have to say.
Stephanie Sudano
Sep 21, 2014 Stephanie Sudano rated it liked it
Done maybe 3-1/2 stars.....
Aug 01, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Good book
Arthur Kittler
Oct 02, 2011 Arthur Kittler rated it liked it
Not a bad book. Not a great book, but well written and enjoyable. For some reason, although I liked this book, I never really connected with it. I could never understand why the police "hired" Kincaid and had a hard time putting together his relationship with Diane, the woman who hired him. the author could have just as well made Kincaid a police detective and have him work the case rather than going through all the hupla about her hiring a detective and having that part of the story fall flat.
Oct 28, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Andi Booher
Oh my, what a read. This was another one evening read. Having lived in many out of the way places and interacting with isolated folks, I could identify with the antagonists. I felt some sympathy for the situation they found themselves in, not in how they attempted to fix the problem.

The writing is fast paced and well done. Not much editing needed to have been done. Not a lot of verbiage.

Did not see the ending coming.

Looking for something different, give it a read.
Apr 17, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Why I let P.J. Parrish fall to the side while I read other authors is beyond me. Island of Bones made my stomach clench and my heart race, what a ride he took me on. I am going to get right on the rest of the Louis Kincaid series, I didn't realize what I had been missing. I have the first five in my head, now I am going to get the rest in there, however Island of Bones is going to sit with me for a long time, What a great, weird, page turner. Loved it.
Feb 22, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
It was a fast read but the plot was mucked up; the story jumped here and there and was full of illogic and inconsistencies, the ending was foul, the Roman link weak if not completely misleading. I think the book may have been intended to tackle serious underlying subjects like abortion and/or dysfunctional families. Then again maybe I am reading too much sense into the book and it was really just a poorly written, meaningless mystery/thriller.
Amanda F Savage
Nov 04, 2014 Amanda F Savage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It started out a little slow but quickly sucked me in. Usually you can sort of guess what is going on but this one threw in a twist toward the end. I highly recommend it for those into thrillers.
May 07, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the languages, the mythology, and the transformation of characters in this one!
Dec 27, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: free-books, 2014
3.5 stars. Interesting story idea, but they lost me by writing the protagonist as a world-weary P.I. who left the police force after garnering some sort of impressive reputation while he was there, enough that the local police chief brings him in on a hot murder case. Believable, *maybe*, if this guy's in his late 40's/early 50's, but not if he's...27.
Jul 22, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
I really should read these in order. The characters evolve so much. Mel, in this one, where he's first introduced is a complete dick. It made me question if it was even the same character. But you see him evolve, and start to resemble the Mel I know in later books.

An interesting, yet twisted plot line. Two thumbs up.
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is another in the Louis Kincaid series and it's as good as the rest - which were all very good. Louis is still in Florida. The aftermath of a hurricane turns up the skull of a tiny baby and the body of a young girl. Kincaid works with the new local Detective to piece together the history of both of them.
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • White Ghost (Graham Gage #4)
  • Forget to Remember (Carol Golden, #1)
  • Divine Justice (Divine Trilogy, #2)
  • No Safe Haven
  • Shadow of Death (Brady Coyne, #21)
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • Shadow Valley
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • American Crow (The Missing Series)
  • Codename: Chimera
  • Cities of the Dead (Michael Spraugge Mystery #4)
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • Last Lullaby (Eve Diamond #3)
  • The Haunted Rectory
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins (Madeline Donovan #1)
  • Sweet Karoline
P.J. Parrish is the New York Times bestselling author of ten Louis Kincaid and Joe Frye thrillers. The author is actually two sisters, Kristy Montee and Kelly Nichols. Their books have appeared on both the New York Times and USA Today best seller lists. The series has garnered 11 major crime-fiction awards, and an Edgar nomination. Parrish has won two Shamus awards, one Anthony and one Internation ...more
More about P.J. Parrish...

Louis Kincaid (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Louis Kincaid, #4)
  • A Killing Rain (Louis Kincaid, #6)
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • The Little Death (Louis Kincaid, #10)
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)