Start by marking “The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book about Volcanoes” as Want to Read:
The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book about Volcanoes

The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book about Volcanoes (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,928 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Ms. Frizzle's class is having a hard time putting together a giant globe of the world.
Published February 1st 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top

Wooden Horse
May 21, 2014 Wooden Horse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages: 5 years & Up
The little guy visited me here at the toy store and requested I bring this book to read the next time I came to his house. He enjoyed it although he did have a lot of questions as to how the bus worked and why they were traveling the way they did. As I'm looking back over it I realize we didn't actually finish reading the book. I think we were interuppted by the lunch bell. His Nana runs a tight ship so when lunch is ready we have to stop which means I'll be taking this one back again at some po ...more
Kayla Fallis
Nov 28, 2012 Kayla Fallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book series by Joanna Cole is a fun and adventurous way to get students interested in science and educational topics. In this particular book, Ms. Frizzle's students are piecing together a huge globe of the world but don't have every piece so it falls apart. This happens because there is a new island that hasn't been discovered yet so of course the class takes a field trip. They travel into the ocean and come across an underwater volcano which they soon learn will be an adventure for them. ...more
Kristanne Duncan
Sep 19, 2012 Kristanne Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always loved the Magic School Bus series! So adventurous. What teacher or student wouldn't want their class to be as exciting?! This particular book, The Magic School Bus Blows It's Top, is all about volcanoes. The children are all so confused when Ms. Frizzle tells them that there is a new island that has yet to be discovered. They want to know more, they want to know how! So of course, Ms. Frizzle takes them on one of her famous field trips. Throughout this whole story, the students in Ms. F ...more
Sarah Adamson
I found this Magic School bus book harder - not as much science, lots of teasing between the students and it was interesting they chose to talk about an under sea volcano instead of a land volcano. Still a good and interesting read with my little scientist though.
Meredith Kaupp
Compared to other Magic School Bus books, this one has fewer facts and much less information. Kids will probably have an easier tome with it because the focus is more on the narrative. It would be a good intro to the series.
Gianna Mosser
May 17, 2014 Gianna Mosser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atticus chose a rating of five for this. I thought it was a pretty easy one to tackle, as far as the MSB lessons go. There weren't too many side panels, so it didn't take an hour to read.
Keely Shannon
This book doesn't have all of the technical details you'd need to teach middle grades science, but it's perfect for primary grades.
April
Feb 19, 2015 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Magic School bus and this book offers lots of great facts about volcanoes! I really enjoyed it.
The Brothers
Ms. Frizzle and the gang go investigate the inner (and outer) workings of volcanoes.

Typical Magic School Bus illustrations.
Stephanie Delvecchio
Summary: Once again, Ms. Frizzle gets her class right in the "thick" of things--this time, they're right in the thick ooze of an underwater volcano's magma chamber! As Arnold and Carlos watch from a raft above, the Magic School Bus "erupts" with the magma and lava, and lands atop a brand-new island! Thank you amazon!

Themes: Volcanos, imagination, science, magic

Curricular uses: Read aloud, independent reading

Level: Ages 4-8
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love the Magic School Bus books. I've read quite a few over the years. Legomeister loved them a couple of years ago. He still checks them out sometimes, but he doesn't ask me to read them to him anymore. Now it's Little Miss who requests them.

The Magic School Bus kids learn how an underwater volcano turns into and island.
Dolly
Jul 15, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ms. Frizzle and the kids take off on another fictional field trip to learn all about volcanoes. It's a fun and exciting story, based on one of the tv episodes. Our girls just love the Magic School Bus TV tie-in series!
Rachel Thomas
title: The Magic School Bus Blows it's Top: A book about Volcanoes (information)
author: Gail Herman
illustrator: Bruce Degen
Publisher: First Scholastic Printing
date: 1996
summary: This book was a cute way to teach about volcanoes. You could use this in a lesson for teaching.
Amber Pound
Apr 09, 2013 Amber Pound rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the magic school bus books! They make science fun while still be very educational. They are easy to follow and give enough detail but not too much to overwhelm the kids. This books travels inside a volcano and shows how the lava is stored deep in the Earth!
Molly Darr
I love The Magic School Bus series. When I become a teacher I hope my classroom is anywhere near that exciting. This is one of the many books in the series discussing volcanoes. The teacher really brings the topic to life with imagination.
Nov 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Magic School Bus presents information in a fun way. Thought bubbles, colorful illustrations, and information combine to create a successful informational story with fiction, as well.
Jasmin Thompson
Apr 19, 2012 Jasmin Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, tornadoes
Yes, these books are very wordy, but you should have at least one Magic School Bus story book in your collection. This story explains everything about volcanoes students need to know.
Deborah Harris
2 Copies

AR Quiz No. 15107 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Theresa
looking closely at science is not what mrs frizzel does she explores science in the real world on a scale that makes everything different and exciting
Lindsey Lubker
Apr 17, 2013 Lindsey Lubker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, volcanos
This is such a fun book about volcanos. It has awesome pictures and is easy to read. It would be a great book to read during science.
Teri
Feb 16, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: volcanoes
We like most the magic school bus books; this is no exception.

Note to self: watch the magic school bus episode as well
Shelly Koressel
This is based off of the tv series on pbs. Good for science and kindergarten up to 2nd grade would like this.
Marts  (Thinker)
Nov 02, 2009 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I always loved the Magic school bus series, and enjoyed the adventures with Ms. Frizzle and the class.
ABC
Aug 07, 2011 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
In this book, the bus goes go the bottom of the ocean. They watch a new island form out of a volcano.
Tierra Garr
Apr 24, 2012 Tierra Garr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love the Magic School bus?! Ms. Drizzle and the gang learn all about volcanos!
Lauren
Apr 27, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Loved watching this TV show as a kid. I feel like I learned so much from the books and the show!
Rachel
This book is a simple fun story that introduces some great main points and fun facts.
Rowe Northwestern
i was thinking why did they blow up

by anaya$

Amanda
Sep 23, 2007 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
This book is about the magic school bus is in someware????? It blowes it's top!!
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Cold Feet: A Book About Hot- and Cold-Blooded Animals
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Programmed
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • The Magic School Bus: Butterfly and the Bog Beast: A Book about Butterfly Camouflage
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • The Great Shark Escape (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #7)
  • The Giant Germ (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #6)
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • From Tadpole to Frog
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...

Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs
  • The Magic School Bus Kicks Up A Storm: A Book About Weather
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • The Magic School Bus In The Haunted Museum: A Book About Sound
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color