Start by marking “Mad About the Boy” as Want to Read:
Mad About the Boy

Mad About the Boy

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,082 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A year after Antonia and Hugh move to Australia he confesses that he is gay - and has a boyfriend. Only the arrival of Hugh's lavender-haired uncle lifts her out of her depression and gets her back to the gym. There she meets the mysterious James and finds there's a dark side to the sunshine city.
Published 2003 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2002)

Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsThoughtless by S.C. StephensAmy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonLeaving Paradise by Simone ElkelesBetween the Lines by Tammara Webber
Holding Hands
268 books — 351 voters
Hunting Lila by Sarah AldersonThe Dark Divine by Bree DespainThe Lost Saint by Bree DespainAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Legs!
153 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Leah
Aug 30, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
Mad About The Boy is Maggie Alderson’s second novel (her first being Pants on Fire). A year after Hugo and Antonia move to Sydney, Hugo announces he’s gay and also has a boyfriend (Greg). He leaves Antonia alone in her adopted city with only her son, Tom, and food for comfort. Not only that but all of her friends seem to have deserted her. Then along comes Hugo’s outrageous Uncle Percy who sends Antonia to the gym. There she meets the mysterious James but what on Earth is he hiding?

I loved Mad A
Elaine
Mar 27, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
I'm actually a little frustrated by Maggie Alderson as a writer. I've read three of her books now, this was the first. They start strongly, the female character is usually fairly strong and self sufficient. The writing style is good. But then therse stereotypes seem to appear from nowhere. Like the very camp gay man which is the uncle in this one. The new man whose character never really get fleshed out so you don't know what she sees in him. Then the ending is always a little disappointing, wit ...more
Andrea Smith
Jan 22, 2017 Andrea Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really easy fun read.
Chloe Jane
Aug 07, 2014 Chloe Jane rated it it was amazing
Maggie Alderson Mad About The Boy Novel Review
After publishing Pants on Fire, Maggie Alderson blew us all away with another phenomenal novel; Mad About The Boy. Antonia Heaveringham moved to Sydney with her husband Hugo and her only son Tom only a year ago. When someone says 'I've got something to tell you' a thousand things fly through our mind, in Antonia's case she never imagined what was about to come next.
A pansy. A woofter. A shirtlifter. A bum bandit. A turd burger. A marmite miner. Hugo
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
I REALLY enjoyed this book. I loved How to Break Your Own Heart because even though it deals with some fairly heavy stuff, it's very uplifting, and so was Mad About the Boy.

Despite finding out her husband is gay on the first page, Antonia pulls herself together after a few months of wallowing and manages to make a good new life for herself, although going to the gym at 2am is not really a healthy activity. I really enjoyed her journey through opening up her own antiques store and the process s
Kee
Jul 18, 2014 Kee rated it liked it
This book elicited so many emotions - from utter depression and sadness to fuzzy 'feels' and joy, and delight in the works of karma. The beginning was so sad and I really felt for the main character. The characters were multi-dimensional and very interesting, as was the plot. I really enjoyed reading about the relationships between the characters, and loved the world of the protagonist, Ant.

Regardless of the great plot with great characters, my love for the story faltered a tad towards the end.
Libby
Apr 13, 2009 Libby rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the tiny self-obsessed microcosm of the moneyed elite on the North Shore
Shelves: feculent
This was my second attempt at chick-lit (in as many days). I figured that I would give it one more go, just in case I made a premature judgement based on the one book. I also thought that maybe the fact that I was missing a lot of cultural references and significances in the previous book that may have affected my enjoyment levels. This one was set in Sydney so there could be no misunderstandings. It had Jimmy Choos instead of Manolo's (God I cant believe I know the names of expensive shoe brand ...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Dec 28, 2010 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, audiobook
I loved this story, it was really enjoyable and highly recommend it. It has some sad moments and lots of happy moments - Uncle Percy is great - everyone should have one!

Antonia & Hugo Heaveringham have been together for 10 years, since meeting at Uni and they have been married for 6 years and have a 6 year old son Tom. They have recently migrated to Australia from London when Hugo admits to Ant that he is gay and has a boyfriend who he wants to go and live with.

Ant is devastated as she has j
Diana Hockley
Sep 16, 2013 Diana Hockley rated it it was amazing
Insomniac’s delight!

This is the first novel I have read by Maggie Alderson and it will definitely not be the last. Unable to sleep - a condition which afflicts me frequently and explains why I read and review so many books - I scuffled around under the bed (it is a library book) and came up with Mad About the Boy.

Totally over the top, glitzy and unrealistic, this story is great fun. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and a plot with lots of twists and turns.

The characters are likeable, eccentric
Cristo
Aug 09, 2012 Cristo rated it really liked it
I've read the story and now I'm listening to the playaway version - and I'd recommend both. Maggie writes a good story, this one has a bit more depth to it than "Pants on Fire" and the characters are very likeable/interesting and diverse.
My first impression of Stephanie Daniel's voice was that she didn't fit my mental image of Antonia - she sounds too old. Persevere however, as her talent at performing multiple character voices brilliantly is remarkable. This talent adds to the pleasure of liste
India
Jul 11, 2012 India rated it really liked it
This book is the kind of book that you could imagine something similar actually happening. Even though the main character has something happen to her at the start of this book that completly turns her world upside down, it's also got an incredibly hilarious twist to it. Antoniyas life changes for the better about half way through the book when her recently made friend James becomes something more. They both fall for eachother but can openly see eachother because he's trying to solve a case and h ...more
Dorothy
Sep 02, 2013 Dorothy rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read this book, but I can say I enjoyed it with confidence - because I enjoy all Maggie Alderson's books.

They are definitely what I'd call "chick lit" - there's always a feel-good romance in them somewhere, but they're not predictable, formulaic Romance where you know on page 2 who the heroine will end up with. The heroine will go on some kind of journey, so her life is better by the end of the book than it was at the start - and the obstacles don't feel manufactured.

A
Jodie (Books for Company)
Oct 05, 2010 Jodie (Books for Company) rated it really liked it
My reading taste has changed a little in the past few months, more fussy and l have been very lucky with that fact that l have found some new authors to fulfil my little chang in taste.

I used to read very straight forward sort of books with main story line were : Meet a boy - Fall in Love - Fall out - Get back together. Now l want a little extra in books and this book is exactly the sort of book which does that.

It's strange to say but this book have a little bit of crime in as well as the usual
Rina
May 05, 2012 Rina rated it liked it
I definitely liked this one more than Pants On Fire. This one has more actions, the storyline is deeper, and the characters are more multidimensional. Expecting somewhat similar tone to Pants on Fire, I was glad I got more satisfaction from Mad About The Boy. And the lovely Antony Maybury is back, which I think is a nice touch.
Hannie
Ik had dit boek al eens eerder gelezen en heb het nu opnieuw gelezen, omdat ik niet precies meer wist hoe het ook alweer afliep. Het was leuk om weer eens te lezen. Het is wel een echte chicklit. Zo rooskleurig als alles in dit boek loopt, zo loopt het in het echte leven niet, maar het is wel een leuk boek om te lezen. Het leest ook heel vlot en ik had het dan ook zo uit.
Aisha
Jul 03, 2014 Aisha rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely interesting! I loved it! It started out a bit lighthearted and slowly it turned pretty intense! Gosh! I loved Maggie's writing style, it was super easy to understand and it was so good, I literally felt like I was in Antonia's head! Finished it in 1 and a half days. James is SOOOO hot!
Barbara Elsborg
Apr 08, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it liked it
It was fun and this was the second time I'd read it a few years apart. I liked it better first time round - I know that because I'd kept it. LOL .I love the uncle, I like the premise, I like the writing. The bit I'm not so keen on is the romance element. I think I'd have liked a bit more of that but it was a quick read and enjoyable. Three and half stars for me.
Rameza
Jul 09, 2012 Rameza rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story. Although I read "Pants on Fire" previously and honestly didn't have high expectations with this book. However, I would recommend the book to those who enjoy reading romantic novels with a hint of thriller and mystery in it. It just adds up to the excitement.
Sass
DNF at approximately page 1, after hitting my third homophobic slur. If you're a cishet-presenting woman you cannot reclaim slurs traditionally directed at gay men, I don't care if it's your (stereotypical) gay character saying them.
Joolz
Jul 28, 2011 Joolz rated it liked it
Good fun, easy read, and couldnt put it down. Great interesting original storyline, with endearing characters, wasnt sure where the book was going to go, but half way through I can see it, but even then it wasnt a disappointment. Would recommend as a beach/holiday read or typical chick lit.
Kimberley
Feb 09, 2010 Kimberley rated it liked it
Semi-bog standard chick lit book set in Sydney. Devastating break-up: check; Weight gain: check; Weight loss: check; Cheeky characters: check; Devilishly handsome man: check. A little and easy read.
Gailene
Nov 17, 2011 Gailene rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book, it was very funny, tough situation for anyone to deal with but the characters around this girl were funny, thoughtful and caring and helped her get out of her tough situation. Loved how it was set in Sydney
Renae
Jan 18, 2008 Renae rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a laugh
I love this book. It's not something I would normally read given I prefer horror/fantasy or 50's/60's childrens books, but it's fantastic for a light hearted romantic comedy. I re-read this whenever I need a bit of a lift and chuckle.
Angela
Feb 22, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
Really liked this book the story and characters had me hooked from start to finish. This is the first book I've ever read that was written by this author and I definitely intend to check out her other books.
Lauracarr100
May 28, 2014 Lauracarr100 rated it liked it
I love Bridget and I have missed her. That's probably the only redeeming thing about this book I'm afraid.
Karen
Aug 04, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Aussic chic lit! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Georgina Martin (Bookz and Bitz)
I love Alderson's writing, and this is a re-read. Still hasn't lost its magic and it has everything a good chick lit book should have!
Sara
Aug 06, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
I Love Maggies Books They Make me Laugh!
Brittany Harrison
Aug 31, 2013 Brittany Harrison rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book, chick lit at its best :)
Uci
Feb 10, 2008 Uci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/4 bagian pertama buku sangat menyenangkan.
Tapi endingnya terlalu klise. Itik buruk rupa yang berubah menjadi angsa...
  • The Paradise Room
  • Far From Over
  • Naked Truths
  • The Make-Up Girl
  • The Naked Husband
  • Girls' Night In
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Forget me not
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • Serendipity
  • Baby Be Mine (Johnny Be Good, #2)
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Going La La
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Nadia Knows Best
  • Game Over
  • Air Kisses
Maggie Alderson is a British-Australian author (that’s what I’m supposed to say, but I’m not very good at writing about myself in the third person, so I’m going to can it).

I was born in London, brought up in rural Staffordshire, and educated at the University of St Andrews - and then at the University of Life, Sydney campus.

I spent many years covering the fashion shows in Paris, Milan, London et
More about Maggie Alderson...