Blank-133x176
A Body in the Bathhouse

Lindsey Davis

A Body in the Bathhouse (Marcus Didius Falco #13)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,462 ratings  ·  50 reviews
With his entire family in tow, including wife, two children, and a sister whose spurned lover's plans for revenge have put her life in danger, Marcus Didius Falco, the Roman Emperor Vespasian's smart-aleck PI, follows two unsavory building contractors suspected of murder to a barbarous, uncivilized outpost of the Empire--the south coast of Britain, where its Great King, hi...more
Published (first published August 28th 2001)

Susana
3,5 stars

This is one of my favorite series. The main characters (Marcus Didius Falco and Helena Justina) are in fact, one of my all time favorite couples, so it's always great to read a book that features them.I feel like i know them for more than a decade now. :)
The banter and witty comments that the characters exchange, were as always a pleasure to read.

It would however be a greater pleasure of mine, if this series would once again start being translated to portuguese...oh, how i miss thee!!...more
B.R. Stateham
Always good to go back and re-read a favorite. If you haven't met 'Falco' you should. A genuinely interesting character.
Yoake
No suelo abandonar un libro. Pero cierto es que hay una relación proporcional entre mi edad y el número de libros abandonados. Cuando era más joven no sentía que leer un libro que no me gustara era perder el tiempo. Ahora que soy menos joven, sí. Quizá sea porque el espectro de libros que me esperan ha aumentado considerablemente.

Hace unos años leí La plata de Britania, la primera de veinte dedicada a las pesquisas del detective romano Didio Falco y ya entonces tuve problemas. Me despistaba. No...more
Scot
Thirteenth of the Marcus Didius Falco mysteries, a fun and simultaneously instructive series penned by Lindsey Davis, which provides interesting background of social, cultural, and political practices of the Roman Empire during the reign of Vespasian, who ruled from 69 to 79 A.D. Our intrepid hero Falco sniffs out (well, that’s putting it lightly) a decaying body buried in the caldarium (hot room) of the bathhouse at the mansion he just got from his father, making a move back into Rome to accomm...more
Rachel Hawes
The one at Fishbourne Palace with the dodgy workmen and the irritating nanny.
Ed
Apr 26, 2014 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Rome, who dunnits, and/or Lindsey Davis, work.
I really wanted to give this book a higher rating mostly because I have enjoyed the "Falco" series so much over the years. This, the 13th in the series, doesn't quite measure up to the previous offerings.

The story opens with Falco uncovering a decaying body in the bathhouse he is having built at his new family residence in Rome. He believes that the bathhouse builders are the perpetrators and have run off to Britain, a place Falco hates. Fortunately or unfortunately the Emperor Vespasian asks h...more
Georgiana 1792
Marco Didio Falco, l’investigatore romano che opera nell’epoca dei Flavi, questa volta è in trasferta nella sua Inghilterra. Sua perché è lì che ha conosciuto Elena Giustina, la figlia di un senatore romano che ha sposato e che gli ha appena dato la sua seconda figlia, Favonia. Sua perché Falco si muove nell’isola di Albione con una certa dimestichezza, spiegata anche dal fatto che il nostro investigatore, affiancato dal fedele amico Petronio Longo, ha prestato servizio militare nella legione II...more
Rosanne Lortz
Britain–the last place on earth that Marcus Didius Falco wants to visit. But when Emperor Vespasian asks him to conduct a cost analysis of a building site on the edge of the empire, our hero can hardly refuse. A Body in the Bathhouse shows the Didius family traveling en masse to the wilds of Britain: Marcus, his helpful wife Helena Justina, and their two little girls; Justinus and Aulus, assistants and brothers-in-law to the intrepid informer; and Maia, Marcus’ sarcastic sister who needs to flee...more
Loni
Sep 04, 2008 Loni rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction/mystery buffs
Dirty diapers and double dealing.

Really funny, well paced, and historically accurate with great details. Falco, the main character is witty without being overly quippy smarty toga. You have like a 'Man from Rome' who brings his wife, 2 small children, dog, nephews, lusty yet lazy Freedwoman and angry sister on a long trip by ship to the newly Romanized British Isles by order of the current Emperor. He and his wife make an interesting team and their relationship is healthy.

It is refreshing to fo...more
Jamie
2.5 stars. I always enjoy reading about Marcus Didius Falco and his family, but this isn't one of my favorites in this series, and it's not a particularly intriguing murder mystery. I find that I usually prefer the Falco adventures which take place in Rome.

After Falco discovers the titular body in his new bathhouse, he accepts an assignment from the emperor to investigate corruption at a huge building site in Britain. Falco suspects that his wretched bathhouse contractors might have absconded th...more
Susan
Falco and his father discover a corpse under the floor of his new bath house. The contractors unfortunately may have fled to Britain, a place that Falco hates. But he is ordered to go to southern Britain to investigate the overly high running costs of a palace being built for Togidubnus, an ally of the Emperor Vespasian.

Kirby
I'm having a real hard time getting my review up here. Here I go one more time after having two reviews lost to cyberspace.

I followed my friend and favorite detective Falco out of Ancient Rome to a construction site on a job commissioned by the emperor. The project is going no where and is hemorrhaging money. As he tries to unravel the problems of the project in a hostile environment, he uncovers a series of murders and finds himself in the crosshairs of the murderer or murderers.

In each Falco n...more
Nancy
Falco and Helena are back in Britain, along with assorted family members (including Helena's two brothers), on a new assignment for the Emperor Vespasian, this time auditing a building site. But it's not just any building site. It's the "Great King's" new palace, a gift from Vespasian to the local chieftain for his loyalty to Rome. We know it today as Fishbourne Palace, an amazing Roman ruin in West Sussex, England, bigger than Buckingham Palace. The book has everything one wants from a Falco ca...more
Lindsey
The books in the Falco mystery series are always an enjoyable quick read. Falco's sarcastic quips about his job and his wife are always entertaining. This one got a little confusing trying to keep everyone's names/jobs/relationships straight.
Lizzie Robinson
This is a wonderful evocation of Roman Britain through the eyes of the reluctant Anglophile Falco. LD must have been project managing her own Roman inspired self-build, such is the understanding of the Roman building industry (perhaps more than a little of the current ones too). It is Falco's wry & worldly approach to the task at hand that lifts this novel above the others in this genre. One of Helena's brothers is drawn in to this episode with some interesting results. We meet some old frie...more
Deb
I really enjoy this series! This time Marcus Didius Falco and his entourage have journeyed back to Britain, not exactly his favorite place in the Roman Empire. Vespasian has asked him to help sort out the mismanagement of a major building project. Falco takes his family, plus his sister Maia with him to evade the clutches of a spurned Anacrites. Murder and mayhem ensue as usual, and also as usual, Falco manages to uncover fraud, reveal murderers, and stay in relatively one piece. Aside from the...more
Brian
This murder mystery was a very interesting novel because it takes place during the Roman Empire. It begins when Marcus Didius Falco finds a dead body under his bathhouse floor after it was worked on. He and his entire family went to Britain to investigate the funding of the construction of the British king's palace. he also brings along his sister to protect her from a Roman official whom she rejected as a lover.

I had fun reading this book. I appreciated the list of characters at the beginning o...more
Argum63
I usually miss the fun of the family when the story takes place outside of Rome, but this time so many came along I didn't have to miss them. There was a brief start in Rome were not one but two cases take the Falco entourage off to Britain. The one personal case resolved in a rather pat way but the imperial one was interesting.
Penny
Marcus Didius Falco discovers that rank bring problems, the most gruesome of which is a corpse buried under the tiles of his new bath house. The contractors have fled to Britain where, as the Fates have it, Falco is ordered. A local chief and ally of the Romans is having a Palace built by the Emperor Vespasian. However, the project is running late, and fatal accidents keep happening. Falco, troubleshooting for the Emperor, is without an ally and now next on the list for assassination....
Jen3n
I like this whole series. It combines two of my favorite things: Classical civilizations and the classic detective story.

Set in ancient Rome and other classical locals, this book and the rest in the series follows Marcus Didius Falco as he accidentally solves murders, blackmails, scandals and robberies while trying to manage his household and his business.

Fun, light, not badly written, and right up my ally. Maybe yours, too. Who knows. There's no harm in reading something new.
Harry Addington
Another entertaining whodunit in ancient Roman times.
Rose
May 11, 2008 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
This book sees Falco and family (and many hangers-on) returning to Britain. I enjoyed learning about Togidubnus's palace and how construction of such huge projects operated. Like in her previous books, Davis provides gently mocking but persistent social commentry on our current world. I am keen to know what will happen with Anacrites when Maia and the family return to Rome.
Ruth
c2001: Can't believe I lost the first attempt at comments. Grrrrrr to GR! Not going through it again suffice to say that topic was good but plot not so much. The Marcellinus villa was supposed to be about twelve miles away – that was probably as the crow flew, and in my experience British crows were tipsy old bunches of feathers who could not use maps."
Judy
This is a bookclub selection for this month. Sounds like a very different type of mystery.
Set in about 70 AD, a Roman investigator travels to Britain to find a murderer and also suss out any financial wrongdoing with a large construction site. He takes his family with him. This man is very cynical and flippant. Don't think I like the writing that well.
Teri
The wise-cracking character of Marcus Falco has been established early in the series and does not falter here. The most interesting part is that this is set during the building of the Roman palace at Fishbourne, near Chichester, UK. Having visited here, the story of murder and conniving during the construction is particularly interesting.
Johanne
This was OK, by now Falco is middleclass, married and beset by the problems of fatherhood, which is fine but it does feel like some of the fun has gone out of the series. Its a reasonable read though, light, but well written and well plotted. Not a book for new converts to Falco's adventures but good for those of us working our way through.
Nancy
I anjoy period mysteries and I enjoy mysteries with a wry sense of humor. The marcus Didius Falco series meets both of those requirements. This book was fun and had me stopping to pull up a map of Roman Britain so I could see where most of the events were taking place. Now I want to read up more on the Roman period in Britain.
Phair
I usually love books set in Roman Britain and I adore Falco but this adventure was far from a favorite. I found the local color lacking, the family turmoil confusing and the mystery only so-so. While there was a map of the palace that is the main setting there was no map of the surroundings which would have been helpful.
Catherine
The cast of characters at the front was quite intimidating, but this was much easier to follow than the detailed list implied, even if tere were actually a pair of bodies in two widely separated bath houses for Falco to investigate. Good fun: I'll pick up any others from this series that happen to cross my path.
Cherie
A different story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Marcus Didios is a investigator/assassin for the Roman Emporor. He was sent to Britain, and he took his family. He was to investigate the building of a palace. It was witty and funny and I would read another in the series
  • Last Seen in Massilia (Roma Sub Rosa, #8)
  • SPQR VII: The Tribune's Curse (SPQR, #7)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
Lindsey Davis, historical novelist, was born in Birmingham, England in 1949. Having taken a degree in English literature at Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), she became a civil servant. She left the civil service after 13 years, and when a romantic novel she had written was runner up for the 1985 Georgette Heyer Historical Novel Prize, she decided to become a writer, writing at first romanti...more
More about Lindsey Davis...
The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1) Shadows in Bronze (Marcus Didius Falco, #2) The Iron Hand of Mars (Marcus Didius Falco, #4) Venus in Copper (Marcus Didius Falco, #3) Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)