Start by marking “Pop Internationalism” as Want to Read:
Pop Internationalism

Pop Internationalism

"Everything Mr. Krugman has to say is smart, important and even fun to read. Paul Krugman is no household name, but probably should be . . . he is one of a handful of very bright, relatively young economists who do everything well."
-- Peter Passell, "New York Times Book Review" "Pop internationalists" -- people who speak impressively about international trade while ignori
Published February 24th 1997 by Mit Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Internationalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Internationalism

Holly Cline
Jan 21, 2010 Holly Cline rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's true that it became repetitive at times, but that's the nature of putting together a collection of independent essays and speeches revolving around the same overarching topic. There will be overlap.
In particular, I enjoyed the essays that reminded us how the Soviet Union and Japan were perceived decades ago. With these not so distant in the past examples, I really think Krugman achieves what he set out to do. That is to take his economist's view of international
Rachel Green
Jul 13, 2015 Rachel Green rated it liked it
Although outdated (many of his predictions are irrelevant due to the passage of time), Krugman's book makes powerful statements about international trade and the status of global competition. I found the book to be interesting in topic, but rather dull to read in actuality. The essays, like many books comprised of economic essays, were repetitive. Overall - content was decent, but not particularly fun!
Randy Carlson
Oct 27, 2015 Randy Carlson rated it really liked it
Not bad, it's Krugman so it is whiny, self-absorbed and nasty. That said, he brings up good points on why economists are not taken seriously.
Lynne
Dec 17, 2007 Lynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to educate themselves about the true effects of trade
I'm almost done with this book, and I've really been enjoying it (though not speeding through it as it is absolute crap as elliptical trainer fare). It demands that you dust off some old macroeconomic concepts that probably haven't seen the light of day in a while, most importantly the way that trade always works to benefit both sides, even if one has absolute advantage in the production of every single, conceivable good and service. I don't know about you, but I think this is easily lost in tod ...more
Jonathan
Sep 28, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
It's well-written and a quick read. Krugman savagely demolishes bad arguments made by those that subscribed to "competitiveness" theories, thought that NAFTA would have massive impacts (good or bad) upon the United States, and made other errors. This short tome should be part of any international economics library. My only complaint is that, due to the book being a collection of previously published articles, some messages are repeated too frequently in the course of 220 pages.

Some may find the
Brandon
Jul 22, 2008 Brandon rated it it was amazing
This was a great series of essays on the marginalization of basic economic theory with respect to the growth of trade and its treatment in the media. I would definitely recommend this title to someone who is interested in a non-partisan view of the benefits of trade to the macroeconomy as well as the dangers of using phrases like "our nation's competitiveness" or "global competition" while discussing the topic. I understand that Krugman wanted to present this book in chronological order, but I t ...more
Paul
Dec 24, 2007 Paul rated it liked it
This is a good thing to pick up if you're interested in economics, have (or had) a basic understanding of it, and want to reawaken that part of your brain. Krugman writes in a very straightforward manner and makes some interesting points about globalism, international trade, NAFTA, the "Asian Tigers." Probably the most interesting points he makes here concern the way in which we perceive economic theories and problems, and he criticizes those who pursue populist policies when it comes to economi ...more
David
Jul 10, 2008 David rated it really liked it
If you aren't an economist, a lot of this might seem kind of wonky, but he lays out some basics of international economics as well as you are likely to get it without some more formal training. And he has this smug, self-assuredness about him that would be kind of annoying if you didn't agree with him (or, basically, share his attitude), but pre-NYT stint where he tends to be a bit more political and less interesting.
John
Mar 31, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Paul Krugman is a very intelligent economics author. In Pop Internationalism, he discusses common myths about globalization and applies theory and data to disprove many of them. His writing style is so loose and understandable that people who don't know anything about econ can easily understand his works. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Joshua Concepcion
Jun 05, 2013 Joshua Concepcion rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books that should be read and re-read. It's nearly 20-years old, yet it is as relevant as ever. It's been sad to witness a first rate intellectual like Krugman become the combative, irresponsible intellectual he is today.

Still, this book is great.
Dan
Nov 02, 2007 Dan rated it liked it
Most of the articles are a pretty good read. I might have gotten more out of it if I knew more about economics.
Jeff
May 11, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading for voters. I often find myself wishing old-line liberals read this book to understand the pie-expanding benefits of free trade.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013
Jorge Sanchez Tello
Jorge Sanchez Tello rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Roberto
Roberto rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Mark Bradley
Mark Bradley rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Expersso
Expersso rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Leandro Zis
Leandro Zis rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Stephen Bank
Stephen Bank rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Andrés Ochoa
Andrés Ochoa rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Karnajit Meetei
Karnajit Meetei rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Azim
Azim rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Mitchell London
Mitchell London rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Dennis Wong
Dennis Wong rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Tory
Tory rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Dominique
Dominique rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics
  • The World's Banker: A Story of Failed States, Financial Crises, and the Wealth and Poverty of Nations
  • In Defense of Globalization
  • Knowledge and the Wealth of Nations: A Story of Economic Discovery
  • A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World
  • Risk, Uncertainty and Profit
  • Exit, Voice, and Loyalty: Responses to Decline in Firms, Organizations, and States
  • Microeconomic Analysis
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • Why Globalization Works
  • The New Industrial State
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • Micromotives and Macrobehavior
  • An Economic Theory of Democracy
  • Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life
  • The Economics of Life: From Baseball to Affermative Action to Immigration, How Real-World Issues Affect Our Everyday Life
  • History of Economic Analysis: With a New Introduction
  • Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction
Paul Robin Krugman is an American economist, liberal columnist and author. He is Professor of Economics and International Affairs at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, Centenary Professor at the London School of Economics, and an op-ed columnist for The New York Times. In 2008, Krugman won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for his contributions ...more
More about Paul Krugman...