Start by marking “The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever” as Want to Read:
The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever

The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The time when "fashion" was defined by French designers whose clothes could be afforded only by elite has ended. Now designers take their cues from mainstream consumers and creativity is channeled more into mass-marketing clothes than into designing them. Indeed, one need look no further than the Gap to see proof of this. In The End of Fashion, Wall Street Journal, report ...more
Published August 22nd 2000 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Fashion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Fashion

Northanger Abbey by Jane AustenNever Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroEmma by Jane AustenThe Code of the Woosters by P.G. WodehouseGaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
Light Reads for Heavy Readers
85th out of 93 books — 26 voters
The Way Back to Happiness by Elizabeth  BassTulle Death Do Us Part by Annette BlairBest Supporting Role by Sue MargolisThe Pink Suit by N.M. KelbyStrapless by Leigh Riker
Dressmakers Dummy
24th out of 29 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Miriam
Sep 28, 2014 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alejandra Barco, designers, Carmen Lomana
Shelves: tfg
I had to read this book for a project and I found it really interesting, despite the fact that I'm not really into high fashion.

As some say, the title may lead to wrong expectations, the book is not about the end of fashion but about the end of high fashion as known at its beginning.
The book has 7 chapters and each of them is about a different brand and really detailed. It gives insights on events and relates them with the historical context which I found very useful.

I skipped parts that were n
Trena
I'm pretty sure I am the only person who would moderately enjoy "The End of Fashion" at this point, so if you have it on your to-read you should probably take it off. Writing in 1998 or so (the book was published in 1999), Agins argues that fashion is dead. Forever.

When you read the book you remember why this would be easy to believe: this was the height of Tommy Hilfiger Hegemony, as covered in a chapter of the book. Those ugly-ass oversized color-blocked sweatshirts were all over the damn plac
Blanca
The title is wrong for this book, but the writing is great and Teri Agins offers a great analysis and interesting review of the relationship between commercialism, industry and fashion with a capital 'F'.

What suffers in this book is that it is dated only because it's assumption that the impact of the 80's and 90's were resolute in fashion and industry forever. The book is 12 years old and so much has changed to bring fashion at a different place due to a new focus on consumers instead of exclusi
Raquel
The fashion industry has changed so quickly and dramatically in the past few years that many of the ideas in this book (published in 1999) are already out of date. Reading about how Ralph Lauren and Armani began their empires and how they manage to keep them was intriguing, but I wasn't entirely sure of Ms. Agin's thesis -- mostly because she never gave us her definition of the word/concept "fashion" (this sounds ridiculous, but such an ephemeral concept like fashion, which means different thing ...more
Dierregi
The book is composed by seven completely disconnected chapters. Reading other reviews, I gathered that it is actually a collection of “expanded” articles, published together under the incorrect title “The end of fashion”. The content of books actually suggests that “high couture” is finished, rather than fashion.

“High couture” means creation of exclusive, custom-fitted clothing. Until the 70s, it was common for rich women to get customized clothes, produced by famous dressmaker. Nowadays there
Katrina Sark
"Traditionally, the fashion system has revolved around the imperative of planned obsolescence – the most familiar examples being the rise and fall in skirt lengths, and for men the widening and narrowing of trousers and neckties. Every few years, when the silhouettes change, women and men have been compelled to go shopping and to rebuild their wardrobes to stay in style." (p.7)
Maggie
The title of this book and its back cover don't accurately describe it. I would call it a collection of vignettes describing the transformation of "high fashion" from the couture Parisian-based designers to the publicly traded Ralph Lauren/Donna Karans of the '90's. I really enjoyed the access that the author gives to the closed-off world of fashion. It was fun to imagine what it would have been like to shop at Marshall Field's in the 19th century, or to be in the design studio with Emanuel Unga ...more
Antonia
Required reading for anyone getting into the fashion industry. It’s not so much about the clothes but how they are marketed. The power is in the consumer to decide what’s in and what’s out. We all look for value. The rise of “cheap chic” has seriously injured the old school fashion system. Fashion is no longer exclusive to the upper crust. Fashion for the masses is the only profitable fashion.

These are some of the statements (paraphrased) in Agins’ book. This book is thoroughly researched and A
Jessica
Don't totally agree with the author's position but the book provides insightful industry history.
Robin
Nov 28, 2007 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fashionistas
Shelves: adult
This is a great book to read if you want to learn about the history of fashion and all of the big designers of the past before your more current "in" designers. This book gives some very interesting facts about the origins of fashion, couture clothes, the beginning of the runway and the ongoing feud between Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hillfiger. If you're a Project Runway fan like I am you should pick up this book.
Leyla
Although the book was written over a decade ago, I thought it was still quite fresh and filled with fashion history. Short bio on some of the most influential fashion designers and fashion business persons in the world. A comprehensible peek inside fashion marketing and going public on wall street, I thought it was a great representation on what goes on behind the making and selling of the dress.
Domenic Paul
The End of Fashion, by Teri Agins is a must read for any prospective designer, merchandiser, or other member in the fashion industry. Step into the lives of Donna Karan, Giorgio Armani, Zoran and others. I can't say to much without giving it away, but do keep in mind, contrary to the title, fashion has not come to an end, but is welcomed into a new era.
Cheryl
Jul 18, 2008 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: '90s nostalgists
A well written portrait of the fashion world as of 1999 whose outdated-ness can be summed up with this sentence, on page 152: "Glamorous as they are, fashion shows are fairly low-voltage to the general public, who will probably never see a tape of an Armani runway show." Yeah.
Jennifer Axcell
This book shows amazing insight into to how's and why's of fashion. It explains why we have closets full of clothes we will never wear (while still searching for the latest trend). Easy and great read if you have any fascination in psychology and the part it plays in fashion.
Ed
While this book is ten years old it is still worth reading. Terry Agins covered the business of fashion for the Wall Street Journal for years and she relates some of the huge changes that altered how clothing looked, how and where it was made and how much it cost.
Karen
A must read for anyone entering the industry.

It needs some updating as some major things have happeneed in the past 4 years, but the information it outlays is still essential to know, and very relevant in today's apparel market.
Chris
Unless you really like fashion, this book is pretty dry and the author a little long winded. Some of the insights into the character of the people behind the major fashion lines, Ralph Lauren, Tommy, etc. were quite interesting
Mary
Ms. Agins tells the real story behind the fashion business. I ate this one up. Her writing style is as elegant and unpretentious as the woman herself. My only disappointment is that she has written another book since!
Daniela
Un must para los que desean entender la industria de la moda actualmente, cambió mi perspectiva.
"At the en of fashion it takes a whole lot of clever marketing to weave ordinary clothes into silken dreams".
Ellen Gill
It was ok, sort of interesting, but there was too much gossip not enough fashion, and the argument that we've come to the end of fashion got lost and was never really made, or supported.
Melanie
Really interesting historical context for the contemporary fashion industry. I'm not going to lie: the last 30 pages of the book are far from fascinating, but I loved the rest of it.
Sarah Vendetti
fun - fun - fun history of overprice undervalued crap we buy in the name of vanity!
Everyone will follow my $10 rule after reading this!
Kate
A bit dry even for a fashion lover. Despite that, and the fact that the book is 10+ years old, it's informative and I found it worth the read.
Lisa
Dec 09, 2007 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fashion Lovers
If you are fascinated by the fashion industry I think you'll love this - so much good dirt
Winnie
Oct 07, 2007 Winnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Fashion People
Marketing perpectives on fashion a great bible for all the fashion marketers.
Fancy
Amazing book. I frequently use it as a reference.
Alexandra
a must-read for anyone working in the fashion industry
ereeese
Interesting read on where fashion is headed...
Marybec
who knew economics could be so fashionable?
Eve
Eve marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970s Paris
  • Extreme Beauty: The Body Transformed
  • Gothic: Dark Glamour
  • 20,000 Years of Fashion: The History of Costume and Personal Adornment
  • Chanel: A Woman of Her Own
  • Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation
Hijacking the Runway: How Celebrities Are Stealing the Spotlight from Fashion Designers Robert Lee Morris: The Power of Jewelry

“For all of its glamour and frivolity, fashion happens to be a relevant and powerful force in our lives. At every level of society, people care greatly about the way they look, which affects both their self-esteem and the way other people interact with them.” 1 likes