Start by marking “Beka Lamb” as Want to Read:
Beka Lamb

Beka Lamb

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Set in Belize, Central America, this book is the record of a few months in the life of Beka and her family. The story is built around Beka's victory over her habit of lying and her relationship with her friend Toycie. The politics of the colony and the presence of the Catholic Church are featured.
Published September 11th 1986 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonEast of Eden by John SteinbeckSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Trees on Covers
122nd out of 506 books — 108 voters
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge DanticatThe Farming of Bones by Edwidge DanticatWide Sargasso Sea by Jean RhysKrik? Krak! by Edwidge DanticatIn the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
Caribbean/West Indian Diaspora Literature - Women
28th out of 148 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Harry Rutherford
Beka Lamb tells the story of a few months in the life of a fourteen-year-old girl — Beka — and her slightly older friend Toycie, who both attend a convent school in Belize. It’s published as part of the Heinemann Caribbean Writers Series, and so it has one of those rather off-puttingly institutional covers that makes me feel like I’m back in school. And indeed I’m sure it works well as a GCSE set text: it’s short, it’s about a teenager, it has lots of themes that would provide material for class ...more
Zavia Currie
I have learnt that Beka is a girl living in a caribbean island. She lied about alot of stuff. She lied about not failing in some of her classes because she did not want her father to sending her to school. Her friend Toycie died and after her death Beka lived her life in honors of Toycie. It started when she won a essay contest. And Beka Beka changed from someone with low confidents to a high minded person.Death was one of the themes in the story.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
There seems to be a trend in post-colonial literature of juxtaposing a character’s coming-of-age with that of his or her country. This is one of those books: it’s set in mid-20th-century Belize, nearing its independence from the British empire, as seen through the eyes of 14-year-old Beka. Beka has just flunked her freshman year at the local convent school, and since free public education is not yet an option, it's not certain whether her father will let her try again. Meanwhile her best friend, ...more
Holly
Feb 20, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people going to Belize, fans of historical fiction, people interested in the Caribbean, women
This book has become a staple on the bookshelves of readers throughout the Caribbean. It is the first novel from leading Belizean writer Zee Edgell (In Times Like These, The Festival of San Joaquin, Time and the River). Beka Lamb is one of those rare books that really does appeal to all ages. It is used as a required text in high school literature classes in the Caribbean, as well as in college and universities around the world. It is also just a great read! The story centers around the title ch ...more
Argott
Years ago I met Zee Edgell. She was a real peach. I'm always in awe of little-known but influential books. Edgell is a "Caribbean" author, and when I read Beka Lamb she was the most prominent writer in the history of Belize. I wonder if that has changed? I enjoyed Beka Lamb, and I plan to read it again one day. She was a very clever lady.
Matt
I had to read this in 9th grade, and I hated it. I had to read it again in college, and I tried to go in with an open mind, and I thought it was terrible. Just one more "coming of age" tale, a genre which tends toward mediocrity except when the main character's name is Holden.
Karona Thompson
This book right here, this book saved me. Literally saved me from making a mockery of my school life. I was a total slacker from 7th grade to the 1st term of 9th grade, I didn't care one bit.
Then the second semester I read this book for literature class and it opened my eyes.
I, like Beka had a good life, a life many kids I knew didn't have. And I was ungrateful.
Reading about Beka I decided to quickly turn around my life, and make the best of a great opportunity.
Danni Duran
life for a young girl in that time was hard enough. life for a young girl at that time in the poor country that was Belize might have been even worse. Beka unlike others was very lucky. she suffered alot mostly she suffered because her best friends suffered but she made it through even the worst of times. she was wild like her bougainvillea plant but just as it straightened up, so did she. they both became beautiful and strong. this book clearly outlines the many problems our dear country was ha ...more
Margaret
Aug 07, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2008
Enjoyed this book - finished it right before our cruise ship stopped in Belize City so it was nice to be able to relate it to the actual place and see the sea wall, cashew trees & old colonial houses on the waterfront referenced in the book. My only complaint is that I felt like the author didn't exactly know how to end the story (a common writer's problem).
Alex
Story of a 14 year old in the waning days of British rule in Belize. Paints a decent picture of what that people's life was like pre-independence, though the story of Beka Lamb herself was not as interesting.
Dominique Clarke
I read this novel in the 8th and surprisingly liked it. Before reading this novel I thought it would be boring because of all the political symbols that are in the novel but, I really liked it. This novel has everything a reader can imagine; love,friendship,death,loss of innocence,politics and poverty. I would recommend it to any reader.
Isela
Beka Lamb is one of my favorite book. I read this book when I attended high school in Belize and as an adult living in another country. I realized that I developed two different perspectives but it does take me home when reading it.I literally added this book on my bookshelf as I am collecting books from Caribbean authors.
Vpk9
i learned that i must study my in work in orderr to make a progress in my education, i also learned thatif i want to have a boy friend to put my work before him. it is also importat for me to be wise and and make sure that if i do get pregnat during the relationship that i know what will happen.
Joanna
Loved reading this as my mom is from Belize and grew up in the same time period and went to the same school as the characters. Some of the people she told me stories about and places she went also appear in this book. And everytime they talked about cooking I craved a big Belizean feast!
rachelm
Not profound, but very sweet coming of age story set in Belize City.

I found the most interesting parts to be the descriptions of Belizean politics and the mixed racial and ethnic makeup of such a small country.
Alana
Jul 29, 2011 Alana added it
Another compulsory read. The losses and struggles in Beka's life allow the reader to celebrate with her as she develops, matures and gains her victory in the end. Toycie's experience was quite stirring.
Marte Patel
Part of Heinemann's Caribbean Writers Series. I read this for work, but I really enjoyed it! The story is set in Belize, and follows Beka Lamb through some turbulent months of her life. Highly recommended!
Mimi Ford
I actually did not finish this book, but the term has come to an end and exams have passed so we can consider it read. To be honest I haven't even gone half way, but what I have read was okay-ish.
Alexandra
I read this book for a class at DPU; my teacher grew up in Belize like the girl in the book. Basically, I thought this book was amazing and recommend it to everyone.
Oyin
when i read this book it was for school and i was really excited because the novel took place in my school St Catherine academy.all in all great read.
Evil
i enjoyed the Belizean flavor embed in this book! reminds me of growing in a very judgemnetal society! Especially in my Catholic schools!!
jonathan
nothing to really make this book stand out. probably would not have been enjoyable if i was not actually in belize at the time i read it.
Anikia Williams
i think that beka learned a valuable lesson not to lie and beka actually turned to be better than toycie isnt that wonderful.
Tristen
Very sad that Toycie died ; (
Books written by POC
My favorite book by a writer of color (one of my top 5 favorite novels EVER!) is Beka Lamb by Zee Edgell.
Barbara
Read it in college. Really, really liked it. I love the bit about the bouganvillea plant.
lauren
Apr 29, 2007 lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want a little world-opening
a great story, incredibly well-told. this is one of those books that transports...
Donyale
that life isn't what it seem we have more coming and more ahead of us...
Tashana
this is the best book i have read in all my high school years
Jovaughn
Its an exciting novel... waiting to read and experience it again
500 Great Books B...: Beka Lamb - Zee Edgell 1 1 Jul 24, 2014 07:35PM
Family life 2 20 May 09, 2011 12:04PM
  • Green Days by the River (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Harriet's Daughter
  • The Book of Chameleons (O Vendedor de Passados)
  • Crick Crack, Monkey
  • Easy in the Islands
  • Geographies of Home
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Boricuas: Influential Puerto Rican Writings - An Anthology
  • In the United States of Africa
  • Sastun: One Woman's Apprenticeship with a Maya Healer and Their Efforts to Save the Vani
  • An evening in Guanima: A treasury of folktales from the Bahamas
  • Annie John
  • The True History of Paradise
  • Two Pints
  • Hoe duur was de suiker?
  • Miguel Street