Start by marking “Theory and History: An Interpretation of Social and Economic Evolution” as Want to Read:
Theory and History: An Interpretation of Social and Economic Evolution

Theory and History: An Interpretation of Social and Economic Evolution

Like Hayek, Mises moved beyond economics in his later years to address questions regarding the foundation of all social science. But unlike Hayek's attempts, Mises's writings on these matters have received less attention than they deserve.

Theory and History should be required for any student of 20th century ideas.

Published June 28th 1985 by Ludwig von Mises Institute (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Theory and History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theory and History

Prashant
Dec 16, 2014 Prashant rated it it was amazing
One of the best works in Praxeology and Philosophy of History.

"Behaviorism proposes to study human behavior according
to the methods developed by animal and infant psychology. It
seeks to investigate reflexes and instincts, automatisms and
unconscious reactions. But it has told us nothing about the
reflexes that have built cathedrals, railroads, and fortresses, the
instincts that have produced philosophies, poems, and legal
systems, the automatisms that have resulted in the growth and
decline of empire
Allen
May 19, 2011 Allen rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio book over the past month. I loved this book because it satisfied a desire I have had for a while - to learn about important philosophies and their interpretations of history and economics. I give some highlights below in my own words, though they are not connected as well as they are in the book. The material and its presentation are just my cup of tea and I highly recommmend this book to anyone interested in these topics.

Von Mises believes individuals, their "judgments o
Vadim
Nov 12, 2015 Vadim rated it really liked it
Книга экономиста Людвига фон Мизеса "Теория и история" (см. русский перевод http://www.libertarium.ru/lib_evolution) посвящена методологии общественных наук и отстаивает тезис о том, что они нуждаются в другом методе, чем естественные науки, по крайней мере на нынешнем этапе развития. Для естественных наук -- объяснение через причинность, для общественных -- через обращение к разделяемым людьми идеям, их целям и убеждениям. "Действия людей определяют идеи, ... по крайней мере, при настоящем сост ...more
Markus
In this book Mises' debunks all bullshit determinism and fatalism in the modern theory of history - like Historicism or Marx pretty disturbing and almost religious historical materialism - while defending the methodological dualism in his lucid and rational way based on a clear logical structure.
Although this book doesn't deal directly with economics it's, in my opinion, nontheless one of Mises most enjoyable books simply for the vast amount of important topics Mises tackles and makes clear to t
Robert Taylor
Oct 26, 2011 Robert Taylor rated it it was amazing
The most important contribution by Mises to understanding why theory is essential to any address of historical inquiry. After Human Action, this is my favorite Mises book. I love his dry wit and humor and how extensively he delves into a destruction of all Karl Marx's ideas. The introduction by Murray Rothbard is also among the best summaries of the validity of Praxeology. Just great stuff!
Geir
May 17, 2012 Geir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye opening book in a class of its own. It cuts through a lot of the nonsense we are told and which is accepted as "good" political theory and history. Mises is never disappointing.
Keith Darrell
Nov 22, 2016 Keith Darrell rated it really liked it
This is simply an outstanding book that needs to be read and studied.

Political Individualism is on the wane and Political Collectivism is on the rise - and it seems the same basic parameters are almost identical 60 years later. In light of that, there's a sense in which Mises' work is the antidote to current Political Collectivism. There is, however, another sense in which Mises' work is wholly inadequate to strike the root.

First, the book is a methodological consideration on human action, whi
David
Feb 27, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Every so often I need a good intellectual challenge. Something that makes me use my dictionary and also challenges my thinking. This book will do that. In the Mises tradition he uses all of his favorite big words. The book is more about philosophy or epistemology than it is about history. We must understand how to think about history and how this impacts our interpretation and application of the lessons of history. The book succeeds on this point.

However, in this book Mises seems to make an att
Eric Sexton
Jan 18, 2015 Eric Sexton rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book that anyone with an interest in philosophy should read. Unfortunately, it's likely that only people who are already familiar with Mises and his work on praxeology will ever come across it.

It's highly unfortunate that the state of modern thought is still as hostile to Mises' ideas as it was when this work was written (if not more so). But regardless of your political persuasion Mises has some important things to say about the nature of human action. This book does a great
Bakunin
Although not one of Mises best works, it is worth reading. In it, Mises argues against various philosophies of history (such as historicism) and presents his own view: man acts and history is the result of such actions. These actions cannot be foreseen as no one is omniscient. Past events do not and cannot dictate the unfolding of future events because the summation of individual action is too complex.
Jun 17, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Read a while ago. I especially remember liking the takedown of Marxist interpretations of history in Chapter 7.
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Giyanto
Giyanto rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Davide Orsato
Davide Orsato rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
B.K. Marcus
B.K. Marcus rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Olav Dirkmaat
Olav Dirkmaat rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2009
Luis Barrueto
Luis Barrueto rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Šerifović Asim
Šerifović Asim rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Daniel Jacobs
Sep 27, 2012 Daniel Jacobs rated it liked it
von mises implies that he agrees with marx during his critique of marx. sly move
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
Joshua Hruzik
Joshua Hruzik rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Aeon
Aeon rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Appet
Appet rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2015
Pedro
Pedro rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2009
Marco De wit
Marco De wit rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
  • Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles
  • The Tragedy of the Euro
  • Money Mischief: Episodes in Monetary History
  • Economic Sophisms
Ludwig Heinrich Edler von Mises (German pronunciation: [ˈluːtvɪç fɔn ˈmiːzəs]; September 29, 1881 – October 10, 1973) was an Austrian economist, historian, philosopher, author, and classical liberal who had a significant influence on the modern free-market libertarian movement and the Austrian School.
More about Ludwig von Mises...

“Only stilted pedants can conceive the idea that there are absolute norms to tell what is beautiful and what is not. They try to derive from the works of the past a code of rules with which, as they fancy, the writers and artists of the future should comply. But the genius does not cooperate with the pundit.” 5 likes
“But even a victory of planning will not mean the end of history. Atrocious wars among the candidates for the supreme office will break out. Totalitarianism may wipe out civilization, even the whole of the human race. Then, of course, history will have come to its end too.” 1 likes