Start by marking “Alabanza: New and Selected Poems 1982-2003” as Want to Read:
Alabanza: New and Selected Poems 1982-2003

Alabanza: New and Selected Poems 1982-2003

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Alabanza is a twenty-year collection charting the emergence of Martín Espada as the preeminent Latino lyric voice of his generation. "Alabanza" means "praise" in Spanish, and Espada praises the people Whitman called "them the others are down upon": the African slaves who brought their music to Puerto Rico; a prison inmate provoking brawls so he could write poetry in solita ...more
Published November 17th 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Alabanza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alabanza

Kathryn
The title poem brings tears to my eyes. It's a most noble tribute to the victims of violence in Afghanistan and the World Trade Center.
Hank Horse
I've had the pleasure of hearing Martin Espada read several times, and he's a great poet. Seeing him read "The Prisoners of St Lawrence" with a youth dance troupe and acoustic bass accompaniment a few years ago in Amherst, Mass was one of the most transcendent performances I've ever seen, it left me in tears it was so beautiful. This is an excellent selection of his work, highly recommended.
Emily Wallace
I had to read and analyze Espada's poems for my poetry and poetics class. This is a thought-provoking collection that brought both tears, laughter, and anger at the prejudices shown to Spanish-speaking people.
Ash
A poem from the book, so you can decide for yourselves:

"This is the year that squatters evict landlords,
gazing like admirals from the rail
of the roofdeck
or levitating hands in praise
of steam in the shower;
this is the year
that shawled refugees deport judges
who stare at the floor
and their swollen feet
as files are stamped
with their destination;
this is the year that police revolvers,
stove-hot, blister the fingers
of raging cops,
and nightsticks splinter
in their palms;
this is the year
that darkskinned m
Ginny
Aug 17, 2013 Ginny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets, people who enjoy poetry, others with interest in Hispanic culture/oppression
Recommended to Ginny by: poet friend
Shelves: poetry
I never thought I would enjoy political poetry so much. While that aspect was certainly very pronounced, and at first (in Espada’s early works) a little off setting, the poems themselves were successful. By that I mean to say that the statement Espada wanted to make didn’t interrupt the flow of his poems or the direction they needed to go in.

Being both Hispanic and a recent resident of New York state, I found the poems especially dear to me. Each character in Espada’s poems has a name and a his
Michael
Oh…these poems and this poet - sang powerfully and well. i had come across a poem a few years ago by this author and loved it. But I just began reading these poems of his, this year. What a collection. His use of metaphor and clarity in the service of justice is striking and strong. Every time. He writes and tells the stories of those whose stories would be untold in public places if not for him. These stories need to be told. And I am so very glad I read this.
Madeline
I liked most of the poems in this book, but none of them really struck me as amazing except this one. I'm still awed by how it manages to be scary and romantic at the same time.

"When the Leather is a Whip

Read it again.

See what I mean?

Read for: Surviving the American Dream
Cyrus
A contemporary classic by one of America's most powerful contemporary poets--eloquent, rich, compassionate, with flashes of dark, subversive humor. Espada's experience as a tenant lawyer gives him a distinctive vantage on community, politics, and the working world. The title poem is the finest and most effective poem on 9/11 out there.
Mel
possibly even better than The Republic of Poetry, but only because it contains so many wonderful accounts as his time as both tenant laywer and poet.... by far one of my favorite poets to watch here at the G R Dodge Festival, maybe tying with N. S. Nye.
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this book of poetry, they either made me laugh or cry or shake my head in confusion.
Took the class at Chautauqua with Mr. Espada as teacher, it was a great time, he can't be described in a few lines. I'll add something later.
Barbara Lovejoy
I first learned about this author when he was being interviewed on TV a number of years ago about the great work he was doing in schools to inspire primarily minority students to write. It was enjoyable to read some of his poetry.
nicole
Oct 27, 2007 nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody!!!
Shelves: poetry
wow, this is an INCREDIBLE collection of poetry by martin espada. his voice is such a presence, it sprawls across the page and throughout the book. i found myself laughing and then nearing tears - sometimes within one poem. amazing work.
RUSA CODES
This was one of the 2004 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
Mamie Morgan
"For the Jim Crow Mexican Restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Where My Cousin Esteban was Forbidden to Wait Tables Because He Wears Dreadlocks:
Elizabeth
Some absolutely gorgeous juxtapositions and use of language. I love the poems about Espada's family.
Robert
A very fine collection by a Latino American with an affinity for political statement.
Tricia Wagner
Ya - I and many of my students love the power and perception in Espada's poetry
Ashley
A collection from my favorite political poet, a former tenant lawyer.
R.G. Evans
Each poem a gem. Lovely, powerful book.
Ruth

Para siempre.
Erin Paasch
Erin Paasch marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Athene
Athene marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Lorena
Lorena marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Chaneli
Chaneli marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • Selected Odes
  • breaking poems
  • Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness
  • Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems, 1988-2000
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • Unfortunately, It Was Paradise: Selected Poems
  • 19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East
  • Does Your House Have Lions?
  • Teeth
  • Selected Poems: 1931-2004
  • The Selected Levis
  • Rose
  • When My Brother Was an Aztec
Sandra Cisneros says: “Martín Espada is the Pablo Neruda of North American authors.” Espada was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1957. He has published thirteen books in all as a poet, essayist, editor and translator. His eighth collection of poems, The Republic of Poetry, was published by Norton in October, 2006. Of this new collection, Samuel Hazo writes: "Espada unites in these poems the fierce al ...more
More about Martin Espada...
Imagine the Angels of Bread: Poems The Republic of Poetry City of Coughing and Dead Radiators A Mayan Astronomer in Hell's Kitchen: Poems Poetry Like Bread: Poets of the Political Imagination from Curbstone Press