Start by marking “Tell No Lies” as Want to Read:
Tell No Lies

Tell No Lies

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Jack Hilliard has the perfect life. A family man with two young sons and a supportive wife that he has loved since the day they met, he’s also on the verge of being elected District Attorney of St. Louis. As secure at home as he is in the courtroom, he has plenty to fight for and nothing to hide.

But everything in Jack’slife is not nearly as perfect as it seems,as he learn
Published May 13th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tell No Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell No Lies

Becky
I kept waiting for something to happen in this book, but it never did.
Colleen
I normally go for books with HEA endings as I like to escape the everyday ho-hums of life. Whether it be a romance or a mystery/romance, most of the books I read have that HEA ending. This is not the case with Tell No Lies.

The legal aspect and the suspenseful plot of the book was wonderfully written. The courtroom drama was very realistic and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main character, Jack Hilliard, has it all, a great job, a beautiful wife and two great sons. He is admired by everyone for hi
Karen San Diego
Tell No Lies by Julie Compton.

I had looked for weeks for this book (I read through ebooks; paperbacks here in the Philippines aren't exactly cheap and readily available if you come looking for a particular title). I already have the sequel Keep No Secrets but I was very reluctant to read it until after I finished this one. I was glad I came across Scribd, there are like, millions of free books to read, plus, it's free and easy to use. Alright, enough plugging. I just want to drive the point home
Beth Evant
**Contains Spoilers**

Well, I have to say that this book frustrated me greatly,but in the end, it was okay. It was kind of slow to begin with.

I almost stopped reading it in the beginning because Jack frustrated me so much. If you want to read a book about an idiot, this is it. Jack is a selfish, stupid, asshole in my eyes. He tries to come off as an honorable man with good intentions, but to me he is anything but. I kept reading and I was glad that I did. The second half of the book is better th
Monique
Okay so its Saturday night, been out all day and now home doing what I do best, reading..and lo and behold this is my 200th book review WOW..Cant believe I have read that many books and I still feel there is so so much more for me to read its daunting and exciting all at once..And although this was a milestone book it was pretty run of the mill and had potential to be amazing but fell short somewhere..Okay so this book helps raise alot of poignant moral questions on the death penalty and cheatin ...more
Wendy Cartmell
This is an interesting novel. I love the legal aspects of the book and the tussle Jack has with his principals verses his ambition to become District Attorney. Ms Compton’s writing of the love scenes and Jack’s inner emotional struggles are, without doubt, skilfully and beautifully written. My only reservation is that perhaps this book doesn’t quite know what it is. A legal thriller or a love story? Whilst Ms Compton does both extremely well, I picked this book because it was a legal thriller, n ...more
Jen
WoW! This was a good book.

Jack is married to a wonderful woman--Claire, and he has 2 kids (michael & jamie). He loves his job (assistant district attorney) and his life is pretty good.

However, his boss, the DA, steps down and he asks Jack to run in his place. With the help of his friends, he runs and wins. He gets a lot of help from his friend Jenny.. a lot more than he should. He winds up having an affair with her. Even though jenny is also friends with his wife.

In a complicated twist of ev
Janice
Apr 22, 2014 Janice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I got about half way through his one, but I just wasn't in the mood for a "good guy" who finds himself committing adultery. Maybe I will pick it up later--
Moneka Gamble
This was a refreshing twist on every thing immoral about our society. The reader was meant to feel the connection Jack and Claire shared and the Author delivered with clarity so much so that you felt her pain at his betrayal. Vivid writing and capturing the significance of a scene is the approval of this review...muddy transitions and sometimes misunderstood dialogue is why this is not a five star review...two things I am looking forward to see improve in the next read of this series.
Jenn
Wasn't really impressed with this one. I guess you take your chances with free books.

Where I expected political intrigue, there really wasn't any. It was the story of an assistant DA, who decides to run for the DA's office when his boss resigns. Then it's the story of the same man cheating on his wife, which becomes the alibi his mistress needs when she's accused of murder. Betrayal of the wife seemed heartless.
Gabriela
One thing I was correct, Tell No Lies is indeed slow paced. The plot does not occur until you're half way in and you've read too much about whether Jack would run for D.A. or not. This fact alone I think is the reason why I felt as if I was dragging my feet. My likeliness for Jack could not be more than one quarter. Would be less if he weren't such a people pleaser and a human (a person who commits mistakes) after all. Credit where credit is due, Compton's writing is vivid. I could almost feel C ...more
Elaine
Jack is happily married to Claire but fantasying about his beautiful colleague Jenny who obviously thinks about him. He walks a fine line with her in their friendship. People are seeing the signs but Jack scoffs at their comments, believing he’s immune to temptation.

He’s been nominated to run for the vacating District Attorney’s position by none other than the incumbent DA himself who believes in Jack but the only thing that might hold Jack back is his stand on the death penalty. The DA Earl is
Teresa B
May 22, 2010 Teresa B rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teresa by: FWA workshop
This legal thriller is written masterfully in the way the author reveals snippets of information at precisely the proper time.

Julie Compton is a fabulous writer. She knows how to immediately grab the reader's interest, and her plot is revealed with great skill and pacing. Her attention to detail is complete, but never overwhelming.

She is also personable and generous with her time and encouragement for aspiring writers. I sincerely appreciate the insight and instruction she provided me in a work
Patrice Hoffman
This novel is about an A.D.A. named Jack Hilliard who is an up and coming rising star in the prosecutor's office. He's so much of a big deal that he's encouraged to run for the newly open seat as District Attorney of the city of St. Louis. Julie Compton paints Jack as being a standup guy with a strong moral compass. He has a loving wife and a strong family unit up until he lets temptation gets the better of him.

I wanted to give this book 3 stars because it is solidly written with great characte
Beth Schneider
This is an intriguing novel. While originaly drawn to this legal thriller partly because it was set in St. Louis, the story drew me in and kept me interested. However, while I know it is probably petty, the fact that it's based in the Midwest & that the author insisted on using British English throughout really threw me and continually interrupted the flow of the story for me. I can accept that she wants to use the term "district attorney" instead of "circuit attorney" which is used in St Lo ...more
Lorin Cary
This is a good read. Jack Hilliard is a prosecutor, an amiable guy with a loving wife (Claire teaches law) and two beautiful kids. But he makes mistakes that many husbands will recognize as things to avoid doing: he decides to run for DA without telling his wife and he embarks on the lust vessel for Jenny, a close joint friend. That mix by itself would be enough to keep the pages turning, especially as Compton drives the action. Toss murder into the hopper and you have a dandy of a read. Jack is ...more
Lisa
A legal thriller with a twist,This books subject would make a lively dinner discussion,what would you do if everything you believed in was thrown to the side,because of temptation and ambition,After your wrong doing you realise that you hold the key to someone's freedom,would you stand-up and admit your wrongs to the world and possibly loose everything you love and worked for or keep silent.
When you make your choice and do the right thing,you find the strength to weather the storm,only to find o
Carrie
I really thought as I was reading Tell No Lies that I wasn't going to enjoy it. And to be honest it took quite a while for me to really get into the story. I wanted to yell and scream at Jack, tell him not to be stupid.

Okay so I didn't see that ending coming. I knew something was going to come out of (view spoiler)
Laren
I thought this was a mystery about a married man running for District Attorney who has a fling with a fellow lawyer and then finds himself her only alibi when someone turns up dead and she is accused. Instead it is more of a character study about how he arrived at his choice for the night in question. Can he keep this from his wife while still making sure his lover doesn't remain falsely accused? Should he? There's an incidental battle of morality regarding the death penalty also thrown in to he ...more
Guy Allen
I could only make my way through a third of this book before I gave up. By that point Jack Hilliard had kissed a drunken Jenny and was feeling guilty, afraid to tell his wife, and fretting over running in an election for District Attorney. I'm sure these dilemmas would be resolved by the end of the book, but I just didn't care wasting any more time reading it to find out.
The grammar, punctuation, and phrasing is fine. The text has been well-edited. It is difficult to care about the characters. I
Keris
Julie Compton was a trial attorney for the US Department of Justice. Now she's a writer and stay-at-home mother. Tell No Lies is her first novel and it employs her legal background to great effect.

Jack Hilliard is a 35-year-old assistant DA who loves his wife, Claire, and enjoys his job. He gets on well with his boss and is never asked to trial cases which compromise his moral integrity.

Jack comes across as a stand-up guy, and it takes a skillful author to make the reader believe in his fall fr
Kylie G
I'm only giving it two stars because of the twist at the end. quite frankly it was a very slow book and couldn't of cared less whether jack got the da job or whether he acted as alibi for Jenny and risk his marriage
Melanie
I got this book as a free e read book. The book was an easy read and flowed nicely. Enjoyed the characters.
Jackie
Sep 11, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever wondered, "Why in the world would someone do that?"
A great debut novel that starts out slowly and builds momentum, ending with a surprise twist. It's the story of a man in love with his wife but obsessed with another woman. As his self-control crumbles and his life unravels, he never loses the reader's empathy, thanks to Compton's skillful characterization. Although this book is classified as a legal thriller, it's more about interpersonal relationships and personal motivations. Compton has a knack for putting you inside her character's head so ...more
Patsy Fox
This was a very good book. I don't like men who cheat on their wives, but I found my self feeling sorry for Jack. He was torn between two women. Can you love two women at the same time? Yes I think you can, It's just a situation that's going to be hard to deal with and someone always gets hurt. This story pulls you into a love affair, a courtroom, teaches you some of the election politics and family hurt. I recommend you read. I was a little disappointed how the book ended, I have to wait for th ...more
Lori
A good ending but very drawn out and hard to get there
Saysha Wilson
This story is about a guy that has the perfect life..he's a District Attorney, he has a beautiful and devoted wife ...everything is perfect and in place until he starts to flirt with a colleague, Jenny Dodson. Their flirting turns into a kiss the kiss turns into an affair and the affair turns in obsession. One night of sex and lies creates the 'unperfect' world for Jack.

Tell No Lies has courtroom drama, lies, sex, betrayal and murder.

This was an enjoyable read with a twist you would never expect
Cory Hansen
This was a great book! I could relate to Jack, not that I have ever had an affair, but I could totally understand where he was coming from. The love he had for Claire, so can relate. However; Jenny was to blame as well, and they both knew it. This book made me crying for the destroyed life and the good life he had, and ruined. Claire's trust in him is going to take along time, I'm anxious to read the next to see what Jack will do and if his marriage will be saved.
Emilie Richards
I had the pleasure of meeting Julie when we were both speaking and signing at the St. Louis Big Read Festival last year. I knew I would enjoy her first novel, and I wasn't mistaken. Many first novels have a host of problems which were notably absent here. Julie's a pro and it shows. She's also an attorney, and while some legal thrillers overwhelm the reader with detail, this one didn't. Thanks, Julie. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Rapa
This debut novel by Julie Compton view link is an excellent whodunit. The story is written from the male protagonist view. Jack Hilliard is elected District Attorney of St. Louis. His apparently perfect life is challenged when he becomes obsessively attracted to an old friend and colleague, Jenny Dodson. When Jenny is accused of the murder of one of her clients and Jack is her only alibi the trial and outcome renders a good read.
Jack Hilliard in 'Tell No Lies' ? 1 7 Jul 06, 2013 10:26AM
  • The Good Daughter (Vista Security, #1)
  • The Bet
  • A Stranger's Touch
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Ring of Lies
  • No Time To Run
  • Powder Burn  (Burn with Sam Blackett, #1)
  • Admissions of Guilt
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate Series)
  • Shades of Gray
  • Ransom Dreams
  • Swimming Upstream
190701
Julie Compton is the internationally published author of TELL NO LIES, RESCUING OLIVIA, and the just-released KEEP NO SECRETS (a sequel to TELL NO LIES).

What reviewers say about TELL NO LIES:

"Compton's debut is a taut, tense cautionary tale complete with courtroom drama and a surprise ending." Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

Tell No Lies is "an absorbing account of an honourable man gradually yield
More about Julie Compton...
Rescuing Olivia Keep No Secrets Tales from the Crib Best Intentions FLYING LESSONS, a short story