Start by marking “Serenity: The Official Visual Companion” as Want to Read:
Serenity: The Official Visual Companion

Serenity: The Official Visual Companion

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  2,275 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Five hundred years in the future, Captain Mal Reynolds and the crew of the transport-for-hire ship Serenity take on two new passengers and soon find themselves in a crossfire between an invincible military force and cannibalistic savages. Writer/director Joss Whedon, creator of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel", makes his long-awaited feature film directorial debut wi ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serenity

Parka
Nov 15, 2009 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: movies

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

erenity Official Visual Companion is like the director's commentary that goes on DVD. In this book, it's an in-depth interview with director Joss Whedon on the world of Serenity.

Joss Whedon talks about everything inside and outside of the movie. He talks about his inspiration, writing style, favourite scenes, Firefly (of course!) and its world, challenges, casting and all the other usual things you find in a "making of" book.

The 40 pages of interview provide a v
Vinton Bayne
Feb 15, 2017 Vinton Bayne rated it it was amazing
This has been an amazing resource for my Firefly podcast: Mighty Fine Shindig, as we covered the movie in our last episode #MFshindig
Kyle Wright
Feb 06, 2009 Kyle Wright rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Firefly and Joss Whedon
An interesting look into the production of Serenity, this book includes the screenplay, interviews with Joss Whedon about the making of the movie, and various insights, factoids, and pre-production artwork. It gives us a glimpse into how the project came to be; the work of developing the characters, transforming Firefly from the small screen to the movie theater, and on the set stories. I really enjoyed learning more about this movie and am saddened that the TV series was so short lived. It was ...more
Clare
Dec 20, 2007 Clare rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Firefly.
The visual companion to the movie is excellent-- I wish it had interviews with more people than just Joss (did I just say that?) but it has new stuff that is so great to know. (Did you know Mal and Zoe were in a PoW camp together? Did you know this show owns my soul?)

In my copy, Amazon receipt: gift from Catherine Thangathurai.

"To Chels. For murdering you with Nathan jealousies and for Xmasy Spirity Goodness. Shiny Christmas! From Cate."
Jun 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The highlight of this book is the interview with Joss Whedon about the journey to making the movie. The script itself is interesting for the scenes that didn't make the final movie and the translations of Chinese expressions but it's the interview and behind-the-scenes stories and artwork that make this worthwhile.
Anastasia
Dec 27, 2009 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firefly
A shiny in-depth look at the production of Serenity the movie. There's even a screenplay complete with storyboards for some scenes. Lots of photographs and screenshots in full color. Oh and an interview with Joss Whedon himself! Tons of insights and facts about the movie. Must have for any Firefly fan.
SA
Aug 11, 2013 SA rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I didn't even realize this existed until I snatched it up at the library. There's some wonderful backmatter in here, and I have to say, reading the script really puts things in a stronger context. I didn't even mean to read the script, but then my eye scanned over the first lines and I was done for. Great companion to the 'verse and the film.
***Dave Hill
Nov 10, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: text, favorites
(Original Review from Sep 2005)

Ah. Truly sweet. A lengthy intro from Joss about the making of the movie and the Firefly universe, followed by the screenplay (including a few deleted scenes), all interlaced with numerous gorgeous color shots. A wonderful book for anyone with interest in the movie, or the ‘Verse.
Nikki
Aug 26, 2009 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Like the official companions to the series, the Serenity companion has the shooting script and various extras -- Joss Whedon's thoughts on stuff like art and music, lots of pictures, galleries of designs and stuff, bits about the background of the show and the movie... Well worth having, if you're a fan, and beautiful too.
Jenifer
Dec 17, 2015 Jenifer rated it really liked it
I loved all the pictures and behind the scenes information that made the movie much more than it actually was. I read the script along with movie and that was fun to see where the actors deviated from the script.
Liana
May 15, 2007 Liana rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just, wow. Amazing companion to a beautiful movie. Spectacular work, guys; but it makes me even more sad that it ended. But you can't stop the signal... maybe there's still hope.
Alexandra
Jul 18, 2007 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Read for reference for a paper I wrote in a film class on Serenity and Alien. Totally worth it if you loved the show or movie--Joss lends a lot of insight to the history, production aspects, etc.
Sylvester
Jul 24, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, art
A nice little guide with many pictures from the scenes of the series. Not a lot of content but the visuals were nice.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Dec 16, 2012 Kirsty (overflowing library) rated it really liked it
The majority of this is the script for the film. I did like it however because it gives you the translations for the Chinese which is used throughout and it can be quite funny. A must for a real fan
Ellen
Mar 23, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
A must read for any Firefly fan. Loved the small details and anecdotes. Script reading not my thing.
Craig
Apr 06, 2008 Craig rated it liked it
Recommends it for: DIE HARD fans of Serenity the Movie
Shelves: mcnerdigan-s-pub
A script and treatment of the movie and mostly re-hashed production materials that were, nevertheless, interesting to revisit.
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Laura Thornton
Laura Thornton rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
George Hal
George Hal rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
The
The rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Scott Nunley
Scott Nunley rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Theyda
Theyda rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2012
Theresa Fleurette
Theresa Fleurette rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Nesia Bamfield
Nesia Bamfield rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Leisha Kapor
Leisha Kapor rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Michelle Biddix-simmons
Michelle Biddix-simmons rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2013
Loyd
Loyd rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Sarah Friedrich
Sarah Friedrich rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Serenity
  • Serenity Role Playing Game
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Complete Slayer: An unoffical and unauthorised guide to every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
  • The Physics of the Buffyverse
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

“Now there’s us, staking out our piece of cinematic turf (might be small but
it’s ours). And the music has to fit the vision as specifically as it did for [Star Wars and The Matrix.] OUR music comes from THEIR music, this scrappled bunch. It is spare, intimate, mournful and indefatigable.”
7 likes