Serenity: The Official Visual Companion

Serenity: The Official Visual Companion

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,561 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Five hundred years in the futures, Captain Mal Reynolds and the crew of the transport-for-hire ship Serenity take on two new passengers and soon find themselves in a crossfire between an invincible military force and cannibalistic savages.Writer/director Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, makes his long-awaitied feature film directorial debut with...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serenity

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

erenity Official Visual Companion is like the director's commentary that goes on DVD. In this book, it's an in-depth interview with director Joss Whedon on the world of Serenity.

Joss Whedon talks about everything inside and outside of the movie. He talks about his inspiration, writing style, favourite scenes, Firefly (of course!) and its world, challenges, casting and all the other usual things you find in a "making of" book.

The 40 pages of interview provide a v...more
Kyle Wright
Jun 05, 2009 Kyle Wright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Firefly and Joss Whedon
An interesting look into the production of Serenity, this book includes the screenplay, interviews with Joss Whedon about the making of the movie, and various insights, factoids, and pre-production artwork. It gives us a glimpse into how the project came to be; the work of developing the characters, transforming Firefly from the small screen to the movie theater, and on the set stories. I really enjoyed learning more about this movie and am saddened that the TV series was so short lived. It was...more
Clare
Dec 20, 2007 Clare rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Firefly.
Shelves: teevee-books
The visual companion to the movie is excellent-- I wish it had interviews with more people than just Joss (did I just say that?) but it has new stuff that is so great to know. (Did you know Mal and Zoe were in a PoW camp together? Did you know this show owns my soul?)

In my copy, Amazon receipt: gift from Catherine Thangathurai.

"To Chels. For murdering you with Nathan jealousies and for Xmasy Spirity Goodness. Shiny Christmas! From Cate."
SA
Aug 12, 2013 SA rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I didn't even realize this existed until I snatched it up at the library. There's some wonderful backmatter in here, and I have to say, reading the script really puts things in a stronger context. I didn't even mean to read the script, but then my eye scanned over the first lines and I was done for. Great companion to the 'verse and the film.
Nikki
Like the official companions to the series, the Serenity companion has the shooting script and various extras -- Joss Whedon's thoughts on stuff like art and music, lots of pictures, galleries of designs and stuff, bits about the background of the show and the movie... Well worth having, if you're a fan, and beautiful too.
***Dave Hill
(Original Review from Sep 2005)

Ah. Truly sweet. A lengthy intro from Joss about the making of the movie and the Firefly universe, followed by the screenplay (including a few deleted scenes), all interlaced with numerous gorgeous color shots. A wonderful book for anyone with interest in the movie, or the ‘Verse.
The highlight of this book is the interview with Joss Whedon about the journey to making the movie. The script itself is interesting for the scenes that didn't make the final movie and the translations of Chinese expressions but it's the interview and behind-the-scenes stories and artwork that make this worthwhile.
Allons-y!
A shiny in-depth look at the production of Serenity the movie. There's even a screenplay complete with storyboards for some scenes. Lots of photographs and screenshots in full color. Oh and an interview with Joss Whedon himself! Tons of insights and facts about the movie. Must have for any Firefly fan.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
The majority of this is the script for the film. I did like it however because it gives you the translations for the Chinese which is used throughout and it can be quite funny. A must for a real fan
Alexandra
Read for reference for a paper I wrote in a film class on Serenity and Alien. Totally worth it if you loved the show or movie--Joss lends a lot of insight to the history, production aspects, etc.
Liana
Wow. Just, wow. Amazing companion to a beautiful movie. Spectacular work, guys; but it makes me even more sad that it ended. But you can't stop the signal... maybe there's still hope.
Craig
Apr 06, 2008 Craig rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DIE HARD fans of Serenity the Movie
Shelves: mcnerdigan-s-pub
A script and treatment of the movie and mostly re-hashed production materials that were, nevertheless, interesting to revisit.
Ellen
A must read for any Firefly fan. Loved the small details and anecdotes. Script reading not my thing.
Rose
Jun 10, 2014 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
The script of the "Serenity" movie with stills, concept art, and more. thought it was pretty good.
Katharine
Simply fantastic. More needs to be published about this fandom. WE NEED MORE!
Alice
Anything to do with Joss, Firefly or Serenity I am there!
William Herbst
Screenplay, pictures and essays about Serenity - well done.
Amber
One of the better film guides. And so much pretty!
Loved the movie and the TV series.
Keith Cameron
A Browncoat's wet dream.
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rylee
Rylee marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Serenity
  • Serenity Roleplaying Game
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.6)
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Visual Companion
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • The Physics of the Buffyverse
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
  • The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'...more
More about Joss Whedon...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous

“Now there’s us, staking out our piece of cinematic turf (might be small but
it’s ours). And the music has to fit the vision as specifically as it did for [Star Wars and The Matrix.] OUR music comes from THEIR music, this scrappled bunch. It is spare, intimate, mournful and indefatigable.”
7 likes