Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,618 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
The definitive comics collection of all things "Buffy" starts here.

This first massive volume begins at the beginning--The Origin, a "faithful" adaptation of creator Joss Whedon's original screenplay for the film that started it all. The newly chosen Slayer's road to Sunnydale continues in Viva Las Buffy and Slayer, Interrupted. Next, Sunnydale, the Scoobies, and an Englis
Published July 3rd 2007 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Ana Filipa Yes, you can. The Omnibus 1 collects stories from before Buffy went to Sunnydale, so it doesn't interfere with the other books. Volumes 2-7 collect…moreYes, you can. The Omnibus 1 collects stories from before Buffy went to Sunnydale, so it doesn't interfere with the other books. Volumes 2-7 collect stories from Season 1 to Season 6. (less)

Ronyell
Buffy

Introduction:

Now, I have to tell everyone who reads this review something…I am a HUGE FAN OF “BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER!!!” I have always loved that show and when I heard that they were making comic books out of this series, of course I had to check them out! So, when I picked up the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume One,” I was wondering what this volume was going to be all about and to my excitement and delight, this volume detailed the early years of Buffy Summers when she first mo
Adam
Aug 10, 2007 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I have a soft spot for the Buffy comics for two reasons: 1) I like the show to an embarrassing degree and 2) I was an assistant editor on the comics (in fact, I'm credited with that in this volume though I don't think I actually worked on any of the issues in this collection -- they all came before or after my time on the title).

Anyway, I liked this collection. They are good comics. Not great, but good. They capture something of the spirit of the show even if they can't quite capture the show's
Allison (Crazy Something Maybe Reviews)
I loved 75% of this, but I found one of the longer stories, Viva Las Buffy!, extremely hard to follow. That is why I am only giving this 3 stars. The story flipped back and forth between the perspectives of Buffy, Pike, and Angelus while trying to balance multiple story-lines and I was confused for most of it.

I'm also not sure why this started with a story about Spike and Dru. I could not care any less about them than I already do so I was mostly uninterested throughout.

Buffy: The Origin and Sl
Liz { nvl.tea }
I'm going to be upfront and mention that probably any and all Buffy and/or Angel graphic novels are going to be totally biased on my part. I kind of have a borderline unhealthy obsession with Buffy...so yeah. I'll still try to be critical, but they're pretty much all going to be five star ratings from me. ;)

As in my "Charmed" graphic novel reviews, I'll be breaking these down by issue. I don't discuss too much of storyline because I like to stay mostly spoiler free. ;)

1.) "All's Fair"
Loved star
Isa Lot
Apr 28, 2015 Isa Lot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que maravilla. Como me ha gustado. El primero no tanto, pero los demás me han fascinado, me atrapaban. Recomendable.

Las historias de éste volumen rellenan los huecos que quedaron sin explicacion entre la pelicula de Buffy y la serie, por ejemplo hablan del novio que acabo teniendo Buffy en la peli y todo lo que hace desde que se entera de que es cazadora hasta que llega a Sunnydale.
Brittany
Being a huge fan of the Buffyverse and Joss as a whole, there is nothing about this collection that I dislike. The artwork is gorgeous, even with the different artists styles changing up every comic or so. The stories fit in beautifully with the Buffy series, lending witty comments, quirky facial expressions, and story arcs that tie everything together.

I suppose you COULD read the comics in the order that they actually came out, if that's what strikes your fancy. However, if you're a fan of the
David
The Buffy Omnibus collects the old Dark Horse Comics series that preceded Buffy: Season Eight. These stories were not written by Joss Whedon or with Whedon's input, which shows as there isn't the characteristic clever dialog or planting of plot seeds that emerge later.

Omnibus Volume 1 tells Buffy's "origin" story, which means the first part is a graphic adaptation of the original movie, and the rest is the events between the end of the movie (when Buffy burned down her old high school) and the b
Molly
Dec 29, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Challenge #49 A book based on or turned into a tv show (POPsugar reading challenge 2015)

(I FINALLY FINISHED THE CHALLENGE!!!)
Rafel
description

The pre-Sunnydale story of Buffy and how she came to be the slayer of the Vampyres. (Dawn included)
Andrew
Jan 16, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
For me, and I'm sure this is the case for a lot of cats, Buffy the Vampire Slayer exists within a sort nostalgic tesseract-something that doesn't exist as we first knew it, when we were first introduced back in the 90's. No, those days only exist on re-runs found within whatever streaming service one employs for their viewing pleasure. Like Seinfeld on Hulu. Only, thanks to Dark Horse Comics, this pop culture phenomenon is still out there and keeps building upon Joss Whedon's brainchild. This fi ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ Home library

This graphic novel starts before Buffy goes to Sunnydale and contains her life in L.A. after Merrick, her Watcher, tells her that’s she’s the new Slayer. There are some Sunnydale scenes interspersed here and there and it flips back and forth between the stories and, after Origin, Giles being tested to see if he’s worthy of being the Slayer’s new Watcher.

All’s Fair ~ A Spike and Dru story set at the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair. Man, I love these two crazy vamps.

The Ori
Jim
Several good stories that take place prior to Season One. In all of the Buffy stories, she is still living in LA, and will not move to Sunnydale until right before Season One begins.

All's Fair.
An enjoyable Spike & Dru story that takes place in 1933 at the World's Fair. This story was also found in the TPB Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru .

The Origin.
This is considered to be a more faithful adaptation of Joss Whedon's Buffy screenplay than the movie was. Pretty cool.

Viva Las Buf
Lucy
Jan 03, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I bought this comic in a fit of Buffy withdrawal, but didn’t have very high hopes for it. After all, it’s not cannon, and most of it isn’t even written by Joss Whedon—though I believe he did approve most of it. But after watching the Buffy movie, I was really intrigued to see the original script adapted as a comic.

For some reason I don’t understand, the book opens not with Buffy, but with a one-shot story following Spike and Drusilla. Maybe if this story was setting up the baddies for the rest o
Lori
Feb 02, 2008 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008january
Bleh.

As I've mentioned before, comics really aren't my genre. If the story is compelling enough, then I'm able to see the appeal. If not, well, this is a decent example.

The Omnibus volumes are supposed to showcase the best of the Buffy comics, in chronological order. They're not written or even approved of by Joss (or, with a couple of exceptions, anyone affiliated with the show). And as much as I'm a tad obsessed with most things in Whedon's world, these just don't fit.

I'm all about back story,
Farren
Some of these stories I really liked, while some dragged it down as a whole. I love that the movie story line was included, as I am a fan of both the movie and the TV series (and always thought the two weren't connected as well as they think they were.) Since I stopped liking the show during the college years and quit watching all together when that whole thing with Dawn showing up and Glory (I think that's her name) was introduced, I was a bit sad to see they threw Dawn in like she was there al ...more
Pamster
Jan 01, 2008 Pamster rated it really liked it
I read many but not all of these Buffy comics when they came out, and it's really exciting to go back & read these. The Omnibus editions repackage the comics in chronological order according to the timeline of the show. At this volume's end, the stories are still pre-Sunnydale. I finished and immediately wished I'd bought both available volumes. Also, I'd like to mention, for all the comics writers reading this, I hate in-jokes in comics, like references within the story to Joss or to the ac ...more
Ellen
Feb 18, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

This isn't going to change the world or anything, but as a fan of the show I enjoyed these stories. "Dawn & Hoopy the Bear" was a little much, but whatever. It does make me want to watch the show again. Anyone who is a fan will enjoy this. You get a little more background on what happened between the film and the show.
Nicole
Apr 26, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, graphic-novel
I remember seeing the cult classic movie ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry in the theatre while I was summering with my Grandparents in 1992. Yes, I realize this makes me *ancient* but I loved the story of a cheerleading-loving California girl who learns the world is bigger than she expected—and there’s VAMPIRES. It was pretty much my life (except for the vampires part). I later heard that there was a show that featured Buffy and while it wasn’t until college that I m ...more
Emily
Aug 03, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Volume One of the Graphic Novel Omnibus of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a real treat. It contains five story arcs which all take place prior to Season One of the Buffy television show. This volume contains The Origin, which is a re-worked version of the Buffy Movie. Or, maybe I should say, it's the original treatment by Joss that the cheesy movie was adapted from?
Also included are an adventure with Spike and Dru at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, "Viva Las Buffy" which takes place after The Origin
Soobie's heartbroken
Uhm, 2,5 stars to be honest.

It's always difficult to read American comics for me. I'm not used to them. In addition, sometimes the English they use is incomprehensible and it makes me feel more stupid. As if the 20 years I've spent studying English were completely useless.

Anyway. I loved Buffy as a TV series. I started reading Season Eight and Nine but the Italian publisher gave up on them. SIGH! I hate when it happens! Then I bought this one second-hand.

I don't usually like the art of America
Greg
Aug 03, 2014 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never really intended to read these older Buffy comics but Dark Horse Digital had a crazy sale a while back and I decided to bite the (silver) bullet and buy them. They are a nice distraction from life but so far nothing really spectacular. I do appreciate that they are connected and try to create a continuity, canonical or otherwise, with the show and, in the case of this first collection, the movie. The most successful was "Slayer, Interrupted" and of course reminded me of the excellent epis ...more
David Miller
Oct 17, 2015 David Miller rated it liked it
It was interesting to take a look at the history of pre-Sunnydale Buffy; unfortunately, I found the quality of the stories in this volume to be inconsistent. "The Origin" in particular was a disappointment, not only in the storytelling (jerking about with a lack of coordination) but also in the surprisingly crude art. I've come to expect Buffyverse vampires to look a certain way, and I'm not sure what those fuzzy green ape-things were supposed to be.

Of all the Buffy-centric stories inside, I fou
Courtney
Aug 07, 2015 Courtney rated it liked it
I could be biased because I'm already a fan of the Buffyverse in general. I did enjoy this book, but it had a few shortcomings.

The listing for this book is a bit misleading. Even though it states "by Joss Whedon", he didn't actually really write the script in these issues. However, Buffy: The Origin is based on Whedon's original film script.

Starting with a Spike and Dru story didn't do anything for me. It almost made me want to stop reading the rest of the book (and as a matter of fact, I put it
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 20, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
A collection of stories by various authors filling in Buffy's history before she arrives at Sunnydale, and before the start of the tv series. Includes a new version of the movie, without the camp feel that undermined it.
Like any anthology, it's uneven, but anything Buffy is good Buffy in my opinion. And I loved the story about Dawn and Hoopy Bear!
Ashley
The "volume" contains 13 issues of Buffy so I'm not going to break it down issue by issue due to the large number of writers and artists. This will be a broader overall review.

I found this graphic at a used book store and it was well within my price range for once, especially considering that I trade in a few books for store credit and would have out of pocket expense. I have been a Buffy fan for quite a few years and I enjoy books and comics that take me back to Sunnydale for a visit after all
Dan Wilson
Jul 11, 2015 Dan Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Not quite canonical, but pretty close. This volume assembles comics by various authors and artists published by Dark Horse Comics between 1999 and 2003. This omnibus series assembles its contents not in the order in which they were published, but in order of the chronology of the TV show on which these comics are based and inspired. This volume's stories take place before the show's first season, which aired in 1997. In part because these stories were written between two and six years later, the ...more
Kate
Feb 27, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2015
This particular volume makes a nice companion to the series. It fleshes out some things that happen before the series, explaining what happened to Buffy's first Watcher and how the school was burnt down (although it fails to explain why she was expelled). Additionally, the Spike and Drusilla stories were very amusing. I didn't like the inclusion of Dawn, though. And I personally wouldn't consider the series of comics (especially these early ones) as canon, as the authors appeared to have no inte ...more
Jesus Flores
Mar 12, 2015 Jesus Flores rated it liked it
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1
So a group of stories of Buffy before she arrives to Sunnydale
First story is Spike and Dru causing chaos on the Chicago fair, not really interesting story and the summoning part kind of lame. (1 star)
Next is the movie adapted to comic with some differences, we see buffy finding she’s the slayer and killing the big Vampire Lothos, that one was good 4 stars
Then is Viva las Buffy, where Buffy goes to Vegas with boyfriend Pike to find and destroy a vampire la
Ashley
Honestly? These early comics are completely awful: the art, the stories, everything. (The third star is for the presence of the original comic adaptation of what the 1993 Buffy movie should have been like.)
Michael
Buffys loses Mundwerk und manch kerniger Spruche ist gut, aber Artwork und Story sind einfach nicht mein Ding. In sehr kleinen Portionen okay, 2,5 Sterne.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • Angel Omnibus
  • Spike: Asylum
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Angel & Faith, #4)
  • Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 2 (Season 9, #2)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • Chosen (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #13)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus (7 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 5
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 6
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 7

“Konu bu değil ki. Her zaman bir isim vardır. Lincoln. Hitler. Gandhi. İsim, dehşete sebep olabilir, hayrete...Bazen de harika şeylere, isim yapmaya çalışan milyonlarca insan var. Hayal dahi edemeyeceği şeylerle karşılaşan insanlar. En kritik anda, kendi isimlerimiz bile insanların bizi ayırmak için kullandığı seslere dönüşür. Savaşabildim mi? Faydam oldu mu? Kız kardeşlerime destek oldum mu? Yoldaşlarıma, çocuklarıma, sümüklü böcek kabilesine...Her birimizin içinde zincirin bir halkası var. Adamın dediği gibi, ya varlığını hissedersin, ya da bilmezden gelirsin. Hissetmeye çalıştım. Bir kadın gibi karanlıkla yüzleşmeye çalıştım. Bundan fazlasına ihtiyacım yok. Beni hatırlamak zorunda değilsiniz. Kim olduğumu bile bilmiyorsunuz. Ben biliyorum.” 4 likes