The Shootist

The Shootist

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  34 reviews
This is the all-time classic novel chosen by the Western Writers of America as one of the best western novels ever wrttten. It is also the inspiration for John Wayne's last great starring role--the acclaimed 1976 film, "The Shootist" This special commemorative edition includes a brand new introduction by the author's son, Miles Swarthout, in which he talks about his father...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1975)

Mike (the Paladin)
I got to know about this book from the movie (staring John Wayne). If that's also your knowledge of the story all you really have is a sort of general outline of the story. It's also an outline that leads you to a different destination than the story in the novel will.

This is another book where I find myself hesitant to say things such as "I like it", or "I enjoyed it" as it is a dark and even sad story with few bright corners. I suppose it might be best here to say what's different from the mov...more
Clarence Tinklebottom
This book is a trick bag. On the one hand, it is very much like the movie starring John Wayne; the dialogue is mostly verbatim. On the other hand, the book is very different from the movie. So the trick is trying to divorce the movie from the book when the two are so similar yet so different. If you can manage that, it’s a terrific read. The prose is lean and spare. It doesn’t quite get into the heart of the main character, but it that’s one of its strengths. It gets you close enough to J.B. Boo...more
J. Cruz
A masterpiece of a western. It wasn't voted the best western of all time for no reason. JB Books is an dying gunslinger returning to El Paso to live his final days with cancer. In his last days he must submit to the life that he has led and the impression that other people have of him. How does a man who has killed thirty men face his own death not at the hand of a gun but due to the deterioration of his own body. Masterful.
Miles Swarthout
The Shootist was the winner of the 1975 Spur Award from the Western Writers of America as the Best Western Novel of that year. In a recent 60th anniversary poll among its expert members, the Western Writers also ranked The Shootist #4 among the best Western novels ever written. This novel was also quickly made in 1976 into one of John Wayne's very best Westerns, as well as being Duke's last film.

The Shootist is John Bernard Books, a man of principle and the only surviving gunfighter in a vanish...more
Bill
I did not know the classic John Wayne movie was based on a novel until my colleague Rich Heldenfels let me borrow the book. I always thought that the Duke knew he was dying of cancer when he made the film and that it had been written with that in mind. It turns out I was wrong. Wayne didn't even have cancer at the time of production. In any case, it was a pleasure to read this book. I couldn't help but seeing John Wayne and Lauren Bacall in my mind, even though their characters are younger in th...more
Edward Erdelac
I'm afraid the Don Siegel John Wayne movie colored my enjoyment of this a bit as well. It's superbly written, but awfully cynical compared to the uplifting movie. Books is the same man as the Duke portrays, but Gillom is extremely different - I didn't care for him at all in the novel version, and the ending bleeds a star off my rating.
Matt
I've been a big fan of Loius L'Amour and other "traditional" Western authors for most of my life, but have only recently come to the somewhat "revisionist" works of Charles Portis and Glendon Swarthout. THE SHOOTIST, in particular, is a deeply cynical book with several highly unlikable characters and a final page that made me cringe. It's short, it's violent, it's upsetting, and yet also somewhat moving and over far too quickly.

I've never seen the John Wayne movie version, but reading online pl...more
Joe  Noir
This is an outstanding novel about true courage.
Jeremy
Jul 14, 2014 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeremy by: Dennis Cutchins
Shelves: classics, fiction
The Shootist is a fascinating study of the end of an era and one of the best westerns I've ever read. Set at the end of the era in 1901, JB Books is an anachronism who came to life after Swarthout read an article about prostate cancer being one of the main killer of cowboys in the old west.

Books is the real deal, but instead of glorified violence we get descriptions of how he can't urinate without pain. I love books like this that twist the traditional image of something.
Doug
Just read this one on my tear through some Westerns. I really enjoyed it -- maybe really 3.5 stars. Great prose and characterization. Perhaps it's story is a little too straightforward and simple -- a dying gunman (a "shootist") holes up in a boarding house, getting his life in order and pursuing a death that maintains his dignity.
David Berardelli
This story probes the mind of a dying man. In this case, the man in question is a notorious gunman who has discovered he has reached the final stages of a fatal disease. The story deals with his own personal "last stand," as he faces his rapidly approaching death on his own terms. Thought-provoking and dark, the book is well-written and suspenseful, with finely drawn characters. More detailed than the 1976 film, the story depicts the character and the inner workings of the western killer, fleshi...more
Biju Bhaskar
'The Shootist'is a tautly written book. JB Books is a renowned gunman, a specimen of a dying breed at the dawn of the 20th century. Afflicted by a terminal illness, that promises a painful and lingering death, JB Books chooses to exit with dignity. His code of honor does not permit him to kill himself. News of his impending demise attracts unsavory characters who hope to make a name killing the greatest shootist of the time.

Glendon Swarthout describes the last days of JB Books culminating in a...more
Dave
Great story and great reader. Heavy disclaimers for language and intimate descriptions.
Scott Willis
A halfway decent book, it has some excellent one-liners. I've never seen the movie, but I'm certain John Wayne doesn't fit the part. He exibits more braggadocio than this character has.
As for the precise description at the end: I'm sure it was titillating at the time, but we've moved on to more greusome things these days. The change in style causes an interruption in the otherwise consistent flow of the book, and in my opinion should have been omitted. A simple narrative of the gunfight would h...more
Kristy
Short and harsh. This book is not a happy read, but it is interesting. The suffering of an ex gunfighter dying of prostate cancer is not something I'd normally expect to read about. It was interesting to me that I liked the shootist character better than the angry young man who wanted the gunfighters weapons after he died. I wanted the shootist to have more time to do the things he wanted to make peace in his life, but I guess like life, this book isn't fair.
Doug
Without a doubt one of the best westerns ever written. JB Books is a hero and an outlaw at the same time. The book explores a man who has outlived his time. It is a bittersweet story of an old man passing into history and a young man who wants nothing more than to follow in the old mans step's. In the end he makes the right decision. The book is full of symbology and is a story of passage for the western frontier from the "wild and wholly west" to a civilized country.
Huw Collingbourne
What a gem of a book! Whether or not you like Westerns and whether or not you have seen the (rather good) John Wayne film based on this book, you should read this. The premise, an ageing gun-fighter dying of cancer, may not sound like an entertaining read. On the contrary. This slim novel is both funny and sad and totally absorbing. Just great.
Mike
The book is not like the movie and, whether you think that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is still a good story. It is one of those anti-hero Westerns in which the good guy might be the bad guy, vice versa, and who knows who wins in the end. Some similar, more recent books are Welcome to Hard Times and The Sisters Brothers.
Elliott
Despite affectations like pretentious word choices (seemingly intended to demonstrate Swarthout's familiarity with a dictionary) and overly technical descriptions of gunshot wounds, "The Shootist" is a solid and enjoyable take on the Western novel.
Adam Bender
A short but very sweet tale of a gunslinger who learns he has cancer. The vultures fly in but J.B. Books stays strong. Gripping from start to finish -- I read it in about a week! Great characterizations and exciting action. My favorite western yet!
Dan Wagner
A good story written in sturdy prose that occasionally rises to the unexpected. Very cinematic, so I'm not surprised it was made into a movie so soon after it was written. I want to see it, though it sounds like it's very different from the book.
Jacob
A fairly easy read, as most good westerns seem to be, but really well-structured and dark in tone. It's a goddamn shame this is out of print, but it's well worth searching out at a library if possible.
Bob
Thin at times, but other times, the book portrays a dynamic range of emotions. The final chapter really closes the deal on the book being one of the better literary westerns.
Dan Yingst
Meh, inconsistent. Swarthout likes to us medical language to heighten the violence, but I found it bland. I wanted to like the book, but...nope
Chris Gager
I think I read this book and liked it but the memory is clouded by seeing the movie too(also good with the Duke's last role). Date read is a guess.
Jack

A unique Western, but one that really didn't grab me. Three stars and a potential place on my "Maybe I Should Reread This Book" list.
Cindy
This was a very good book. I highly recommend it, especially if you want to try a Western genre. It's a quick read.
Ella
Well written, action packed classic Western tale. It is short, sweet and gets to the point. Good Read!
  • The Searchers
  • The Day the Cowboys Quit
  • Valdez Is Coming
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • Shalako
  • The Big Sky
  • In the Rogue Blood
  • Warlock (Legends West, #1)
  • Zeke and Ned
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Riders of the Purple Sage
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • Mountain Man
  • Resolution (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #2)
Glendon Fred Swarthout was an American writer. Some of his best known novels were made into films of the same title, Where the Boys Are, The Shootist and They Came To Cordura.

Also wrote under Glendon Fred Swarthout. Twice nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendon_...
More about Glendon Swarthout...
Bless the Beasts and Children The Homesman A Christmas Gift Where the Boys Are They Came to Cordura

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid-a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them.” 2 likes
“Everybody has laws he lives by, I expect. I have mine as well."
"What laws?"
Bond Rogers was dismayed. Yet she waited, evidently as curious as her son.
"I will not be laid a hand on. I will not be wronged. I will not stand for an insult. I don't do these things to others. I require the same from them.”
0 likes