Start by marking “The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds on Prayer: Experience the Wonders of God Through Prayer” as Want to Read:

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  800 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Learn the secrets of effective prayer for every need. The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds on Prayer is the definitive Bounds collection in modern English. Eight classic explorations cover every aspect of prayer in a readable way. Included in this volume are 120 entries on what this great pastoral leader taught about the essentials, necessity, possibilities, power, purpose, ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Baker Books (first published January 1st 1920)

Wendy
Jul 26, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book as part of my daily quiet encounters with God. Excellent book on the vitally important privilege of communicating with the Almighty, very personal God. I would highly recommend this book to all of my friends. It will challenge, chide, and encourage simultaneously!
David Mullen
If you want to know just how much things have changed in the last 150 years, in terms of spirituality and faith, you should read this book. Then again, if you want to see just how little they have changed you should also read this book, for the challenges Bounds lays forth are essentially the same ones we would lay before Christians today. Questions are the order of the day: Do you want to lead,Do you want to pastor, Do you want to preach, teach, be a missionary, see God change the world...Bound ...more
Clarkboys6
Jul 12, 2007 Clarkboys6 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone hungering for a deeper walk with the one true God
How much do you value your sleep. If you decide to go on this journey with E.M Bounds, be prepared for a life-changing experience. For anyone desiring a deeper walk with Christ and a more intimate relationship with God, this book is required reading. No longer will you be content with a few stolen moments in distracted prayer. Bounds will convince you that your powerless walk and constant hunger for more of God is but a symptom of a stunted prayer life. If you are content, complacent, and satisf ...more
Kathy
Jul 23, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you reevaluate your concept of prayer and your faith in God's willingness and ability to answer those prayers. Bounds conveys the fact that superficial prayers are empty and pointless, and that earnest prayers are an essential part of a Christian's relationship with the God of all creation. You won't read this and come away with the same mindset of "surface" praying. It contains all eight of Bounds' books on prayer. Highly recommended!
Ron Murphy
Feb 23, 2014 Ron Murphy rated it it was amazing
My favorite Christian book of all-time...if you want to learn how to pray, this is the only book you'll need (besides the Bible, of course....Occasionally, I want to go back and reread works that have moved me and encouraged me in the past. And if it's a personal relationship with God you want, there is no better "how-to" book. Church life I'm kinda tiring on but growing a deeper relationship with God is something I'm always desiring.
Heather
Apr 28, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's say that if prayer were hard work (and it is), this is the whip that drives me to my knees. It's divided into sub-sections that make it a book that can be worked through over a long period of time (I still am). I love that he calls prayer a "struggle" and a "wrestling" with God. Read it. You'll be glad you did.
Keila
May 08, 2012 Keila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No personal library is complete without The Complete Works of E. M. Bounds on Prayer! It will forever change what you think about prayer. It will change your life.
Bret James Stewart
This is a collection of eight short volumes by E.M. (Edward McKendree) Bounds. He is less known than many Christian authors. He wrote other books, but he always loved prayer, and one gets the feeling that his books on prayer were his favourites. Bounds was a Methodist Episcopal South pastor and writer in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The denomination was also known as the Southern Methodist Church, and it is now defunct; through various mergers, it survives today as the United Methodist Chu ...more
Cindy
Sep 14, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough about this book. Introduced it to my husband and he agrees, it is the best book on prayer. It is challenging to read. But so worth it. If one is interested in prayer, this is a must read book.
Andy Anderson
Jan 14, 2010 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
Great book on a man who prayed great prayers. Awesome book on prayer.
Bendick Ong
Nov 03, 2013 Bendick Ong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds is a compilation of the eight books written by the author over more than two decades from 1907 to 1931. It is a comprehensive book which covers many aspects of prayer—a necessary if not most crucial exercise in the Christian faith. This review focuses on the first three articles of each of the eight books found in this omnibus, seeking to understand the author’s position with regard to the subject discussed.

Although the major points brought up in all eight books
Marshall
Jan 30, 2013 Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review focuses on the POWER THROUGH PRAYER (Book 7)

"No man can do a great and enduring work for God who is not a man of prayer, and no man can be a man of prayer who does not give much time to praying." (p. 463)
E. M. Bounds, Power Through Prayer, was truly one of the most stirring, challenging, and convicting books on prayer that I have ever read. Having been an associate pastor for a few years now, I know by experience the difficulties and realities of hard ministry work as well as the nec
Howard
Feb 02, 2016 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
challenging.
Bill
Aug 10, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This anthology on prayer is at once compelling and convicting, edifying and encouraging, and a call to Christians to lead a fuller, more devoted, and more effective prayer life. Half-hearted, hypocritical prayers that ask in generalities and expect no certain answer will never move heaven or shake things up on earth. The call is for earnest, scriptural, specific prayer that calls on God to fulfill His promises, meet the needs of His church, and convert sinners to Christ.
Candace Jane Coran
Prayer is my all in all, to experience the depths of God...

I would recommend this book to all in the modern church of today...holiness is not to be left to early history books, we all need a revival in our prayer closets today. I want all of God in my life and prayer must be number one in securing His presence.
Jesse
Dec 10, 2011 Jesse rated it liked it
This book makes a fantastic daily devotional. He speaks the truth with love about prayer without being legalistic but still very determined. This allows the pages to comfort us in the knowledge of God's presence and spur us on toward growth to maturity which only comes through time spent in communion with the Lord Himself.
Rod Jetton
Apr 27, 2014 Rod Jetton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book gave me so much more faith in my prayers. It is 7 books packed in to this volume and each of them will show with scripture how God answers our prayers. It will make you a better Christian and a better praying Christian. I try and read this book each year.
Peter Yoshonis
Apr 02, 2013 Peter Yoshonis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading through the epic became a walk through the life and experiences of EM Bounds. I cannot point to one significant aspect of this work, but through reading it th call to prayer and images of inspiration have grabbed me... Loved this!
Gail Davis
Jun 16, 2016 Gail Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been the best series of books I have ever read on prayer. Very inspiring and compelling. You can't read these books without being convicted to get on your knees before God.
Mike Carr
Oct 31, 2012 Mike Carr rated it it was amazing
Here is a great classic that has been updated with contemporary English that makes it easier to read and ponder the riches contained within the pages of this collection of essays on prayer.
Sandra
Dec 08, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an awesome and insightful book... difficult to read the first time but mighty and powerful blessings flow from the words... Take your time with this one.
John Richardson
Jun 25, 2012 John Richardson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prayer is the lifeline of the spirit and E.M. Bounds is the long-standing authority on prayer. This complete volume should be read yearly in my opinion.
Layne
Sep 03, 2012 Layne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author has mentored and inspired me over and over. His work is life giving and a great manual for someone hungry to learn about getting answers to prayer.
Michelle
May 09, 2008 Michelle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The best book on prayer I have ever read! I am slowly making my way through this one, but I have learned so much already.
Bruce Gumbert
Jan 06, 2016 Bruce Gumbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, christian
This a classic book collection on prayer. If you struggle with this topic then you should read this collection.
Shiloh
May 17, 2011 Shiloh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an amazing resource, I would read a chapter for my devotional time. It was very inspiring.
Lynette Karg
Nov 16, 2013 Lynette Karg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A weighty read, but worth the effort. Must be digested is small portions.
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer by E. M. Bounds (1990)
Jeff Noble
The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer by E. M. Bounds (?)
Shelly
Jul 23, 2014 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On page 493 -will be glad when I finish! It is a great book though.
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • The Blessings of Brokenness: Why God Allows Us to Go Through Hard Times
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Disciplines of a Godly Family
Edward McKendree Bounds was a Methodist minister, revivalist, author and lawyer.

Unsuccessful in the California gold rush of 1849, E.M. Bounds returned home to Missouri and became the state’s youngest practicing attorney at age 19. In his early twenties he was deeply impacted by the Third Great Awakening, and at age 24 he was ordained for ministry. During his lifetime he pastored churches, traveled
More about E.M. Bounds...

“Topical preaching, polemical preaching, historical preaching, and other forms of sermonic output have, one supposes, their rightful and opportune uses. But expository preaching—the prayerful expounding of the Word of God is preaching that is preaching—pulpit effort par excellence.” 5 likes
“God shapes the world by prayer.” 4 likes