Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, #6)

Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan #6)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Plot summary:

Once again, the setting of the novel is rural California, where Chan has been invited as a houseguest. He meets a world-famous soprano, Ellen Landini, who is murdered not too long after the meeting. Chan does not have far to look for suspects -- the host is her ex-husband, as are three of the other house guests. Her servants, entourage and husbands all come

Published February 1st 1988 by Popular Library (first published 1932)

Hannah
I've completed my highly enjoyable journey with Inspector Charlie Chan, and I will miss this wise and witty detective. In this offering, Chan is invited to Lake Tahoe to help find the missing possible son of his client. "Possible" because his client doesn't even know if his son exists at all. His ex-wife, a world renown singer, seems to have kept his birth secret from her husband for almost 20 years. Now he wants the truth, and thinks he will get it with Charlie by his side (not to mention the w...more
Jim Dooley
The last of the Charlie Chan book series is not the best, but it is still a worthwhile read. The mystery is not as engrossing, although the characters are well-developed. (Two of them were especially memorable for me, and I have no doubt that we would have been seeing them again in a future offering had the series continued.)

My sole complaint with this one is the last-minute introduction of a personality trait in a key character that we had not seen before. It seemed much too convenient. That sa...more
Kathy
Alas! I have come to the end of the Charlie Chan mystery novels. Charlie has come to feel like a good friend. He is bright, modest, quick, clever, and very human.

This book is every bit as good as its predecessors. Plenty of potential suspects. Lots of hints and allusions. A final twist at the end.

I wish Charlie good fortune in his home on Punchbowl Hill.
Pulpjunkie
Scilla
After hearing his former wife, opera singer Ellen Landini, may have been pregnant when she left him, Dudley Ward is determined to find his son. He invites Charlie Chan along with Ellen's three later husbands to his large house on Lake Tahoe. Ellen soon shows up with her current flame and his sister. When Ellen is found shot dead on the balcony just as another flame is arriving by plane to take her home, there are many suspects. They include the four ex-husbands, the new boyfriend and his sister,...more
Jack
This is the last Chan book written (#6) and it is a good tale. Populated with an assortment of characters and many possible suspects, the complex story had you second guessing til the end. The story and dialog stood up well even though it was written in 1932. The setting was at rustic Lake Tahoe. The last of the series, I found this in a little bookshop in Burlington, VT. I believe there are a couple I may have missed, so I am still on the search!
Jim
Early 1930s murder mystery set at Lake Tahoe with too many clues and too many suspects without alibies. Inspector Chan patiently sorts through them to find the murderer. Interesting tension between the Americanized Chan and a Chinese servant who has resisted Americanization. The Inspector uses a scientific technique that the author describes as being still experimental, which technique now appears in many police procedural novels and TV shows.
Lisa Kucharski
The last in the series (a short series) of the famous Charlie Chan mysteries. An interesting mystery that has the extra element of a Chinese servant in an American household butting heads with Chan. The mystery is great, but the element of watching two individuals with Chinese backgrounds coming to the US and deciding how to embrace (or not embrace) American culture. Well worth the read.
Sonnenallee28
Nice detective story from the early 1930s. Nicely written with a lot of great dialogues.
Madalyn Koval
The last Charlie Chan.. and my least favorite. But still a fun book to read. Charlie is faced with several hard decisions and seems to take forever to solve this one. Read all five Chan books in a row, maybe not the best way to go as you start to see the similar plot line. But again a fun read for over the summer.
Ken
5 stars for the puzzle, 3 to 4 stars for the rest. A fun retro read, and the puzzle kept me involved and guessing (always wrong, of course) until the very end.
Jim
The last, and definitely the best, of the Charlie Chan mysteries. A satisfying mystery with somewhat of a surprise ending.
James
Have read several times over the years. Never tire of the oldies but goodies.
Read1000books
6th and final of the Charlie Chan mystery novels by his creator.
Jexsy
Jexsy added it
Mar 25, 2014
D. Martin
D. Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Michael Preston
Michael Preston marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Cj
Cj marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Earl Derr Biggers was born in Warren, Ohio on August 24, 1884. Years later, while attending Harvard University, Biggers showed little passion for the classics, preferring instead writers such as Rudyard Kipling and Richard Harding Davis. Following his graduation from Harvard in 1907, he worked briefly for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and at Bobbs-Merrill publishers. By 1908, Biggers was hired at the...more
More about Earl Derr Biggers...
The House Without a Key (Charlie Chan, #1) The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2) Behind That Curtain (Charlie Chan, #3) The Black Camel (Charlie Chan, #4) Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan, #5)