Start by marking “Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)

Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  2,198 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
From the national bestselling, award-winning author of Dragon Champion-second in the fantastic new Age of Fire series.

Flung to freedom as their mother battles a group of slave-trading dwarves, young Wistala and her gray, scaleless brother, Auron, find themselves alone in the Upper World. And when Auron sacrifices himself so that she may live, Wistala must overcome her gr
Published December 5th 2006 by Roc (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Avenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Avenger

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
145th out of 1,026 books — 1,986 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher Paolini
36th out of 314 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 12, 2012 Bookstorequeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn this one was good! It did take me a little bit to get into it because when I finished Dragon Champion, I found myself wanting more about AuRon and not about some other dragon (sorry, Wistala!). But by the end of this novel I was cheering and grinning and very happy to have read it.

I love the way Knight steeps his stories in such rich history and land lore that I can't help but feel like it has to be real because otherwise, how could he write it so well? This series and the characters in thi
Bogdan Gavriliuc
Nov 09, 2011 Bogdan Gavriliuc rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I couldn't say this until I read book two but now I can
Because books 1 2 and 3 are written in a parallel timeline, and they don't overlap too much, you can pretty much read any one first, without any spoilers really, (haven't read 3 yet).

Seeing AuRon's side of the story was thrilling, very scary, exciting, and set up a large world.
Seeing Wistala's side of the story was less gory, and a little less threatening, but still wonderful. The world set up in the first book is built up more elaborately
Jonathan Beckett
Oct 03, 2011 Jonathan Beckett rated it really liked it
This book is awesome. What struck me about Dragon Avenger is that istead of continuing the series off from book 1 it instead restarts the events of the first book of the age of fire except this time the protagonist is Wistala, Auron's sister and is told from her perspective and what she was doing while the events of the first book unraveled. The book is great. Partway through she gets taken in by an elf and a big chunk of the book focuses on how Wistala starts to connect with the people in the e ...more
Aug 17, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Dragon Avenger features Wistala, the brother of Auron (whom we met in Dragon Champion ) and recounts her story as she grows, encountering cats, elves, dwarves intermingled with deception and an ultimate plan of revenge on her parents’ killers.

I was expecting a continuation of Auron’s story, but I enjoyed hearing Wistala’s tale. The beginning is similar to Auron’s, of course (with a different flavour) but after Wistala and Auron part, it is very different from Auron’s experience. Wistala has a
Ryan Fong
Jan 29, 2016 Ryan Fong rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragons
So despite the problems I had with the first book of the Age of Fire series I found that the 2nd book, Dragon Avenger, was slightly more enjoyable, yet still had some things that bothered me. Let's start with the pluses.

The protagonist, Wistala, is very much like Auron in the sense that she succeeds in everything she sets out to do. This was an issue I had with the first book since it usually means a boring and static character. However, the difference is that although Wistala succeeds, it doesn
Kerian Halcyon
Aug 27, 2015 Kerian Halcyon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dragon lovers, fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
This book series has become my all time favorite since discovering it in college, and after having reread both the first book and this one I can honestly say my love for reading fantasy fiction has been greatly rekindled thanks to this series. It's also inspiring to write my own stories, which is always a positive turn in my book.

For those of you expecting a direct sequel of Dragon Champion, this book isn't exactly it. This book, along with the next one, follows the events taking place through t
Brenda (b)
This is the second book in the Age of Fire series. I found it interesting and liked it. It told the tale of Wistala, the surviving female hatchling. The passage of time was a bit vague, but a one point she mentioned that 13 winters had passed. It took me what seems like a long time to read this but I was experiencing one of my reading slumps. Plus I had to stop at several points and read something with a HEA (happy ever after).
Nov 18, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
Dragon avenger is told through the view of Wistala, the only female dragon to survive the attack on their nest. After reading the first book, I didn't care much for this addition to the story. The obstacles that she faced were grim and many were entertaining as she danced between making friends and enemies in her years, but this story merely felt like a dull repeat of the first book. Though, I will have to say that this book does give some insight into the world, the second addition does no bett ...more
Nov 30, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Was interesting to go back a bit and see what happens to Wistala...I feel her character took a weird and improbable turn at the end though. See spoiler below.

(view spoiler)
May 26, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
Wistala’s story, the story of the Avenger of the Clutch, begins in the same way as Auron’s story, but its course and outcome varies greatly. Dragon Champion and ‘Dragon Avenger’ both happen in the same time but follow different characters, and that broadens the world by a long way. In ‘Dragon Champion’, Hypatian Empire was mentioned quite often, but it’s only in ‘Dragon Avenger’ that we get to see these pitiful remains of the once great domain. On the other hand, in ‘Dragon Avenger’ we see the C ...more
May 17, 2015 J.T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Dragon Avenger by E.E. Knight is the second book in the Age of Fire cycle. It tells the tale of Wistala, the sister of Dragon Champion's Auron. The book starts in the same place as the first. With the hatching of the clutch in the cave. and for the first several chapters, it tells the same story, but through Wistala's viewpoint. This time when Wistala and Auron part, she believes he is the one who dies.

Wistala takes off to find her father who flew off to exact vengeance upon the Wheel of Fire Dw
Jan 20, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, dragons
The second book in the series switches dragons, moving from the "champion male hatchling" and his story (the champion being the male that survived and/or drove off all other male hatchlings) to the sister hatchling.

I rather liked the first book but, in a way, that was a problem with my ability to get into this book. Simply put, the first book in the series started with the hatchlings in the cave, the dragons in the cave were attacked, two hatchlings escape together and spend a little time toget
Sep 13, 2009 Rosie rated it liked it
As promised, I did keep reading this series! I just finished Dragon Avenger by E. E. Knight, the second installment in the Age of Fire series. I liked this book MUCH better than the first one. There were way more story elements, and that kept things moving a *little* more quickly. So, it's looking like each book is told in parallel to the first one, instead of what happens after. At first, I was like "what? eff this!" but, I think it will be ok. Each book tells the individual story of each drago ...more
Sarah Ball

Nov 07, 2013 Danika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was disappointing to me. The story began as I expected: the same beginning as Dragon Champion but focused on Wistala. The short retelling took up Part One accurately and when I began the next part, I was very excited. I was expecting a great, constantly moving adventure like Auron. It started out with her meeting an Elf, Rainfall. And basically the story slowly moved forwards with no character development. After a blur of one hundred pages that, to me, were boring, Wistala joins a circ ...more
F.J. Hansen
Oct 05, 2011 F.J. Hansen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dragon-lovers
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
Book 2 in the Age of Fire series, and it was every bit as good as the first. Better, in fact, though that might just be because I like Wistala more. It's an interesting thing that Knight does with the first three books of the series--each book written entirely from a different character's point-of-view. And, he does it superbly.

It follows the journey of Wistala, the surviving sister of Auron (the POV character of the first book), and written completely from her point-of-view. It follows Wistala
Aug 07, 2015 Aravinda rated it really liked it
Interesting approach of the same story as novel 1 from a different perspective. Sometimes really engaging, sometimes made me feel like I was being retold/rehashing the same stuff. There is a Person of Interest episode where the AI tries to work out the odds with different scenarios and keeps rewinding. I hated that episode, so it's maybe a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, an interesting sequel. Warning to all who go further, just don't read book 4.
Oct 27, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it
I want to say that I liked the characters more in this than the first book. The plot was good but ended up being pretty dark. In some ways, it reminded me of The Count of Monte Cristo (similar themes of a patient and very well-organized revenge). Still, it had a ton of fun moments, an awesome elf, and a great dragon as the main character. I've already started book 3, too.
Amandy Q
Jun 02, 2015 Amandy Q rated it it was amazing
I really empathise with her. Alone in the world she took several bad situations and turned them ahaainst each other. Considering how much I liked Dragon's Champion, I gave it a five because there series as a whole has been a fantastical adventure I cannot put down. I aallready bought Dragon Outcast as well :)
Adelaide Metzger
Unlike the first book Dragon Champion, Dragon Avenger is not parallel to the Publisher’s Weekly quote, “…bloody and unsentimental…” and I enjoyed it more so because of that.

It was made clear in the first book that the female dragons are more intelligent than the males both mentally and emotionally. Wistala, the protagonist, thinks through every step before she takes it and also sees sense in making allies first before enemies (unlike her brother who saw almost everyone as an enemy even if they
" Je suis Wistala, la dragonelle chasseuse, la vengeresse verte et silencieuse fendant les cieux..." Ainsi parle sitt libre de son ?uf la jeune Wistala, l'un des quatre dragons ns au plus haut des montagnes. Dernire ne d'une espce l'agonie, la fratrie apprendra tout de l'hritage qui lui revient grce une mre dvoue et un pre protecteur. Jusqu'au jour funeste o leur sanctuaire est pris d'assaut par une horde de nains. Leur mre les pousse alors vers la libert tout en se sacrifiant pour sauver leur ...more
Jonathan Crammer
wonderful display and interpreting of not only ones understanding of others perspectives and rationalities, but the empathy and reasoning are basic and understanding from reader to reader.

look forward to more of E.E. knight's work
Dec 22, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
After reading some more fluffy stories, it was nice to take a break and read something more violent and mature.

The plot is original and interesting, and Wistala is a great character. I felt pathos for just about everyone I was allowed to. The reading was kind of slow, however. Knight doesn't have a very driving writing style; it feels more informational than compelling. He has a good mind for story, though.
So, while slow, this was an entertaining read. There are few enough books written from th
Fantasy Literature
Jun 08, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
Dragon Champion, the first Age of Fire novel, begins with a newborn whose initial impressions of the world are artfully depicted, but the fact that this newborn is a dragon makes it even more fun. E.E. Knight’s story follows the life and growth of a young dragon through interesting and perilous adventures.

Knight's world-building is creative; he mixes races, geography, and geo-politics to create a vibrant background. The story takes on an almost scientific tone at times as Knight explains some of
Kelly McCarthy
Oct 05, 2015 Kelly McCarthy rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I absolutely loved the first book in E. E. Knights dragon series, but this one fell a little short. Wasn't quite as daring and interesting as Auron's story. Still love this series and plan on reading the next book!
J.F.R. Coates
Dec 23, 2014 J.F.R. Coates rated it really liked it
Slower in pace than the first, this book only really kicks off towards the last third.
Book 2 picks off at the exact same moment as the first, but instead follows Wistala on her journeys instead of Auron. Less action-packed than the first, the dragoness was still able to look back on a remarkable adventure.

Much like her brother, Wistala is in no way truly 'good'. She is flawed, and does some rather unpleasant deeds in her story, but this is natural. After all, she is a dragon.
May 20, 2016 Kooskia rated it really liked it
Second book of the series with a female protagonist, also this book was very good with multiple interesting points. Maybe some part in the middle of the plot was a bit slow... but in the end it was good.
Jan 12, 2009 noodle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like dragons.
Recommended to noodle by: Chris
This book was different than I expected it to be, after reading the first in the series. I was a bit surprised at the noticeable shift in tone and pace for Wistala's story as compared to Auron's. I wasn't displeased -- I thought it was kind of neat the way he seemed to write it so that her story actually FELT a little slower and heavier than Auron's.

It was interesting to see some of the bits of Auron's and Wistala's common past written from her perspective instead of his, and it was in this book
Feb 03, 2013 Squeak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
I enjoyed this second story in the series. Although this story did not continue on from the first, I enjoyed finding out what had happened to the other dragons from the first story. There were a lot of things that were touched on briefly in the first book that got a better explanation in the second story.

Although this is the second in the series, I believe that you could listen to this one and not have heard the first one and still be able to follow and enjoy this story as a stand-alone.

The read
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. I
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • A Host of Dragons (Dragon Delasangre, #4)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Forged By Fire (Dragon Temple Saga, #3)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Alta (Dragon Jousters, #2)
  • Dragonworld
  • Dragon War
  • Dragon's Heart (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Dragon Weather (Obsidian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)

Age of Fire (6 books)
  • Dragon Champion (Age of Fire #1)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • Dragon Strike (Age of Fire, #4)
  • Dragon Rule (Age of Fire, #5)
  • Dragon Fate (Age of Fire, #6)

“Daughter, daughter, shining bright
Precious jewel within mine sight
Oh, if I could soar with thee
As you seek your destiny.

To see with you the caves and skies
Vistas grand beneath your eyes
Taking wing to horizons new
Let us wonder who waits for you.

A dragon bright?
A dragon dark?
Victor of duels with battle mark?
A dragon strong?
A dragon keen?
Singer of honors and triumphs seen?

Red, Gold, Bronze, and Blue
To your lord you shall be true,
Copper, Silver, Black, and White,
Who will win your mating flight?

For in your hearts our future rests
To see our line with hatchlings blessed
And for those who threaten clutch of flame,
To feel the wrath of dragon-dame.”
“Father, it’s Wistala. Wistala.”
Father grimaced. “You’re a star, Wistala — I saw you twinkling beneath dear Irelia last night. You, Auron, and Jizara all in a row. I’ll be up there soon. Wait.”