Start by marking “Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)

Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery #11)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  701 ratings  ·  72 reviews
When her in-laws invite her to Yorkshire moors, Ellie Haskell can't resist. The name "Cragstone House" just sounds so much like the delightfully musty manors she reads about in books! And so she and her husband set off for Yorkshire, accompanied by their irrepressible housekeeper and co-conspirator in crime solving, Mrs. Roxie Malloy. But things at Cragstone turn out far l ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Withering Heights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Withering Heights

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jan 29, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Admittedly, I've found that the so-called "cozy mystery" isn't my cuppa. Particularly in a series. Agatha Christie is so clever in plotting, I can forgive that her Miss Marple stumbles into one homicide after another. I'm less forgiving with other books featuring amateur detectives and including cute cats or delicious recipes isn't enough.

No particular gimmick that I could note graces this series featuring interior decorator Ellie Haskell "blissfully married to the handsomest man outside a goth
Betty
Jan 05, 2009 Betty rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery, humourous mystery
I haven’t read any of Dorothy Cannell’s books before but I must say I found it a lighthearted and sometimes laugh out loud change of pace. I completely enjoyed the book, however implausible it may be, that is part of the fun. Ellie obviously has a rich imagination and a problem with drifting off into her own scenarios in her mind with the slightest trigger, into a world of gothic romance fiction with herself as the main character. Her partner in crime solving is the irrepressible and ever helpfu ...more
Melodie
My daughter was supposed to pick up Wuthering Heights for a literature class she was taking, and accidentally took this home. I decided to read it as an accidental book that found its way to me. It was a fun light mystery of sorts. Kind of a modern Nancy Drew for adults. For some reason it took me half way through the book until I finally knew the characters well enough to enjoy the book. Maybe its because it is number 12 in the series of Ellie Mystery books. I don't know. I did enjoy reading th ...more
Annette
This is another in the Ellie Haskell series by Dorothy Cannell – and I am so glad I had the chance to read it.

Ellie is married to Ben and they have 3 “ lovely” children. Actually the children are pretty normal and Ellie and Ben are a normal married couple. Because the children will be gone, Ellie has hopes for a romantic time with Ben. Alas, it is not to be.

Ariel arrives at their door. She is a 13 year old family member and she believes the new home her father and step-mother have purchased is h
Kendra
Cindy
Ellie Haskell has shipped the kids off to their grandparents and is looking forward to a little private romantic time with her husband, but things rapidly take another turn. She and Ben have a tiff, her cleaning lady Mrs. Malloy has a feud to resolve, and a stray cousin shows up expecting help.

It seems that Ben's cousin has won the lottery and bought an old historic home complete with a mystery. Ariel, the cousin's daughter, is convinced FOUL PLAY is at work and needs Ellie to come and hold her
Oct 23, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers who like a light read
These books, for me at least, our like literary snack food. Delectable, tasty, and fun to consume. I agree with the quotes on the book jacket: "thoroughly entertaining", "wickedly witty, good bubbly fun", and "sparkling wit and outlandish characters". Ellie Haskell, the main character, is delightfully human with all her insecurities and foibles. The interplay between Ellie and her housekeeper/partner Mrs.Malloy, is absolutely delightful. There is a bit of romance in these too. Ellie is married t ...more
Knitme23
Abandoned this one pretty fast: too dumb to endure. An adult woman who acts like a moron is something I can't accept, unless I've already gotten hooked, as is the case with the Diane Mott Davidson series. Dorothy Cannell's nitwit lacks Goldy's recipes, so I put her down pretty fast.
George
Another Ellie Haskell mystery. Ellie and her housekeeper and sometimes detective partner mrs. Malloy are involved in another mystery involving a missing man suspected of being murdered, as well as other murders. There are many overlying plotlines involving a cousin and his family of Ellie's husband Ben and various things happening at their large estate home, the cousin's first love, the winning of the lottery, and Mrs. Malloy and her sister who haven't spoken to each other in 40 years.

There is t
Erin
It's a very wordy bubbly story. The characters are interesting.
Ellies trying to hide some jealousy and wants to trust her husband. Her husband however is holding out not sharing a past he had with Val. A guest at the Lottery winners home.Val is staying with the family across the street from where they are staying. Parents of Ariel, that Ellie met a couple years earlier at her inlaws with her perternial grandmother. Ellie often bought books and sent them to Ariel. Ariel has a "wicked" step mother
Pat
Not as good as other Ellie stories.
OK.
Judie
I know it's a murder mystery, but my favorite part was the fact that the husband and wife in the story still know how to show their love to each other after having 3-4 children. The author describes a simple glance across a crowded room with a smile and my heart flutters like it did when Justin and I were dating. :)The murder mystery part of the story was not fantastic, but it was okay. I'd read another book by this author just because of the sweet relationships she describes.
Rhoda
I'm not a big fan of British Mysteries or cozy. But I have read and enjoyed Dorothy Cannell for years. I love this series because it brings back characters who have become like old friends- Ellie, Ben, Mrs. Malloy and Freddie!
It's everything I love in a cozy: a quaint English village with interesting residents, lots of tea, and lighthearted charm.

The story is well-written, clever, and kept me guessing right up until the end. I can't wait for the next book in the series!
Dimples88
This is the first book I've read by this author, and it's pretty awesome! Entertaining, funny and had quite a lot of suspense. This book is quite different from the other Young Adult's Fiction books that I usually read, somehow it feels "vintage-y" (I don't really know how else to describe it!), if you read it you'll probably understand what i mean.

I'll definitely read more books by this author. :) Highly recommended, it's different than the usual books.
Patty
After 5 years, Cannell has brought Ellie Haskell back and she is as fun as ever. Ellie, her husband, Ben, and housekeeper, Mrs. Malloy, head to Yorkshire to visit family. Ben’s cousin has won the lottery and purchased a house that might or might not be the sight of a murder. Between the possible murder, possible theft and the possibility that Ben has re-connected with the love of his life, Ellie has her hands full!
Fun, as always.
Kristina Hoerner
Sep 17, 2007 Kristina Hoerner rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who read this series
This is one of my favorite mystery series and I am always excited when there is a new title. Unfortunately, this book was not as good as some of her earlier ones. I would have liked more humor and a longer plot. Ellie and Ben find themselves staying with family in a house that looks like it could be from Jane Eyre. Creeping dealings and a missing lord of the manor lead Ellie and Mrs Mallory to take matters into their own hands.
Maggie
It's an Ellie Haskell mystery; the first I've read but quite a few down the list. Takes place in England. Her husband is a chef at his own restaurant and she is a part time interior decorator. She and her housekeeper get tangled up in crimes and solve them. I've already put the first of the series on hold at the library and I'll admit I just checked this one out because of the title.
Brittan Daems
I bought this book online because I wanted to try out a book by one of the Bronte sisters. You can imagine the confusion that ensued when I started reading and found out it was a different book all together. It was a little slow starting, but I ended up really liking it. I hadn't read a mystery in a really long time, and this was a good one. It's a great book for a rainy day.
 Gen
May 06, 2011 Gen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny mystery fans, English novel lovers
Recommended to Gen by: no one
I got half way through this book and I really liked it. I recently started reading mysteries and this one was funny and entertaining. The characters were interesting. I'm so anxious to get to the very end to see exactly what is going to happen. I wish I had more time to sit around and read, because this seems to be the perfect cozy mystery. Dorothy Cannell did a good job.
Virginia
Meh. I didn't care about the characters, and couldn't get into this book. I think the Aunt Dimity series does a better job of doing the quirky English mom-turned-sleuth thing. And will someone please spare me from the tired 'wife feels frumpy and suspects husband of cheating when they meet up with his ex-girlfriend' plot line? I'll say it again - Meh.
Rene'
A nice cozy mystery. It was okay. I've read a couple other books by Dorothy Cannell, the thing I find frustrating is that she gives lots of clues throughout the book then puts a twist on the end. I felt like my attempts to figure out her mysteries were a waste of time because so few of the clues had anything to do with the ending.
Delightful main character and loads of allusions to gothic romances. Actually the characters REALLY make the book. The mystery plot was not overly intricate but watching the characters figure it out was FUN.
Good junk food read. I'll likely read the others as well - but they'll be library check outs.
Gail
I enjoy the Ellie Haskell mysteries, but I wish that occasionally we would see good relationship between Ellie and Ben. So often, Ellie is jealous of someone that Ben knows and they are not getting along. I would like to see Ben and Ellie getting along and solving the mysteries together.
Dee
About 15 years ago I read lots of Ellie Haskell adventures & thought them funny. Picking up an unread book years later I am surprised at how unappealing they are to me now. Ellie & Mrs.Malloy solve the mysterious murders occurring around them while guests at a distant relative's home.
Brenda
Another comfortable installment in the Ellie Haskell series...no wonder they are called "cozies". Ellie, Ben, and Mrs. Malloy head of to the moors of Yorkshire to help Ben's cousin and his wife solve a little mystery...what happened to the previous owner of their home?
Colleenish
This book was completely entertainment, but clean and enjoyable entertainment. The writing was sound. The characters were interesting. The plot was easy to follow and somewhat surprising. I love the process of guessing. I would read more books by this author.
Anne
When I heard about this book I didn't realize that it was the 12th in a series. There were a lot of shorthand remarks referencing previous stories so it made things heavy going. The plot idea sounds fun but I think I'd have to start the series from the first book....
Moshi
I took awhile to get into the book. It was a random pick from the library and it was not an enjoyable read. I'm hoping to get out of my reading slump with the new job I'm in and I had to skimp through the middle pages just to have a complete ending of this book.
Susan
Dorothy Cannell's sense of humor is the most redeeming feature of this mystery, as it's definitely a bit thin and obvious from the beginning
as a whodunnit. Her sleuths are funny and the heroine is certainly a
charmer, but it just didn't have enough plot for me.
Wendyh
I really enjoyed this british cozy mystery novel. I particularly liked the character Mrs. Malloy. I had never read a Dorothy Cannell novel, and I particularly loved her clever and humorous writing style, definitely will read another of her novels!
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Loot
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Echoes
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

Dorothy Cannell was born in London, England, and now lives in Belfast, Maine. Dorothy Cannell writes mysteries featuring Ellie Haskell, interior decorator and Ben Haskell, writer and chef, and Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell, a pair of dotty sisters and owners of the Flowers Detection Agency.

(from Internet Book List)

Dorothy Cannell, a mother of four, grandmother of te
More about Dorothy Cannell...

Ellie Haskell Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • Bridesmaids Revisited (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1) The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2) How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5) Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3) The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)

“Oh, woe to the woman who sticks her nose in a book and forgets that real life is not always destined for Happily Ever After.” 9 likes