Start by marking “A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories

A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories

This magical collection of eight gloriously imaginative stories is ideal for bedtime reading. These stories contain a wealth of wonderful characters and ideas, all with the colorful, dreamlike quality of the very best fairy tales. Illustrations.
Published June 10th 2003 by Dell Yearling (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton JusterJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
Children's Fantasy of the 1960s
14th out of 63 books — 18 voters
Thursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildJane-Emily by Patricia ClappA Stitch In Time by Penelope LivelyFog Magic by Julia L. SauerMarianne Dreams by Catherine Storr
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
51st out of 362 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica
Mar 13, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"El gato Mog" es un libro infantil de RELATOS IMAGINATIVOS CON ELEMENTOS FANTÁSTICOS A LA PAR QUE REALIDADES crudas DE LA VIDA (Y DE LAS PERSONAS). A lo largo de sus ocho historias, NOS ENCONTRAREMOS CON DIVERSOS MENSAJES ACERCA DE LOS VALORES Y BENEFICIOS DE LAS BUENAS PERSONAS Y ANIMALES: la amistad, la bondad, el valor, la aceptación de los demás, sin prejuicios, sino por su manera de obrar, ADEMÁS DE, LO POSITIVO QUE APORTA LA CULTURA y LOS VIAJES.

1/ El Gato Mog:

Una anciana panadera vive con
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Joan Aiken is at her best with this collection of gentle fairytales and fantasy stories, beautifully illustrated by Kevin Hawkes. The pictures are like little jewels themselves, or tiny "raindrops" that reflect the people and events in the stories. An excellent, cosy, curl-up-in-your-favourite-quilt read. I started this book thinking I'd never read it before, but something about one of the stories rang a bell, so I must have done many years ago.

My "acid test" of a good children's book is: does i
Megan
A collection of short stories for children.

A Necklace of Raindrops - 5 stars. Actually this was the only short story in the book I remember reading as a little girl. Laura's godfather, the North Wind, gives Laura a necklace and each year on her birthday gives her a raindrop to put on that gives her certain powers (i.e. doesn't get wet when it rains, etc). However, the necklace keeps getting stolen and Laura has to find it.

The other short stories are:

The Cat Sat on the Mat

There's Some Sky in this
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 17, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU. When I picked up my copy of this book from the library, I was initially very disappointed to find that it was a collection of short stories. Then I started the book. Mercy. It was fantastic. Literally and metaphorically. Wonderfully written fantasies. There is one story about a man who saves the North Wind, who then rewards the man with a gift of a necklace of raindrops. Another is the tale of an old woman who accidentally baked a bit of sky in her pie. Yet another tells of ...more
Nikki
I loved this when I was a child, but more or less forgot about it until I came across it in my university library. Then I remembered the magic of it, and all the illustrations were familiar... I didn't remember all the stories, but the first and second in particular made an impression on me, and the one that basically included Baba Yaga. They're almost fairytales, and that's how I'll shelve them here.

Reading them now, I suppose they're smaller than imagination made them, and more saccharine. But
Josephine
Jul 13, 2012 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-audrey
What an amazing read-a-loud! I highly recommend this book to anyone with children. It was a book of 8 short stories that were very creative and fun. Our favorite was the first story in the book, Necklace of Raindrops. It was about a lucky little girl who got to have the North Wind as her godfather. That was the only story my girls wanted me to read over again. The story about the men in the desert was pretty boring but the rest were fun.
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
I used to pine for the eponymous necklace. Now I pine for my childhood copy. *sniffs*
Kiwi
Aug 16, 2016 Kiwi rated it liked it
Sally
Nov 03, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great 'modern' (for the time - it's as old as I am!) fairy tales. A lot of flying things. Good use of language - repetition and unexpected words and events will entertain younger children. Good people beat baddies in the end. And those wonderful picutures, too!
Krystal
Oct 19, 2016 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Sweet magical little tales...perfect for a quick bedtime story.
Cheryl
Oct 06, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must be more careful about which books I pass on. I want to read and reread all of Aiken's short stories, and they're hard to find.
duniamimpigie Anggi
Feb 14, 2016 duniamimpigie Anggi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Penyuka fantasi anak
“A Necklace of Raindrops” ini bukan novel, melainkan sebuah kumcer. Untuk anak-anak. Sangat fantasiyah. Yang saya temukan di sebuah bazaar buku progdi Jerman kampus saya. Dan saya dikasih gratis sama orang Jermannya―karena sudah robek-robek, katanya―yang saya balas dengan ucapan terima kasih berkali-kali. Ah, betapa saya sudah jatuh cinta dengan buku ini tepat pada saat mata saya bertumbuk dengan covernya yang manis!
Dibuka dengan “A Necklace of Raindrops”, bercerita tentang seorang anak perempua
Fiona Prunty
Apr 13, 2013 Fiona Prunty rated it really liked it

Title of Book: A Necklace of Raindrops
Author: Joan Aiken
Illustrated by: JanPienkowski
This is a charming collection of folk tales which would appeal to children from 5- 9 years of age. The stories are rather quaint and old-fashioned but they effortlessly combine the magical and fantastical with the ordinary. The little girl in the first story has been given a magical necklace of raindrops with powers to make it stop or start raining as she wishes but she still has to go to school. Aiken introdu
Ümit
Naif ve hoş masallar.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Francesca
I'm happy to say I still own my original copy of this book and I will make sure I still have it in years to come when I am old, grey and have kids and grandkids of my own! This book is beautifully written, the stories are wonderful and it is truly an underappreciated gem! The other short stories in the book are also fantastic but A Necklace of Raindrops has been one of my favourite stories since I was a little kid and to this day I still read it whenever I need a pick me up! It's not ...more
ShaLisa
Jan 15, 2010 ShaLisa rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I enjoyed this book with my children. My three year old was as entranced as my six year old and seven year old. Without trying, a game came about because of one of the stories. A baby blanket on the floor became the mat and whenever my two year old happened upon it, we could make any wish we wanted. She soon discovered that everyone wanted her to stay on the mat and, naturally, she because noncompliant making wish time fleeting. Throughout the week I would find my three year old daughter ...more
Kathleen Dixon
May 23, 2015 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
My daughter took this (and the other two collections of children's stories by Joan Aiken that I own) along to our POWERtalk meeting the other night for work during an Education Session she led on Storytelling. Everybody thought the books and stories delightful (and the Education Session went really well for her, too)!

Once again the illustrations by Jan Pienkowski are perfect enhancements to the tales, and the tales are quirky and imaginative and the grandchildren have absolutely loved listening
Jim Sibigtroth
This is a great collection of very original/unusual short imaginative fiction. They make great read-aloud stories, mostly for 1st/2nd grade but (The Baker's Cat) works well for kindergarten. The story is about a cat that grows enormous after being given some warm milk and yeast. I like to bring warm water, sugar, and some yeast to show how yeast rises quickly - I start the yeast before the story and by the time the story is done, the yeast has grown visibly and filled the room with wonderful ...more
Lynley
Jun 01, 2016 Lynley rated it liked it
We listened to the audio book which is very very well by an older female actor but it meant we missed out on the illustrations. Also, they're quite soporific. I think they're meant to be, with the familiar folktale archetypes and symbols and those soothing grammatical structures factored by writers such as Neil Gaiman.

My eight year old wasn't interested in finishing them when it came to the second night of bedtime reading so I listened on my own. I do think I would have loved this collection wh
Carolina
Recibí este libro en un intercambio que hicimos en la escuela primaria hace ya tantos años y este libro me lo dio la que por entonces era mi mejor amiga, porque creyó que me gustarían mucho las historias que contiene.

Es un libro con mucha imaginación, con historias y personajes entrañables y llenos de mensajes para los niños acerca de los valores y las virtudes.

Mi historia favorita de esta antología es la de El collar de las gotas de lluvia
bekki
Jan 05, 2015 bekki rated it it was amazing
My grandma had a version of this when I was a child and I remember reading it constantly. It's now become my traditional christmas read as an adult. A Necklace of Raindrops has always been my favourite. Laura receives a necklace from her Godfather, the North Wind, and receives a raindrop every year for her birthday. She then gets it taken off her in school and a classmate steals it. It's a beautiful story of her looking for it. It's a very short story, but it's really very touching.
Ratesjul
Mar 11, 2012 Ratesjul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I've always loved these stories - I remember them from when I was a kid - and I just unearthed my copy of it in a box of books and had to reread them.

There are some gorgeous stories in the book, and always the good guy (or girl) wins out in the end. From a necklace of raindrops full of magic, to a patchwork quilt of stars, to three men working in a train station without any time off - it's beautifully magic in every word.
Mathew
Read it in one night, I loved it that much. Some very clever stuff going on beneath the words but, ultimately, a gorgeous collection of short stories that beg be to told rather than read. My personal favourite was The Elves on the Shelves but it has made me want to explore more of Aiken's short stories. A perfect class read for KS1 or even lower KS2. The rich language and clever repetition throughout make these sound more like fairy tales than some fairy tales do.
Natasha Chowdory
Absolutely charming. I miss fairytales like this. A collection of utterly gorgeous stories and in this edition some lovely illustrations. I think my favourite story is the cat that sat on the mat and the titular 'A necklace of raindrops'. Perfect for a snowed-in afternoon and if I had children this would definitely be a collection that I read to them. :)
Milena
Mar 11, 2012 Milena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up loving these stories, I read the Spanish version when I was little. I recently purchased the English version because I am able to read the book in its original language now. Great stories, not short, not long, just perfect, full of amazing beings and adventures. I recommend this for everybody. For reading, it is very accessible for 8 year old children.
Sara K.
This is MY version. I have no idea when it was first read to me. My dad is the finder of this wonderful book and I can remember him reading it to me. I LOVED (and still do) how creative and imaginative the stories are. I spent many an hour imagining after reading these stories.
Jennifer Heise
Jul 16, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like folktale retellings (though these are not based on actual folktales) and far less edgy that Aiken's other work, this collection shows off the grace of her language and fertility of her imagination. Reading audience: pre-tweens.
Natasha
Feb 04, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a paperback copy and a different cover (couldn't find it here on goodreads)

This book was my obsession when i was younger, the pictures are beautiful and i used to look at them all the time, very well loved book!
Meghan
Apr 28, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
A few of the stories were just plain weird. It was written in 1968, so I shouldn't be surprised. Alas, the story about the animals coming to life from books was amazing. 5 stars for that story alone.
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • The Real Thief
  • Mr. Majeika
  • The Dolls' House
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • Come Away From The Water, Shirley
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Haunted House
  • Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • The Night Pirates
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
More about Joan Aiken...

“You may think it odd that there were three men to look after one tiny station, but the people who ran the railway knew that if you left two men together in a lonely place they would quarrel, but if you left three men, two of them could always grumble to each other about the third, and then they would be quite happy.” 3 likes