Start by marking “Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)

Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak #10)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,203 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Kate Shugak, a former investigator for the Anchorage D.A. and now a p.i. for hire, is missing after a winter spent in mourning. Alaska State Trooper Jim Chopin, Kate's best friend, needs her to help him work a new case. He discovers her hiding out in Bering, a small fishing village on Alaska's western coast, living and working under an assumed name -- working hard, as 18-h ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Come Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Come Again

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Best Literary Mysteries
421st out of 1,058 books — 2,343 voters
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichGreen Grass, Running Water by Thomas KingThree Day Road by Joseph Boyden
Best Native American/First Nations Fiction
170th out of 367 books — 262 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
Nov 17, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
I've not reviewed any of the other fourteen Kate Shugak novels, simply because it would be redundant; however, for shear entertainment purposes, you cannot beat this series of novels.

Not only did I love the Kate Shugak character, I want to BE Kate Shugak. :-) She's tiny but mighty, and if you piss her off she'll kick your @$$ and take your $hit, and if she doesn't do it, her dog, Mutt, will.

These novels also gave me a desire to visit Alaska that I admit has been somewhat tempered by Caribou Bar
Kspeare
Feb 21, 2010 Kspeare rated it it was amazing
MIDNIGHT COME AGAIN was my introduction to Dana Stabenow and Kate Shugak. In this I was lucky, because earlier books in the series were out of print by then, and MCA was the earliest one on the shelf at Borders. It represents a turning point of sorts in Kate's life, so while I had to infer the backstory from what some readers would shun as spoilers for previous books, I could live with that.

Actually, I would have been able to live with it anyway. Nothing, including spoilers, can spoil a really
Kristen
Feb 25, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2013
Dana Stabenow does it again. In the 10th installment of the Kate Shugak series, this one is another winner. When Alaskan State Trooper Jim Chopin have been requested to track down Kate Shugak, who went MIA for a couple of months, after the loss of her boyfriend, Jack Morgan. Undercover, Jim finds her in Bering Alaska under an assumed name at a local air field. Both of them have twelve-hour shifts. And when midnight strikes again, that's when one takes over for the other. Things get dicey, when t ...more
Barbara ★
I just can't say enough about this series. I absolutely love Dana Stabenow's writing and her heroine Kate Shugak (and all the supporting characters too!). This one caught me by surprise and chapter one actually had me looking back at the cover to make sure I was reading the right book. An Alaskan original, Kare Shugak is one of a kind and lots of fun even when she isn't speaking to anyone. After the events of Hunter's Moon, Kate has lost her will to live and is hiding out in Bering Alaska workin ...more
Susan Coley
Mar 02, 2016 Susan Coley rated it really liked it
Don't we all have a piece of furniture like that coffee table? This one answered many questions about Kate's past.
Lynne
May 16, 2016 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Some series books don't need to be read in order, but for others, it makes more sense to follow the story arc. This book and the one preceding it are in that category.

Stabenow takes Kate out of The Park as she grieves the death of a loved one. (Read #9.) She had descended into that dark place where the desire to live had ebbed, and when Kate decided she needed to live in a place where she could not feel - where she could wallow in numbness - she took herself off to another village. Immersed in
Rosemary Cantrell
This was not a bad mystery - it involved Russians and all the usual law enforcement intrigues. Stabenow's books are set in Alaska, which gives them a little different atmosphere. These characters are part of a series of books that she has written. There is a continuing thread, but each book stands alone as far as that mystery is concerned.

I enjoyed most of the book, but felt like the sexual scenes, while not many, were more graphic than was necessary. And the topic was central to everything, or
Diane
Feb 16, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
Kate Shugak is missing. All of her friends and family are worried. She's never left without a word. State trooper Jim Chopin was setting off to look for her but got waylaid into an under cover job working with the FBI. Let me tell you the female FBI agent is an irritating bully who in my opinion wants to further her career but not really look at facts.

The job takes Jim to Bering, Alaska where to his surprise he finds Kate (sorry little spoiler) working under an assumed name. Basically she is hid
Sylvia McIvers
So this was a step out of normal for the series. For the genre, actually.

spoilers ahoy!
Last book Kate Shugak had some awful experiences and her long-term boyfriend was killed. This book, she's hiding out from the world in Anchorage (out of hte Park, oh horror), until Chopper Jim finds her. Kate is too numb to do much, but some bit of grief pushes her into bed with Jim, just for warmth and cuddles. Until she half wakes up grieving and horny. Bad combo, Kate. In the morning she can't beleive what
Amanda
Sep 15, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I really like these books and nothing like a bit of insomnia to help finish reading!
Arizonagirl
Jul 13, 2015 Arizonagirl rated it really liked it
Kate Shugak series, book #10. I had to give myself a break after reading book #9 but some time had passed and I needed a good book to take into the field with me. This did the trick. I was happy to visit with Kate again and glad to know she is doing okay. Now I'm ready for #11.
Liz
Jul 15, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
The Kate Shugak series massively appealed to me. She is a moral, if not slightly damaged (aren't we all?!) Native Alaskan woman who solves mysteries around Alaska and has a wolf-dog roommate. I started reading them in Unalaska and continued in Dillingham and still think that anybody who wants to visit Alaska but can't afford the air-fare could get a pretty good tour, not to mention enjoying some well-crafted mystery, by reading these books.
Lisa Wolf
Appropriately, I finished Midnight Come Again just past midnight. It's one of those books that is best read straight through, even if it means giving up a little sleep.

Midnight Come Again is an installment of the Kate Shugak series that's hard to put down -- less for the mystery than for the character development of Kate. The mystery is kind of "meh" in this book -- Russian mafia, money laundering, involvement of FBI and state troopers. The personal side, though, is terrific.

Kate is dealing (not
Bruce Snell
Dec 30, 2014 Bruce Snell rated it really liked it
Midnight Come Again is book number Ten in the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow - 4 stars. At the end of book 9 Kate's long term love, Jack Morgan, was murdered. This book picks up the story about 10 months later - Kate has been missing most of that time. Sgt. Jim Chopin of the Alaska State Police is assigned a special mission to Bering, Alaska to locate a Russian gangster suspected of smuggling Plutonium - and who should he run into in Bering, but Kate.

This is a story about Kate dealing with
Ed
Oct 15, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#10 in the Kate Shugak series.

#10 - Alaska PI Kate Shugak series - Kate's tough life took a tragic turn when her long-time lover, Jack Morgan, was killed in Hunter's Moon (1999). A guilty, inconsolable Kate, impulsively leaving her Alaska bush home for a coastal fishing village, goes to work incognito for Baird Air, a cargo airline. At Baird, she soon runs into Alaska State Trooper Jim Chopin, a friend who's on an undercover job for the FBI. The FBI thinks that Russian gangsters are using a fish
Kelly ...
Apr 30, 2016 Kelly ... rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
Book #9 was my favorite to that point, and it still is. This book finds Kate missing from her home, out-of-touch with friends and family, hiding from her grief and anger. Jim is hoping to find her but first is sent on a one month under-cover assignment. Of course, he finds Kate, as well as a whole mess of trouble. Of course Kate gets involved in the story and in the end they both return to their homes safe and on the road to healing. It is a good story and a good book. But, Bobby has been MIA fo ...more
Mike Finn
Mar 15, 2015 Mike Finn rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
"Midnight Come Again" opens like a Tom Clancy novel with a rogue Russian military unit killing people in an armed robbery in Moscow.

It was well written and intriguing but it left me with one big question: where is Kate Shugak?

I'm fairly sure this is the reaction that Dana Stabenow expected me to have as this is the question the whole novel sets out to answer.

The events in most of this novel are not seen from Kate's point of view but from Jim Chopin's. Jim has been asking around the Park to see i
Kathy
Elizabeth White
Feb 20, 2014 Elizabeth White rated it really liked it
I'm not sure 4 stars is enough here. Maybe 5 stars would better express how much I liked this book. Couldn't put it down. I read the first 4 books in order, then skipped the next four because this one (the 9th) was the earliest that my library had available on the day I was checking out books. This is my favorite so far. Kate Shugak is a real, authentic person, more 3-dimensional than many of the protagonists one frequently sees in contemporary mysteries. She keeps developing as the series conti ...more
Mary JL
Nov 02, 2010 Mary JL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone! Try the series it's great
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
An absolutely top-notch entry in Stabenow's Kate Shugak series. It has several extra pluses here. First, it takes place away from Kate and Jim's usual stomping grounds in Niniltna and The Park, so we get a new Alaskan city as a background--and Stabenow knows Alaska well!

Second, since Jim and Kate are both working incognito, they do not have the backing of all their usual clan of friends

Third, Stabenow cleverly shifts the point of view back and forth from Jim to Kate. Usually, we get mainly Kate'
Randy Daugherty
Jul 12, 2013 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it
Grief, we all handle it differently.Jack Morgan is dead, the funeral has come and now his killers sit in jail awaiting trial having their home country of Germany decline to have them back.
The Park, has gone quiet, and all know why but none know how to fix it. Kate Shugak, former D.A. investigator, private p.i.,deck hand,hunting guide,and the heir apparent as the chief tribal leader is missing and none know where she has gone.
Her cabin sits empty, dust covering the shelves that are bare, somethin
Susan K
Nov 14, 2012 Susan K rated it really liked it
I'm in the midst of reading this, the 10th (I believe) book in a series of Kate Shugak stories. After getting my kindle (the BEST gift David has ever given me), I've spent some time rediscovering books/authors I've read earlier in my life. I've read a few of the Kate Shugak books before, but have now read them from first on... It's fun reconnecting with them with some of my new experiences (it's kinda cool to read about Alaska and think..HEY! I know where she's talking about).
Stabenow's series i
Marlène
Une nouveauté dès le départ de ce tome, suite de Hunter's Moon qui introduisait de grands bouleversements dans la vie de l'héroine et la série en général. Un point de vue autre que celui de Kate Shugak, puisque les premiers chapitres s'ouvrent avec l'irrésistible Chopper Jim, Jim Chopin, le Park Ranger du parc national fictif créé par l'auteur.
Chopper Jim est embauché par le FBI pour démasquer une opération à Bering menée par des terroristes russes, alors qu'il est à la recherche de Kate, dispar
Jo
Nov 17, 2012 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Kate Shugak book and though I liked the descriptions of the Alaska setting and strong central characters, I did feel that it was probably the wrong book to read as a first introduction to the series. The first two hundred or so pages of the book seem primarily to focus on Kate's recovery from something that happened to her in the previous book and Jim dealing with this new Kate; less on a plot line. If you are a follower of these books then maybe this was necessary but for some ...more
Deborah Darsie
Jun 24, 2016 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Kate Shugak is working in Bering Alaska under a pseudonym while she works long, hard days numbed by grief. [NOTE: this book would benefit by reading the prior book in this series...otherwise I could spoil it for you...and I could not possibly do it justice!]
NO ONE knew where Kate had disappeared to with Mutt...and the closest of her friends and family were worried.

Chopper Jim Chopin ended up assigned to an undercover operation with FBI handlers and he ends up working at the same place as Kate.

S
Linda
Jun 05, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is another suspenseful page turner for me. I am vested in the life of Kate Shugak. In this story she is at a turning point in her life. As always, murder and mayhem surround her. When I started reading these books, I missed this one, so have gone back to read it. It fills in gaps in my knowledge of Shugak's life. I always enjoy the glimpse into the non-touristy Alaskan life, especially the ways of the Alaskan Natives. Dana Stabenow is a master at describing the setting and the characters.
George
Mar 31, 2016 George added it
Shelves: audible
Another great Kate Schugak Alaska mystery. I can just picture Kate getting lost somewhere in Alaska after major trauma. Main characters are Kate and Chopper Jim...oh and Mutt plays a big role--defending Kate's honor.. Stabenow does a great job with all of them. I especially like her description of Kate's weak knee impression of a blonde Russian. The good guys collar the [big-bad-Russian] 'perps and all ends well.
Helen
Feb 22, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing
This intallment of the series featuring Alaskan PI Kate Shugak does two of the things I like best: it takes me to a new place (the wild west coast of Alaska) and gives me a real feel for another part of Alaskan life (aviation out in the Bush). I also quite enjoyed the way that Stabenow handles Kate's deep grief and isolation from her friends. The mystery involves the Russian mafia and the theft of plutonium.
Kem
Sep 22, 2015 Kem rated it it was amazing
Excellent plot, bad guys, irritating Feds, undercover trooper and lost Kate found. Another edge-of-your-seat book in this series. Kate came back to life when she was forced to get involved in a scary investigation that had her literally fighting for her life twice. A must read because I had to know what came next after Jack was killed in the last book. Will she have Johnny now?
Robin
Jun 30, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I read the reviews of the one before this and because I couldn't face losing Jack Morgan I didn't read it. I'll go back at the end and get to it then.

That said, this is very good. I like Chopper Jim and it's nice to see Kate come out of the haze of pain.

Thank goodness for Mutt.

As usual Marguerite Gavin did a wonderful job. I love the audio of these books so much.
The Danamaniacs: Midnight Come Again *SPOILERS* 1 6 May 08, 2013 08:34PM
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • Firestorm (Anna Pigeon, #4)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #24)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)