Start by marking “Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)

Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak #10)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,949 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Kate Shugak, a former investigator for the Anchorage D.A. and now a p.i. for hire, is missing after a winter spent in mourning. Alaska State Trooper Jim Chopin, Kate's best friend, needs her to help him work a new case. He discovers her hiding out in Bering, a small fishing village on Alaska's western coast, living and working under an assumed name -- working hard, as 18-h ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Come Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Come Again

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Best Literary Mysteries
388th out of 954 books — 2,166 voters
A Cold Day For Murder by Dana StabenowA Fatal Thaw by Dana StabenowDead In The Water by Dana StabenowA Cold-Blooded Business by Dana StabenowPlay With Fire by Dana Stabenow
Diana Gabaldon's The Methadone List
12th out of 35 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

I've not reviewed any of the other fourteen Kate Shugak novels, simply because it would be redundant; however, for shear entertainment purposes, you cannot beat this series of novels.

Not only did I love the Kate Shugak character, I want to BE Kate Shugak. :-) She's tiny but mighty, and if you piss her off she'll kick your @$$ and take your $hit, and if she doesn't do it, her dog, Mutt, will.

These novels also gave me a desire to visit Alaska that I admit has been somewhat tempered by Caribou Bar
MIDNIGHT COME AGAIN was my introduction to Dana Stabenow and Kate Shugak. In this I was lucky, because earlier books in the series were out of print by then, and MCA was the earliest one on the shelf at Borders. It represents a turning point of sorts in Kate's life, so while I had to infer the backstory from what some readers would shun as spoilers for previous books, I could live with that.

Actually, I would have been able to live with it anyway. Nothing, including spoilers, can spoil a really
Dana Stabenow does it again. In the 10th installment of the Kate Shugak series, this one is another winner. When Alaskan State Trooper Jim Chopin have been requested to track down Kate Shugak, who went MIA for a couple of months, after the loss of her boyfriend, Jack Morgan. Undercover, Jim finds her in Bering Alaska under an assumed name at a local air field. Both of them have twelve-hour shifts. And when midnight strikes again, that's when one takes over for the other. Things get dicey, when t ...more
Barbara ★
I just can't say enough about this series. I absolutely love Dana Stabenow's writing and her heroine Kate Shugak (and all the supporting characters too!). This one caught me by surprise and chapter one actually had me looking back at the cover to make sure I was reading the right book. An Alaskan original, Kare Shugak is one of a kind and lots of fun even when she isn't speaking to anyone. After the events of Hunter's Moon, Kate has lost her will to live and is hiding out in Bering Alaska workin ...more
Kate Shugak is missing. All of her friends and family are worried. She's never left without a word. State trooper Jim Chopin was setting off to look for her but got waylaid into an under cover job working with the FBI. Let me tell you the female FBI agent is an irritating bully who in my opinion wants to further her career but not really look at facts.

The job takes Jim to Bering, Alaska where to his surprise he finds Kate (sorry little spoiler) working under an assumed name. Basically she is hid
I really like these books and nothing like a bit of insomnia to help finish reading!
Kate Shugak series, book #10. I had to give myself a break after reading book #9 but some time had passed and I needed a good book to take into the field with me. This did the trick. I was happy to visit with Kate again and glad to know she is doing okay. Now I'm ready for #11.
The Kate Shugak series massively appealed to me. She is a moral, if not slightly damaged (aren't we all?!) Native Alaskan woman who solves mysteries around Alaska and has a wolf-dog roommate. I started reading them in Unalaska and continued in Dillingham and still think that anybody who wants to visit Alaska but can't afford the air-fare could get a pretty good tour, not to mention enjoying some well-crafted mystery, by reading these books.
Bruce Snell
Midnight Come Again is book number Ten in the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow - 4 stars. At the end of book 9 Kate's long term love, Jack Morgan, was murdered. This book picks up the story about 10 months later - Kate has been missing most of that time. Sgt. Jim Chopin of the Alaska State Police is assigned a special mission to Bering, Alaska to locate a Russian gangster suspected of smuggling Plutonium - and who should he run into in Bering, but Kate.

This is a story about Kate dealing with
Mike Finn
"Midnight Come Again" opens like a Tom Clancy novel with a rogue Russian military unit killing people in an armed robbery in Moscow.

It was well written and intriguing but it left me with one big question: where is Kate Shugak?

I'm fairly sure this is the reaction that Dana Stabenow expected me to have as this is the question the whole novel sets out to answer.

The events in most of this novel are not seen from Kate's point of view but from Jim Chopin's. Jim has been asking around the Park to see i
Elizabeth White
I'm not sure 4 stars is enough here. Maybe 5 stars would better express how much I liked this book. Couldn't put it down. I read the first 4 books in order, then skipped the next four because this one (the 9th) was the earliest that my library had available on the day I was checking out books. This is my favorite so far. Kate Shugak is a real, authentic person, more 3-dimensional than many of the protagonists one frequently sees in contemporary mysteries. She keeps developing as the series conti ...more
Mary JL
Nov 02, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone! Try the series it's great
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
An absolutely top-notch entry in Stabenow's Kate Shugak series. It has several extra pluses here. First, it takes place away from Kate and Jim's usual stomping grounds in Niniltna and The Park, so we get a new Alaskan city as a background--and Stabenow knows Alaska well!

Second, since Jim and Kate are both working incognito, they do not have the backing of all their usual clan of friends

Third, Stabenow cleverly shifts the point of view back and forth from Jim to Kate. Usually, we get mainly Kate'
Randy Daugherty
Grief, we all handle it differently.Jack Morgan is dead, the funeral has come and now his killers sit in jail awaiting trial having their home country of Germany decline to have them back.
The Park, has gone quiet, and all know why but none know how to fix it. Kate Shugak, former D.A. investigator, private p.i.,deck hand,hunting guide,and the heir apparent as the chief tribal leader is missing and none know where she has gone.
Her cabin sits empty, dust covering the shelves that are bare, somethin
Susan K
I'm in the midst of reading this, the 10th (I believe) book in a series of Kate Shugak stories. After getting my kindle (the BEST gift David has ever given me), I've spent some time rediscovering books/authors I've read earlier in my life. I've read a few of the Kate Shugak books before, but have now read them from first on... It's fun reconnecting with them with some of my new experiences (it's kinda cool to read about Alaska and think..HEY! I know where she's talking about).
Stabenow's series i
Une nouveauté dès le départ de ce tome, suite de Hunter's Moon qui introduisait de grands bouleversements dans la vie de l'héroine et la série en général. Un point de vue autre que celui de Kate Shugak, puisque les premiers chapitres s'ouvrent avec l'irrésistible Chopper Jim, Jim Chopin, le Park Ranger du parc national fictif créé par l'auteur.
Chopper Jim est embauché par le FBI pour démasquer une opération à Bering menée par des terroristes russes, alors qu'il est à la recherche de Kate, dispar
This was my first Kate Shugak book and though I liked the descriptions of the Alaska setting and strong central characters, I did feel that it was probably the wrong book to read as a first introduction to the series. The first two hundred or so pages of the book seem primarily to focus on Kate's recovery from something that happened to her in the previous book and Jim dealing with this new Kate; less on a plot line. If you are a follower of these books then maybe this was necessary but for some ...more
This is another suspenseful page turner for me. I am vested in the life of Kate Shugak. In this story she is at a turning point in her life. As always, murder and mayhem surround her. When I started reading these books, I missed this one, so have gone back to read it. It fills in gaps in my knowledge of Shugak's life. I always enjoy the glimpse into the non-touristy Alaskan life, especially the ways of the Alaskan Natives. Dana Stabenow is a master at describing the setting and the characters.
Excellent plot, bad guys, irritating Feds, undercover trooper and lost Kate found. Another edge-of-your-seat book in this series. Kate came back to life when she was forced to get involved in a scary investigation that had her literally fighting for her life twice. A must read because I had to know what came next after Jack was killed in the last book. Will she have Johnny now?
I have to admit I read the reviews of the one before this and because I couldn't face losing Jack Morgan I didn't read it. I'll go back at the end and get to it then.

That said, this is very good. I like Chopper Jim and it's nice to see Kate come out of the haze of pain.

Thank goodness for Mutt.

As usual Marguerite Gavin did a wonderful job. I love the audio of these books so much.
Where is Kate? She has been grieving Jack but no one has seen her for months. Sargeant Jim Chopin needs her help on a federal case and looks everywhere. George finally admits to flying her to Anchorage and that she was hurt but doesn't know where she went from there. Jim takes on the undercover case and goes to Bering and who of all people does he find in Bering, miles away from her homestead and using another name but Kate Shugak. This book was a tear jerker but not as bad as the previous one. ...more
I stayed up til the wee hours with this one! Kate Shugak has left her homestead, changed her name, and abandoned her friends in her deep grief. Meanwhile, Jim Chopin has been tapped to go undercover by the FBI to trace a Russian Mafia plutonium smuggling scheme. Off he goes to Bering, where he takes a job as a freight handler at the local airstrip. Imagine his surprise when the other employee turns out to be Kate! This novel features Jim Chopin prominently and much of it is told from his point o ...more
Jul 11, 2012 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Jeff Dickison
This is the book after Jack Morgan dies and Stabenow handles it well. She and Chopper Jim work together to stop a Russian gang from laundering money through an Alaskan bank. Well done with plenty of action and some nice surprises. Recommended.
Deborah Wall
Return to life

Kate takes on a little more than murder in this story of nuclear material, money, and the FBI. She is also struggling with the loss of the love of her life and has gone even further into the Alaskan bush.
After the tragic events of Hunter's Moon, Alaskan PI Kate Shugak disappears from the Park and Jim Chopin sets out to find her. The question for readers of the Kate Shugak series isn't so much WHERE is Kate, but HOW is she? Chopper Jim finds her hiding out in Bering, nursing her wounds - both figurative and literal.

Ultimately this book is about grief and survival, and surviving grief. It has huge doses of Stabenow's unique blend of cinematic action to keep you on the edge of your seat instead of
I loved having Chopper Jim as the focus of the first bit of the story; he's a fun character and I always thought he was a bit of a larger-than-life figure, so having a little time to get in his head and see what kind of man he is was a real treat. And boy, did I need a treat after Hunter's Moon. I was on pins and needles, waiting to see how Kate was doing after that horrible Autumn, so it was nice to have Jim act as a buffer before I found myself in Kate's company again. Though it gave me time t ...more
Readers who stopped reading her series because the way her previous book ended are missing out on how life continues.
The continuing saga of Kate Shugak, as usual read out of order by me...

This one has Russians, fishing boats, Bering, smuggling, a couple of casualties, some bonks on the head, some FBI agents, some politicians, airplanes, a little girl named Stephanie, an old classmate of Kate's, the infamous Chopper Jim, a couple romps in the hay....and of course my favorite part, Mutt, half wolf, half dog....

Not sure if I wasn't paying attention or if there was some flow missteps along the way....I felt like I
Mar 29, 2011 Jack rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: alaska
Well, I finished my first Alaska Stabenow's Kate Shugak novel. This is the 10th novel but I did not feel that I was missing a lot even though there was a lot of pre-novel action that was ultimately revealed. This was much more sophisticated than I had expected. the Russian mob, pluonium, etc. The story moved along quickly. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Alaskan village life and the local people and life. Hope we get to see similar things in July! I did not know however that the author ...more
The Danamaniacs: Midnight Come Again *SPOILERS* 1 6 May 08, 2013 08:34PM
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • A Wild and Lonely Place
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)
A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3) Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6) A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2) Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)