Buffalo Afternoon

Buffalo Afternoon

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Buffalo Afternoon is the story of three generations of the Bravado family—Italian American, working-class, determined, proud, troubled. At the heart of this enthralling novel is Pete, a Vietnam vet whose fate is shaped by his grandfather's beliefs about America and reshaped by a cataclysm of American history. Reading group guide included.
Published February 17th 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Afternoon

Dead Centre by Owen  JonesClotho's Loom by Shawn StJeanThe Yanks Are Starving by Glen CraneyBeneath the Bamboo by Jonathon JonesSilencer by Andy McNab
Novels Featuring Military Veterans
27th out of 39 books — 18 voters
The Wishbones by Tom PerrottaMachine Dreams by Jayne Anne PhillipsThe Country by David PlanteAll-Bright Court by Connie Rose PorterEdisto by Padgett Powell
ALA Notable Books
11th out of 12 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Chrissie
The different chapters switch between different times and places, but they are all about Pete, as a child and as a Vietnam veteran. The first chapter is beautiful - in its description of rice paddies, water buffalo and village life there in Vietnam. Then in chapter two it is after the war. Look at these lines from this chapter:

"When you go over there, no one tells you. You are going to have to live with these memories the rest of your life. This is one blackboard, man, that doesn't erase."

"I ha...more
Michael Depalo
I read about the author while reading her obituary in the Los Angeles Times several weeks ago. The article said she had written a critically acclaimed book about Vietnam. People thought she could not write a book about the war in Vietnam.....she certainly did, and it was a wonderful read. It was an emotional roller coaster throughout the book.
Jill
A beautifully written account of Brooklynite & Vietnam Vet, Pete Bravado. The Vietnam scenes are achingly & brutally frank. Susan F. Schaeffer recently died: her NYTimes obit mentioned this book as a definitive Vietnam novel.
Andrea
I recommend this book to all who did not live through the 60s and 70s or did not intimately know any Vietnam veterans. It is a phenomenally good book, and, because of its broad scope, a hugely informative one.
Peggy
Serving in Vietnam, Pete witnesses a buddy carried to the medevac, calling for his leg. Pete hands him his leg and stands dumbfounded as the friend clutches it, as he's loaded into the helicopter. Pete witnesses an ARVN smash a new baby, headfirst into a tree. And he watches a truck explode, leaving two friends nothing but skeletons from the hips down.
Needless to say, the imagery is vivid, sometimes hallucinogenic. The kid from Brooklyn, thrust into the Apocalyptic nightmare of jungle warfare....more
Alfred
I read this book back in high school 03, this was the first novel I had read from beginning to end. It was recommended to me by a teacher after I told her, "Books just don't keep me interested". My love for reality in war was quickly picked up by my teacher and she handed me this book in its original Teal cover. The story from beginning to end is a great portrayal of the times back during Vietnam. This follows the story of a young troubled man from young adulthood to a hardened Vietnam vet. The...more
Ruth Tucker
Very depressing at times. Yet helpful to understand trama of the era.
Nancy Mcdaniel
Jan 31, 2012 Nancy Mcdaniel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
This book was really astonishing; I can't believe that I didn't know about it before. It should be required reading for anyone whose responsibility it is to "wage war". Also for anyone who was in Vietnam or knew anyone who served. And for anyone who loves a vet of any war. It is beautifully written and lyrical in many places. But the atrocities - on both sides - and details of the war were very difficult to read. I felt like I was there. I ached for all these good (and not so good) men. And Pete...more
Diane
The BEST war story that I have encountered. Excellent character development. Hard to put this one down! A great find for reading clubs!
Ashruska
A heartbreaking story of a young man before, during and after his tour of duty in Viet Nam.
Peter
Could not finish this, one of the worst books that I ever started.
Kim
Oct 04, 2007 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
contemporary:vietnam-----------not read yet
Panthère Rousse
Panthère Rousse marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Issybul
Issybul marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Margaretb
Margaretb marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Anya The Snow Fox The Madness of a Seduced Woman The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat Time in Its Flight